C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

A.I.R. Hole Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 11:15 AM
ranger725
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A.I.R. Hole Plugs

What is the correct plug for a '66 BB exhaust manifold with A.I.R. holes? I've seen plugs with a square end for tightening as well as plugs with hex key indents that are more flush with the manifold. I'm not running an air pump so I need to plug the holes.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:18 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

There is no such thing as correct plugs. Non CA cars just got manifolds with no fittings. If I was you I would save the old mainfolds and buy new repros without the holes.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:39 AM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,030 Likes on 670 Posts

This question came up about a year ago on the NCRS Tech Forum. It caught my attention because when I get around to adding the 427 to my 65 Smallblock Coupe, I'll probably buy the Dorman repro's and they are the types with the A.I.R. holes. Most guys have used the pipe thread plugs in the past but they only reach a couple of the threads. JohnZ replied with this...They're 1/4"-18 NPSF (National Straight Pipe Thread). At the time, some folks thought that Grainger might be able to supply them but I was unable to dig up a listing for the NSPF plugs. The pic used for the Dorman replacements shows plugs in place but not sure which ones they are.
Mike T - Prescott AZ

Last edited by Vet65te; 01-31-2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:39 PM
ranger725
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
There is no such thing as correct plugs. Non CA cars just got manifolds with no fittings. If I was you I would save the old mainfolds and buy new repros without the holes.
My car has the original manifolds with holes (plugged) and and no a.i.r. It was sold to a dealer in Montana. It had the square pipe plugs which I removed when I was restoring them. Both LI Corvette and Paragon sell the plugs, but they are the hex set screw type. It would seem to me that there were non-California cars built with a.i.r. plugged hole manifolds.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:42 PM
ranger725
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vet65te
This question came up about a year ago on the NCRS Tech Forum. It caught my attention because when I get around to adding the 427 to my 65 Smallblock Coupe, I'll probably buy the Dorman repro's and they are the types with the A.I.R. holes. Most guys have used the pipe thread plugs in the past but they only reach a couple of the threads. JohnZ replied with this...They're 1/4"-18 NPSF (National Straight Pipe Thread). At the time, some folks thought that Grainger might be able to supply them but I was unable to dig up a listing for the NPSF plugs. The pic used for the Dorman replacements shows plugs in place but not sure which ones they are.
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Thanks, I saw those. I just wonder why LI Corvette and Paragon are selling the hex set screw type plugs. I inquired but haven't been able to get an answer.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:46 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger725
My car has the original manifolds with holes (plugged) and and no a.i.r. It was sold to a dealer in Montana. It had the square pipe plugs which I removed when I was restoring them. Both LI Corvette and Paragon sell the plugs, but they are the hex set screw type. It would seem to me that there were non-California cars built with a.i.r. plugged hole manifolds.
If the engine was an A.I.R. model, the manifolds were machined to accept the air tubes. If it was non A.I.R., the same manifolds didn't have the embossments machined for the bore step and threads. Maybe not all cases but some/many cases.

So if you're implying the factory plugged the non A.I.R. engines, the answer is no.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:00 AM
Mike67nv
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by MikeM
If the engine was an A.I.R. model, the manifolds were machined to accept the air tubes. If it was non A.I.R., the same manifolds didn't have the embossments machined for the bore step and threads. Maybe not all cases but some/many cases.

So if you're implying the factory plugged the non A.I.R. engines, the answer is no.
I agree.

In all my years at the Fremont plant, I don’t recall every seeing a K19 (Air Injection Reactor) Chevy engine (small block or big block) go out the door with plugs in the manifold.

Specific engines codes destined to have K19 installed were the only engines to get drilled manifolds – there were other engine differences like distributors, timing etc. The manifolds, plugs and small air tubes inside the manifold were installed at the engine plant. Assembly plants removed the manifold plugs before the manifold air pipes were installed.

All of the plugs I remember were hex head, but any one plugging a K19 exhaust manifold couldn’t be too concerned about originality.

Last edited by Mike67nv; 02-01-2015 at 02:07 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To A.I.R. Hole Plugs

Quick Reply: A.I.R. Hole Plugs