C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Found Race Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 03:28 PM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts

Going through some of my old stuff found these pictures and articles relating to Laurie Craig. Westwood was a unique track and hosted many of the top racers and machines of the times. A good friend raced Datsun 510 and 240Z up there and I remember it was usually raining and the moniker for the track was Wetwood. One interesting tidbit about Laurie Craig was that in 1968 he drove a McLaren Group 7 car for owner Chris Dougall. In a race on July of that year Chris decided to drive the McLaren himself and crashed, totally demolishing the McLaren and dashing Laurie's dream of driving in Group 7. Later, in 69, it was rumored that Laurie installed an engine that was built for the crashed McLaren in the Corvette.

Some other guys that raced Corvettes at Westwood were Rick Stark, and Jerry Fiorito, both of which still race at vintage events on the west coast.

The Corvette in the last two pictures from Westwood is unidentified. Possibly Laurie Craig?

Last edited by K2; 02-07-2015 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:34 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 234 Posts

K2, you do not happen to have any Cascade Sports Car Club racing results from the 60's or 70's by chance? My 63 with Pat Usher driving raced with this club a lot but they have no records from this time period. Thanks

Steve
Old 02-07-2015, 06:26 PM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by C2Racer
K2, you do not happen to have any Cascade Sports Car Club racing results from the 60's or 70's by chance? My 63 with Pat Usher driving raced with this club a lot but they have no records from this time period. Thanks

Steve
Steve;
I coouldn't find any references to Pat Usher but did find some interesting stuff from the 4 Cylinder Sports Car Club of Oregon which later became the Cascade Sports Car Club. The main venues at that time (50s and 60s) were Tillamook Oregon, Deer Park Washington, Bremerton Washington, Shelton Washington, Vanport Oregon (also known as Delta Park), Abbotsford British Columbia, Arlington Washington, Bellingham Washington and Mary Hill Loops hill climb Washington. Westwood started in 1959 and Seattle International Raceways in 1960. I attended events at Westwood, Arlington, Seattle International (now Pacific Raceways),and Bremerton. I'll post up some pictures of these Glory days of Racing as I get a chance to organize them.
Regards
Klaus
Old 02-07-2015, 08:53 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

Thanks Klaus,

Mine was racing in 66 - 76 in and around Portland and Seattle. Went to Canada in the early 80's running IMSA and T/A.

Sorry for the hijack.

Steve
Old 02-08-2015, 02:08 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Originally Posted by C2Racer
Thanks Klaus,

Mine was racing in 66 - 76 in and around Portland and Seattle. Went to Canada in the early 80's running IMSA and T/A.

Sorry for the hijack.

Steve
Steve, not to hi-jack this post even further, but I was wondering if you were coming to Indy this year? I'll be there with Jim Glass again. He's signed up for both Group 6, and the Pro/Am.

Jim's been talking to Tony Parella, and Tony's got lot's of things planned for this years event, to make it even better. The Speedway's committed to promoting it much more this time around, too. I don't think they realized how popular vintage racing was, and how big a crowd it could draw.

I hope we see you there again this June!
Old 02-08-2015, 09:28 AM
midstyle
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

here's a pic of 1964 VIN 100315, taken in 1977, in Calgary Alberta. Owned by a good friend of mine and his brother. Back then, I would have called it orange.

c
Old 02-08-2015, 12:43 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by gbvette62
Steve, not to hi-jack this post even further, but I was wondering if you were coming to Indy this year? I'll be there with Jim Glass again. He's signed up for both Group 6, and the Pro/Am.

Jim's been talking to Tony Parella, and Tony's got lot's of things planned for this years event, to make it even better. The Speedway's committed to promoting it much more this time around, too. I don't think they realized how popular vintage racing was, and how big a crowd it could draw.

I hope we see you there again this June!
Yes, I will be there running the Pro Am again. We have finally got my car hooking up better so hopefully I will be a little more competitive. Will see? See you in June!

Steve
Old 02-08-2015, 12:46 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by midstyle
here's a pic of 1964 VIN 100315, taken in 1977, in Calgary Alberta. Owned by a good friend of mine and his brother. Back then, I would have called it orange.

c
Wow! Pretty remarkable to find a pic and known owner. Cool!

Steve
Old 02-08-2015, 09:57 PM
actionguru
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts
AK Events Coordinator

Default Great Info

All.
Thank you for the input on Laurie Craig's (our) 64 race car.
We are flying down to meet and video Mr. Craig ASAP.
He sounds full of **** & vinegar and mind sharp as an old racer.
My wife & I are planning on documenting his racing history as well as the 64 vette.
Hopefully this will lead to a possible book/ documentary on this very cool discovery.
My wife & I received absolutely no help or positive response from DMV, National auto insurance or dealerships.
Only help & leads came from guys on this site, NCRS & Westwood 50 assoc.
We try to drive her when sunny. Only 15 miles of road in Sitka.
Would be fun to take her around the track again. Still fast.
Thanks again.
Attached Images   
Old 02-08-2015, 10:26 PM
vintagecorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I owned this Corvette. When I bought it there was a rollbar installed. I removed it.

I bought the car in Millbay, BC just north of Victoria and sold it to a guy that took it to somewhere is the San Jaun Islands and then Alaska.

I heard that Laurie Craig lives in Shawnigan Lake, near Millbay.

Last edited by vintagecorvette; 02-08-2015 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:11 PM
GDD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by actionguru
My wife & I have just discovered we are the owners of the 1964 red corvette coupe Laurie Craig raced/won at Westwood race track, BC and others in the mid 1960's. There are several Westwood videos on the web with this car racing. Mr. Craig told us personally that Stirling Moss also drove this corvette around the Westwood track.

We are seeking any additional information & pictures concerning this corvette and Mr Laurie Craig.

VIN# 40837s100315

Stephanie & Dave Lambdin
1-(907) 623-0973
captaind80@hotmail.com
Sitka, AK
Contact Jim Gessner via the Forum. He may know about the car and/or will know people who do.

Good luck.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:13 PM
GDD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by actionguru
My wife & I have just discovered we are the owners of the 1964 red corvette coupe Laurie Craig raced/won at Westwood race track, BC and others in the mid 1960's. There are several Westwood videos on the web with this car racing. Mr. Craig told us personally that Stirling Moss also drove this corvette around the Westwood track.

We are seeking any additional information & pictures concerning this corvette and Mr Laurie Craig.

VIN# 40837s100315

Stephanie & Dave Lambdin
1-(907) 623-0973
captaind80@hotmail.com
Sitka, AK
Agree with Dr L88. Contact Jim Gessner
Old 02-09-2015, 11:54 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by GDD
Agree with Dr L88. Contact Jim Gessner
David and I have been in contact. I posted the car last Wednesday. Today I am adding a lot to the REGISTRY site including the ''racing'' photo from back in the day. All good stuff. It is really neat that LAURIE CRAIG is still with us. He had a great racing career with much success.

More to follow.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:48 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by K2
Going through some of my old stuff found these pictures and articles relating to Laurie Craig. Westwood was a unique track and hosted many of the top racers and machines of the times. A good friend raced Datsun 510 and 240Z up there and I remember it was usually raining and the moniker for the track was Wetwood. One interesting tidbit about Laurie Craig was that in 1968 he drove a McLaren Group 7 car for owner Chris Dougall. In a race on July of that year Chris decided to drive the McLaren himself and crashed, totally demolishing the McLaren and dashing Laurie's dream of driving in Group 7. Later, in 69, it was rumored that Laurie installed an engine that was built for the crashed McLaren in the Corvette.

Some other guys that raced Corvettes at Westwood were Rick Stark, and Jerry Fiorito, both of which still race at vintage events on the west coast.

The Corvette in the last two pictures from Westwood is unidentified. Possibly Laurie Craig?
EXCELLENT HISTORY AND PHOTOS. Thanks for posting. It will help me with the update I am doing for the REGISTRY OF CORVETTE RACE CARS.

Quick Reply: Found Race Corvette