C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1966 BB coupe w/flares

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 09:41 PM
R. Seghi
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Default 1966 BB coupe w/flares

Ok, I finally bought the Corvette that I always wanted. A C2 427 4spd with flares. I found this on this site. No I'm not going to restore or restomod. I am going to fix the body and flares, prime it for now, get it running and go from there. I will need to buy new sidepipes as these are rusted out. It will need a complete brake job, front susp. rear susp.
Ok well maybe I will be restoring a lot of it but mostly just the mechanicals of it.

Last edited by R. Seghi; 06-18-2015 at 02:23 AM.

Popular Reply

05-17-2019, 12:49 AM
32boyd
Cruising

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rudy's Splitwindow

Originally Posted by 65 fi
Saddle, Great photos of Rudy's car. I use to go watch it race it the 70s. Regardless, those wheels are not Jongbloeds. I believe Rudy crafted the flares for his car.
Robert, your car will look bitchin too. Cannot wait to see it.
I actually own the car now Rudy was my neighbor as a kid. I use to go to his house/shop to stare at it and clean it all the time. I was finally able to have my dream car as Rudy finally decided to sell it to me 7 years ago, sadly. I even had him sign the glove box door and told him his pride and not would never be sold, he was like a second dad to me.
The wheels are Joengbloed racing wheels and the flares were modified quite a bit, I do have molds for them and have built a few sets for friends.
I get a few people saying why would sp.eone ruin a car like this, they don't understand it was done in 64 and was purchased to race. It has 41k original miles and I just love it.
Sadly Rudy passed away a few years ago he was a great, smart and kind man, if you knew or met him you'd agree

Thanks Dave

Old 02-08-2015, 09:43 PM
R. Seghi
Burning Brakes

pics of it when it arrived in my garage.
Attached Images      
Old 02-08-2015, 09:50 PM
R. Seghi
Burning Brakes

My friend has a 66 BB Coupe. Originally a BB car. He says that there is 4 bumps on the right side fender well just above the battery that tells you if you have a BB car or a SB car. Mine has the same bumps. Is there any truth to this story? BB is 4 bumps while SB is 4 holes. Sounds feasible but just seems so off the wall to me.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:48 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Looks like you got yourself a nice project car.
Those flares make it a great candidate for the look of a road racer.
Good luck going forward.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:22 PM
Boyan
Drifting

Received 466 Likes on 294 Posts

Default 66

The bumps and holes you are referring to for 66 is where the expansion tank on a small block would be mounted. Big block cars generally have these holes filled with "Bond" from the factory, while small block cars have the tank mounted. You have to know the inner fender is original and that someone just didnt plug the holes. There are many more and difinitive ways to confirm a big block car and there have been lots of posts on it. One biggie is the fuel line.
Boyan
Old 02-08-2015, 11:41 PM
R. Seghi
Burning Brakes

Ok Boyan. My numbers match and I have the big fuel line with the big half shafts too so I'm confident that my car is real. Are there any other signs to look for?
Old 02-08-2015, 11:52 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default Cool glad to hear you are keeping the attitude!

Originally Posted by R. Seghi
Ok, I finally bought the Corvette that I always wanted. A C2 427 4sod with flares. I found this on this site. No I'm not going to resore or restomod. I am going to fix the body and flares, prime it for now, get it running and go from there. I will need to buy new sidepipes as these are rusted out. It will need a complete brake job, front susp. rear susp.
Ok well maybe I will be restoring a lot of it but mostly just the mechanicals of it.
I can see getting it running and driving first!

With the flares when you get ready to tackle that, first I see guys stuff just a hair too much tire on these and the tires come up and crack the glass! I would sand these getting all of the crap off and then smooth, then take a dremel and grind out the split and re glass that, then sand smooth again and then overlay a layer of glass mat and resin right over the entire fender. guldstrand used to sell the Thumper flares out of his catalog, but not in the last 30 years or so!

You can take off the bumpers for that racing look!

Sometimes Hooker sells on Ebay at rock bottom! Keep an eye out for that to possibly get a deal.

Other than the general stuff that you know you will need, the largest capital purchase I would recommend to round this car's style and great attitude is, Duntov Motors had the 1966 no louver hood with the cowl side extension as Penske ran on his 1966 Sebring Coupe #9.

I can't read the license plate on the Computer I am using, but when i am in my books next, I will keep an eye out for this car since it sounds like you are liking the character and planning to keep it. Do you have any of the previous Owners names to help speed up the process because of my interest in looking?

PS get to know Dave S. now in Southgate/Cudahy, his number is in ads in Hemmings to save me from looking it up! You will thank me later!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 02-09-2015 at 12:08 AM.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:45 AM
Boyan
Drifting

Received 466 Likes on 294 Posts

Default 66

If you have the original engine, not just matching numbers, look no further. It seems like you have all the BB stuff from what you have posted.
Boyan
Old 02-09-2015, 01:18 AM
R. Seghi
Burning Brakes

Yes I do Boyan, thank you very much.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:23 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

You certainly have your work cut out for you... but I found out that that is a lot of fun also. Frustrating and wallet draining... but a lot of fun.

You have the right approach... get it safe, running and drivable, before you tackle phase two.

Remember, cars that need paint and other stuff get just as much attention as factory restos...
Corvettes are amazing.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:23 AM
R. Seghi
Burning Brakes

Yes TC it belonged to Kenneth Schmidt in Groveland Ca. I am keeping the road racing theme but I wondered if there is a better looking flare as the back is so big. Corvette City in Co. makes a nice one.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:34 AM
R. Seghi
Burning Brakes

The way I was told was that Ken bought it from the original owner in '67. He then flared it at his garage as he was a mechanic. The guy that I bought it from says that he started working at the garage in '78 as a teenager and that Kens wife Brenda drove it as her daily driver until 1983 when they parked it outside the garage on a dirt road. He kept in touch with them up to now and recently bought the Corvette the way that you see it here. He then ran into a difficult time and rather then let it sit again he listed it here to sell.

Last edited by R. Seghi; 09-26-2017 at 07:07 AM.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:55 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default Some of the WSCC events were held up there, mid state

The way I was told was that Ken bought it from the original owner in '67. He then flared it at his garage as he was a mechanic. The guy that I bought it from says that he started working at the garage in '78 and that his wife Brenda drove it as her daily driver until 1983 when they parked it in the garage. He kept n touch with them up to now and recently bought the Corvette the way that you see it here. He then ran a time difficulty and rather then let it sit again he listed it here to sell.
2nd Owner car and you are in touch with them, that is a dream if they share the history, Fresno and San Jose events might turn something up as to whether they were attending and competing at the events.

If you do take those large flares off, you could cast the fronts and install! The beauty of glass is you can work those, for a more aesthetic appeal. Also I would be interested in them, if you do sell or at least get a shot at them!
Old 02-09-2015, 02:44 AM
MrTrim
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 374 Likes on 171 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Dave S. In Southgate's number is 1-310-329-5334. He will have most everything you need at fair prices....ask me how I know...lol...27 Corvettes later I know his number by heart. If you can, go to his shop, you will be amazed at his inventory. Over 33 thousand square feet of vintage corvette parts. He's the best kept secret in the hobby I know of.
Chris

Last edited by MrTrim; 02-09-2015 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-09-2015, 07:33 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Fuel lines and half shafts are the same size on BB and SB cars. If the fuel line hasn't been cut up or replaced you can tell what it was from the bend just before the fuel pump. BB cars have a 90 deg bend in the fuel line to the pump. SB cars have a roughly 45 deg bend to the fuel pump. If there is no sign of a hood prop having been mounted on the right side of the hood - that is a positive sign for an original BB car. Bolt on caps securing the half shafts to the differential yokes is another - although that's something that could get changed out over the years. A rear sway bar is a sign of an original BB car - although someone could add one. It looks like it has a BB radiator - good.

That looks like quite a project. I like small fender flares but I think those rear ones would have to go. Good luck.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:27 AM
R. Seghi
Burning Brakes

Thx Chris, I'll check him out for sure. The license plate reads 66 FROG, I don't get it either so I'll be getting plates.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:31 AM
R. Seghi
Burning Brakes

I might be interested in selling the flares TC as I like the smaller flares too. Shoot me an offer for all four.

Get notified of new replies

To 1966 BB coupe w/flares

Old 02-09-2015, 11:11 AM
R. Seghi
Burning Brakes

I discovered that my clutch is stuck. Everything looks like it's hooked up but the pedal won't move. Any ideas?
Old 02-09-2015, 01:02 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default I'll clear some PM's and PM you with my contact info! Thanks!

I discovered that my clutch is stuck. Everything looks like it's hooked up but the pedal won't move. Any ideas?
Is the pedal stuck on the floor or just stuck up?

Can you get the tranny into gears and back out to neutral without pushing the clutch? And will the tranny spin?

Need more description!

Just a guess at this point without more troubleshooting, but maybe it was all apart and loosely reassembled for selling. The linkage alignment especially on the pivot ball would be one cause, the diaphragm collapsed (if that type of clutch), the wrong sized throwout bearing used (long and short), are some things! Or it is just not assembled- the pressure clutch isn't torqued down, etc..

It looks like you might keep the thread going so we can help you with the rough periods of initial Ownership!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 02-09-2015 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:42 PM
R. Seghi
Burning Brakes

Thx TC, offering those flares to you. Offer?

The pedal moves a little bit. I can put the trans. in 1st 2nd 4th and reverse gear and put it back in neutral but not
3rd. Did not check if it moves.

Quick Reply: 1966 BB coupe w/flares