C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Flushing Cooling System

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 07:50 AM
Rayfry
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flushing Cooling System

What's the best way to flush out a cooling system when replacing the radiator? I'm installing a new DeWitts radiator in my 63 and want to replace all the anti-freeze, not just the fluid in the radiator. After draining the radiator how do you remove the remaining fluid in the block? If you fill the radiator with new anti-freeze won't it just mix with the rest of the anti-freeze that's in the block?
Old 02-11-2015, 08:06 AM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Rayfry
What's the best way to flush out a cooling system when replacing the radiator? I'm installing a new DeWitts radiator in my 63 and want to replace all the anti-freeze, not just the fluid in the radiator. After draining the radiator how do you remove the remaining fluid in the block? If you fill the radiator with new anti-freeze won't it just mix with the rest of the anti-freeze that's in the block?
Prior to installing the new rad and with the old one still in place, I would just use a good quality flush product and follow the directions. Re getting all the old coolant out, there are 2 drain plugs, one on each side of the engine block. However, some are not easily accessible due to ignition shielding and possible other accessories.

Last edited by Jud Chapin; 02-11-2015 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-11-2015, 08:30 AM
mikebaskette
Instructor

White vinegar. No, I'm not kidding. Flush out the old system with a hose. Fill with white vinegar, let sit over night, flush with hose.
You will be interested in what comes out.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:39 AM
427/42566 coup
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

The block holds a lot of coolant. If possible drain block I just did this in Nov.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:53 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Make sure your flushing includes the heater core. If you are replacing the heater hoses, don't just wrangle them off of the H core, you could break the connection. Slit the hose and peel it off. Replace with new by coating the pipe with a tiny bit of white lithium grease. Dennis
Old 02-11-2015, 11:25 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
Make sure your flushing includes the heater core. If you are replacing the heater hoses, don't just wrangle them off of the H core, you could break the connection. Slit the hose and peel it off. Replace with new by coating the pipe with a tiny bit of white lithium grease. Dennis
I agree with your comments about slitting the heater hose and peeling it off the heater core nipple but I suggest using a touch of silicone die-electric grease when installing the new hose because petroleum based grease can degrade rubber.

Drain the radiator then remove the block plugs then remove the top heater hose and blow the heater core clear (with your mouth) to get all the old fluid out.

Fill the expansion tank up with water to the top and drain again until no more sediment comes out the block plugs then drain everything again to get all the water out. Reinstall the block plugs and heater hose and fill with G-05 and distilled water 50/50 mix and all will be good to go.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:48 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

tbarb...good point on the silicone, it is better. Dennis
Old 02-11-2015, 06:35 PM
schmibm
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is not crazy to use white vinegar. This is the best flush to use unless you have oil or grease in the system. I like to fill it with straight vinegar and run it for a few days before draining it. If it just sits cold in the system, it won't pull much. But if it's circulating around warm, it will strip tons of rust and lime.
Drain it out hot and flush with clear water until it no longer smells of vinegar. Fill the system with distiller water and run until warm. Drain this and you are now ready for coolant. I would recommend using concentrate coolant to get the freeze point you need with the remaining water you have in the system. Adjust with distilled water. Do not use tap water.
There are tons of coolants on the market a well. The choice is a challenge. The mainline brands available everywhere can cause issues with gaskets and seals. I have a favorite, but it is from the heavy duty diesel company I work for as a coolant engineer. So I won't offer it here. But if you want to know, IM me.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:24 PM
Mike67nv
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Rayfry
If you haven't read this article by JohnZ, it would be worth your time.

Attachment 47862952

Last edited by Mike67nv; 10-08-2022 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:02 AM
Chunkles
Intermediate

Default John Z article

Originally Posted by Mike67nv
If you haven't read this article by JohnZ, it would be worth your time.

Attachment 47862952
Do you know how I can get all articles by John Z? I am a relatively new owner of a 1966 C2 and his articles are priceless for me. I especially would like the article where he discusses design and characteristics of cooling system and troubleshooting.

I would like to know if it is possible to back flush the system as I have a lot of crud.
Thanks
Old 03-25-2015, 12:46 PM
Mike67nv
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Chunkles
Do you know how I can get all articles by John Z? I am a relatively new owner of a 1966 C2 and his articles are priceless for me. I especially would like the article where he discusses design and characteristics of cooling system and troubleshooting.

I would like to know if it is possible to back flush the system as I have a lot of crud.
Thanks
I don't know of any one source for John's articles, maybe he can chime in? The website below has a lot of them. I think a lot of us have started our own reference libraries, collecting articles and papers over the years.

http://lbfun.com/Corvette/Tech/vettetech.html
Old 03-25-2015, 03:59 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Chunkles

Thanks
I think this is the article you're looking for.

http://www.lbfun.com/warehouse/tech_...em/cooling.pdf

Get notified of new replies

To Flushing Cooling System

Quick Reply: Flushing Cooling System