C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 Battery Fill Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 12:53 PM
Edog
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C1 Battery Fill Tricks

I am having trouble filling the cells on my C1 battery. The way it's tucked under the fender makes it hard to access with my battery fill bottle and I keep overfilling some of the cells, resulting in acid running down the side into the battery tray - never a good thing. Are there any tips / tricks to topping it off without overfilling?
Old 03-25-2015, 12:58 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

A turkey baster with the big squeeze-bulb end works well... Or - get a maintenance free battery and buy one of those original-looking "tar top" covers for it and don't fill ANYthing.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:48 PM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,435 Likes on 738 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Turkey baster works great - suck up acid or water - then put your finger over the end to prevent dribbles.......
Baby nose sucker bulb works good too
Old 03-25-2015, 02:49 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Optima---- moved to the trunk.

Doug
Old 03-25-2015, 03:46 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
A turkey baster with the big squeeze-bulb end works well... Or - get a maintenance free battery and buy one of those original-looking "tar top" covers for it and don't fill ANYthing.
Frankie:

I KNOW that you are old enough to know that the proper tool for this job is a "battery filler" like the (older) gas stations always used. They are still made and sold in about all the auto stores……….even today. I have (and use) two in my garage.

For the OP, ditch the wife's turkey baster and buy this. Add 6 inches of clear Tygon tubing on the end if you really need to reach. It is also a great tool for starting a syphon to get the gas out of your tank if needed for maintenance. Lots of uses.

If you are unsure of the acid level, use a 4 inch piece of 3/16 inch diameter black rubber auto tubing to check the level where you can't easily see it. Just insert in any cell until it hits the plates, and then remove it. A faint "wet acid line" is visible on the black tubing. You want an inch or so of electrolyte over the top of the cell. Many batteries have a "fill to" mark in each cell that is good to use if you can see it. Otherwise use the black tubing.

Larry

Get notified of new replies

To C1 Battery Fill Tricks

Quick Reply: C1 Battery Fill Tricks