C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1958 Carburetor Options

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 11:46 PM
Dads58Vette
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1958 Carburetor Options

It's time to replace the carburetor on my '58 (a driver) due to a serious gas leaking issue. It's a Carter, but not original and I don't want to deal with rebuilding it. I'm trying to decide what my best option would be. Option 1 is that I can get a Carter WCFB 2669S to be "original" and convert to electric choke. Option 2 is getting an Edelbrock 600 CFM Performance with electric choke and adapter plate. The Carter option looks to be about $150-200 more right now and budget is a consideration, but also don't want any big regrets later. Thoughts and/or opinions?
Old 04-02-2015, 06:48 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I went with the Edelbrock on my '58. It's great.

I have to say though that the guy that installed it is a carb guru. It's been played with a little bit. Don't ask me what he did but whatever it was I have not of the problems other people complain about.

The cost to rebuild the original was about the same as the Edelbrock. The original has been bagged and boxed. The next owner can do what ever they want.

Richard Newton
Old 04-02-2015, 07:50 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

If you are going to be non-original anyway with an Edelbrock, you can get your WCFB restored like new (that is -- restored not just a rebuild kit) for about $350 from Bob Kunz, Chuck Smith or Daytona parts. You won't need a fugly adapter plate and blinged out air cleaner and nobody looking will not know its original AND the choke can work just fine if adjusted properly. I don't think that's much more $$$ than that Edelbrock and the do dads to make it work/look right will cost.
Attached Images  
Old 06-30-2016, 09:46 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Franki - This will drive you crazy.

I finally got a new air filter from Corvette Central. It's not a perfect reproduction but it's a lot closer than the blinged out Edelbrock filter. I have a perfect reproduction from Paragon for my old WCFB. This one isn't even close to the Paragon.

I have to say though that the car drives great with the Edelbrock. I may get the WCFB rebuilt though just for fun.

Richard Newton
1958 Shocks
Old 06-30-2016, 03:20 PM
Vette60
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 71 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
If you are going to be non-original anyway with an Edelbrock, you can get your WCFB restored like new (that is -- restored not just a rebuild kit) for about $350 from Bob Kunz, Chuck Smith or Daytona parts. You won't need a fugly adapter plate and blinged out air cleaner and nobody looking will not know its original AND the choke can work just fine if adjusted properly. I don't think that's much more $$$ than that Edelbrock and the do dads to make it work/look right will cost.
Second the remarks here. We had Bob Kunz restore the WCFB for the '60. It turned out great. Even mark a new carb tag based on our old, cracked in 1/2 original. Two week turnaround, door to door.

R.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:09 PM
C2 Hot Cam Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Default carbs

Originally Posted by Dads58Vette
It's time to replace the carburetor on my '58 (a driver) due to a serious gas leaking issue. It's a Carter, but not original and I don't want to deal with rebuilding it. I'm trying to decide what my best option would be. Option 1 is that I can get a Carter WCFB 2669S to be "original" and convert to electric choke. Option 2 is getting an Edelbrock 600 CFM Performance with electric choke and adapter plate. The Carter option looks to be about $150-200 more right now and budget is a consideration, but also don't want any big regrets later. Thoughts and/or opinions?
My Edlebrock was smooth & depenable but i switched to 650 Holley & got much better performamce cost $325
Old 07-01-2016, 02:39 AM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
Franki - This will drive you crazy.

I finally got a new air filter from Corvette Central. It's not a perfect reproduction but it's a lot closer than the blinged out Edelbrock filter. I have a perfect reproduction from Paragon for my old WCFB. This one isn't even close to the Paragon.

I have to say though that the car drives great with the Edelbrock. I may get the WCFB rebuilt though just for fun.

Richard Newton
1958 Shocks

My Corvette Central filter assembly for the Edelbrock on my 62 showed up Wednesday. Putting it on tomorrow. Looks good.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:07 PM
olchev
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone supply contact info for the WCFB rebuilders like Bob Kunz, Chuck Smith or Daytona parts? Thank You.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:13 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Randy G - Mine was back ordered for months. I think they finally got enough orders to make a few of them.

Speaking of air filters. Here's an article I wrote a few months back on air filters.

You'll notice that I simply ignored most of my advice when it came to my '58. I'm into the looks here.

Richard Newton

Last edited by rfn026; 07-02-2016 at 10:17 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1958 Carburetor Options

Quick Reply: 1958 Carburetor Options