C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Bent Half Shaft Flange. Can it be straightened?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 10:27 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Default Bent Half Shaft Flange. Can it be straightened?

It looks like I bent one of the outer flanges on a spare half shaft changing u-joints. I did a search and found I should have used a backing tool or another flange for support when pressing the joints out. I know now. Question is can I straighten the bent flange somehow? Is is possible? Is it reliable.

Thanks
Tom
Old 04-14-2015, 10:43 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Sky65
It looks like I bent one of the outer flanges on a spare half shaft changing u-joints. I did a search and found I should have used a backing tool or another flange for support when pressing the joints out. I know now. Question is can I straighten the bent flange somehow? Is is possible? Is it reliable.

Thanks
Tom
It is possible. YES. Many years ago Corvette Fever Magazine had an article about this. If you take your time and have a few special tools…..a special hardback fixture (you can buy) and a press. Basically the fixture gets you "close" and then you use the press a little at a time to get final straightness and alignment.

Is it practical…………..probably not. Replacements are available, although not exactly as original. Originals can also be sourced if absolutely needed.

I would think that if you only bent and straightened once, you would probably be okay for strength etc. If you bent it a few times, maybe not.

Larry

EDIT: I also remember a machined cylindrical rod with a slight taper on one end has also been used for this. A Driveshaft Speciality shop may have the tools and skill. You could try there.

Last edited by Powershift; 04-14-2015 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:55 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Powershift
It is possible. YES. Many years ago Corvette Fever Magazine had an article about this. If you take your time and have a few special tools…..a special hardback fixture (you can buy) and a press. Basically the fixture gets you "close" and then you use the press a little at a time to get final straightness and alignment.

Is it practical…………..probably not. Replacements are available, although not exactly as original. Originals can also be sourced if absolutely needed.

I would think that if you only bent and straightened once, you would probably be okay for strength etc. If you bent it a few times, maybe not.

Larry

EDIT: I also remember a machined cylindrical rod with a slight taper on one end has also been used for this. A Driveshaft Speciality shop may have the tools and skill. You could try there.
Thanks. Is the tool the same tool you should use to remove u-joints? I have a press. I may get the backing tool and try it. Then I will have the tool for future repairs.

Tom
Old 04-14-2015, 11:12 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

I have an extra if your interested...$30+ shipping (send a PM)
Old 04-14-2015, 11:13 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Thanks. Is the tool the same tool you should use to remove u-joints? I have a press. I may get the backing tool and try it. Then I will have the tool for future repairs.

Tom
Yes it is. There are two varieties: a standard strong back and a heavy duty strong back. The HD one is the one I have and recommend, and will provide more strength and flexibility for you. Not everyone sells both, but I believe Volunteer has both………probably a few others as well.

You might even try to Google Corvette Fever and "U-joint and/or Half-shaft joint replacement" or something similar to find the article. I believe Chris Petris was the mechanic and writer of the article. Probably ten years or so ago. I remember it since I was interested in doing this job for my 1967 car and he was able to straighten and re-use a bent flange. Based on the article, I ordered the HD strong back. It worked well for me doing the u-joint replacement work.

Larry

EDIT: FWIW, my car's u-joints and half-shaft joints were the originals. My 20 ton press almost gave up on me before I finished the job.

EDIT2: Super Chevy Parent Company apparently absorbed Corvette Fever. This may or may not be the exact article I mentioned, but it has a lot of the same info. Here is a pic of straightening using a press. http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/cor...pair/axle.html Checkout the full article for additional details and pics.

Last edited by Powershift; 04-15-2015 at 12:02 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:48 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I warped a halfshaft flange once getting a very stuck ujoint apart.

I used a half inch drive strong arm handle through the cup loop to straighten. I just messed with it until the ujoint went together and I couldn't feel any binding at all when working the joint.

If you have any binding, the joint won't last.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:27 AM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Larry. I will check out the article and I think I will get a "heavy duty strong back". My press is a 20 ton as well. Hope it will handle it!

Thanks Mike. Yeah I can't get the new u-joint in. It won't line up. I bent the flange pretty good. I don't know if I have the "umph" anymore or a bar long enough to make up the difference!. But I'm going to give it a try.

Thanks guys!
Tom
Old 04-15-2015, 08:51 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Thanks Larry. I will check out the article and I think I will get a "heavy duty strong back". My press is a 20 ton as well. Hope it will handle it!

Thanks Mike. Yeah I can't get the new u-joint in. It won't line up. I bent the flange pretty good. I don't know if I have the "umph" anymore or a bar long enough to make up the difference!. But I'm going to give it a try.

Thanks guys!
Tom
The flange is junk. Do you really want to go through this twice, with the half-shaft flailing around tearing up fiberglass the second time?
Old 04-16-2015, 09:46 AM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JohnZ
The flange is junk. Do you really want to go through this twice, with the half-shaft flailing around tearing up fiberglass the second time?
No I don't. And the car is rough enough don't need busted up fiberglass. I guess I should reconsider. I didn't think bending it and bending back would weaken the flange that much. After my engine rebuild I feel the need to "test" the limits of traction fairly often.

Tom
Old 04-16-2015, 04:31 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Sounds familiar. I also slightly bent a u joint flange the same way. The fix (if it could be called that) that was used was to remount the u flange back onto the spindle drive flange with the 4 bolts. A small washer was placed in the center between 2 bolts on both sides where the 'bend' was needed. The 4 bolts were then tightened down against the spindle drive flange.

Get notified of new replies

To Bent Half Shaft Flange. Can it be straightened?

Quick Reply: Bent Half Shaft Flange. Can it be straightened?