C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

new production frames

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 12:27 PM
grumpy10956
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new production frames

hi guys , does anyone make c2 & c3 new production frames ??
many thanks, grumpy
Old 04-29-2015, 12:30 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Corvette Specialties in Michigan, reproduces 63-82 frames. They can be difficult to deal with sometimes, but they make a very nice frame.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:37 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by gbvette62
Corvette Specialties in Michigan, reproduces 63-82 frames. They can be difficult to deal with sometimes, but they make a very nice frame.
Did they change there name? It use to be Vette Products of Michgan
Old 04-29-2015, 01:57 PM
grumpy10956
Racer

hi guys , i thought some was making full frames can they stamp a vin number on there frame ??

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Old 04-29-2015, 02:03 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Still is……………..http://www.vetteproducts.net

Larry
Old 04-29-2015, 02:31 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Vette Products of MI. I doubt that they would stamp a frame.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:05 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

NO, that was a mistake on my part, it is Vette Products that makes the frames. Corvette Specialties was a Corvette junk yard in Michigan, that closed a few years ago. I think either Vette Masters or Vette Visions, bought out much of their inventory.

I don't know if Neal will stamp a VIN in a one of his frames. America's Finest Corvettes in CA, sells restored frames, and I know Mike will stamp a VIN in his restored frames.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:39 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by grumpy10956
hi guys , i thought some was making full frames can they stamp a vin number on there frame ??
I would say No. I have never seen anybody search for a VIN on a frame before when purchasing a car. Even nice frames have VIN stamps that are very difficult to read with the body on. A good majority are simply impossible to read after blasting and painting or powder coating.

BTW, what year frame are you looking for? I have two that I will eventually be putting up for sale.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:08 PM
grumpy10956
Racer

hi , I live in the northeast and been thinking of & restoring a mid year, only we have rock salt and frame rot. posting here to find out what options I have ?
Old 04-29-2015, 06:59 PM
RestoMike
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I guess I don't get it......what's the point in stamping the VIN on a 'replacement' frame. The original frame is gone. Should one go to the means to stamp a replacement frame no matter what's stated is nearly impossible to see once the body is placed back onto the frame. Just say'n.......
Old 04-29-2015, 07:09 PM
Canuck62
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by RestoMike
I guess I don't get it......what's the point in stamping the VIN on a 'replacement' frame. The original frame is gone. Should one go to the means to stamp a replacement frame no matter what's stated is nearly impossible to see once the body is placed back onto the frame. Just say'n.......

I would stamp the vin on a frame for one simple reason,,, if it is stolen you still have one more place to look for the vin to prove proof of ownership
Old 04-29-2015, 07:45 PM
chevahaulic
Pro

They do sell stamps .... why not buy a set and punch the sequence yourself ? It isn't like it will increase the value if you have the perfect size, script letter / number size professionally applied. Like they said,..... few are going to lay on their backs to view your workmanship. They mainly look for rust and metal deterioration . If it is stolen, you get the check, the next owner gets the remains he bought for pennies on the dollar. It probably will not be on his worry list as long as the frame is straight and functional.

** With the number of restomods being built used good condition frames are very easy to come by... and reasonable. Create an ad and watch the mailbox fill to capacity. Good luck.

Last edited by chevahaulic; 04-29-2015 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:05 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 381 Likes on 267 Posts

If you are doing the swap over the winter I would order now, they will tell you 5 weeks, and it will be 3 plus months.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:12 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Stamping a frame to appear correct, would be a tough job, and I am not sure that it is even legal in most states. The original frame stamps were "rolled on" with a big tool that clamped down on the frame and not only stamped the frame, but also left a rectangular depression in the frame where the tool rolled he number on. Trying to recreate the look of this stamp would be a tall order, and of little value. This stamp is used by LEO's to verify VIN of the car when the VIN tag is missing, so I would think that a clearly bogus stamp on the frame, would cause more problems than it would solve.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 04-30-2015, 03:18 PM
chevahaulic
Pro

Originally Posted by John McGraw
Stamping a frame to appear correct, would be a tough job, and I am not sure that it is even legal in most states. The original frame stamps were "rolled on" with a big tool that clamped down on the frame and not only stamped the frame, but also left a rectangular depression in the frame where the tool rolled he number on. Trying to recreate the look of this stamp would be a tall order, and of little value. This stamp is used by LEO's to verify VIN of the car when the VIN tag is missing, so I would think that a clearly bogus stamp on the frame, would cause more problems than it would solve.

Regards, John McGraw
I agree, little value but One can say there is a number I verified with a picture to go along with your verification. There are no " corvette police " versed in letter size, character, or application. As long as one can verify the frame belongs to the car that would be the benefit. No agency would take a frame number alone to identify it as normal or hard original fact when they see a new frame just added to the vehicle. The VIN plate is the main source of ID along with engine or frame numbers. These cars are too old to have modern " hidden vins " that can also be located as verification.
Its not illegal to stamp a series of numbers / letters in your steel frame. A copy of the frame purchase origin should also be with your title and registration. Adding a new frame doesn't make one an outlaw. Neither does applying an identification mark.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:00 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by chevahaulic
I agree, little value but One can say there is a number I verified with a picture to go along with your verification. There are no " corvette police " versed in letter size, character, or application. As long as one can verify the frame belongs to the car that would be the benefit. No agency would take a frame number alone to identify it as normal or hard original fact when they see a new frame just added to the vehicle. The VIN plate is the main source of ID along with engine or frame numbers. These cars are too old to have modern " hidden vins " that can also be located as verification.
Its not illegal to stamp a series of numbers / letters in your steel frame. A copy of the frame purchase origin should also be with your title and registration. Adding a new frame doesn't make one an outlaw. Neither does applying an identification mark.
For the most part you are right, but there are states where it is illegal to add or modify ID numbers to any major part of the car.
There are a couple where it technically illegal to transplant an engine with a different VIN derivative into your car. Of course, hardly anyone pays any attention to that law.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 04-30-2015, 06:41 PM
chevahaulic
Pro

Originally Posted by John McGraw
For the most part you are right, but there are states where it is illegal to add or modify ID numbers to any major part of the car.
There are a couple where it technically illegal to transplant an engine with a different VIN derivative into your car. Of course, hardly anyone pays any attention to that law.

Regards, John McGraw
Every once in a while you see someone looking for trim tags and VIN plates. What do you think is going on there ? Early models with screws for VIN tags ...... what in the world were they thinking ? High dollar restorations i.e. documented hemi cars for example, will have the tags removed and placed in safe keeping. Would you send a car to the chemical stripper without regards to safe guarding the valuable tag which makes the car worth the high dollar rebuild?
There are certainly more concerns of importance than someone marking a frame with metal stamps.

Get notified of new replies

To new production frames

Quick Reply: new production frames