C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Speedometer Cable Routing on a '61

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 03:45 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts
Default Speedometer Cable Routing on a '61

I've been studying the assembly manual, plus other illustrations on line with no luck. I need to install my speedo cable, and can not find a hole as depicted in the assembly manual to run the cable into the car. My car does not have a hole in the upper trans tunnel area below the wiper motor @ the driver's side, as illustrated. There is a hole right behind the distributor where the tach cable runs thru the firewall, with plenty of room to spare. Does the speedo cable go through the firewall in this area? Once under the dash, it's obvious how it runs, but I want to install it once, and in the right location. Also, my tailhousing has the speedo output on the passenger side....not the driver's side, as the assembly manual shows. Possible wrong tailhousing? The box is an iron cased T-10 that is dated correctly for the car. Any help/pics greatly appreciated!! Thanks............
Old 05-06-2015, 04:13 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOguy
I've been studying the assembly manual, plus other illustrations on line with no luck. I need to install my speedo cable, and can not find a hole as depicted in the assembly manual to run the cable into the car. My car does not have a hole in the upper trans tunnel area below the wiper motor @ the driver's side, as illustrated. There is a hole right behind the distributor where the tach cable runs thru the firewall, with plenty of room to spare. Does the speedo cable go through the firewall in this area? Once under the dash, it's obvious how it runs, but I want to install it once, and in the right location. Also, my tailhousing has the speedo output on the passenger side....not the driver's side, as the assembly manual shows. Possible wrong tailhousing? The box is an iron cased T-10 that is dated correctly for the car. Any help/pics greatly appreciated!! Thanks............
You have some sort of aftermarket T-10 tailhousing; production T-10 tailhousings all had the speedo output on the driver's side, and the speedo cable penetration was fairly close to the steering column hole.
Attached Images  

Last edited by JohnZ; 05-06-2015 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:20 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Jeff - this is an original BW T-10 in my '61 before the Tremec swap in. This is how the speedo cable goes... As noted, you have something else going on and will have to adapt your routing accordingly.

Second pic shows speedo cable entering firewall just under the left side of the DS female hood latch and below it through the large grommet
Attached Images   

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-06-2015 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:32 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

That's the money shot I was looking for. Thanks, guys. I know of a '62 iron T-10 (that I used to own) that has the tailhousing with the speedo cable on the driver's side. I'll have to research it's availability. Meantime, I got the long 61" steel clad cable (the expensive one) and hopefully, it'll be long enough. I did see a hole in the location Frank posted, but mine has firewall insulation behind it, and it looks original and undisturbed. I'll investigate further and get after it. Thanks again, guys!!

Get notified of new replies

To Speedometer Cable Routing on a '61

Quick Reply: Speedometer Cable Routing on a '61