C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Anyone know where in NJ? Car Hauler/Rent????

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 08:19 PM
dwdmguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know where in NJ? Car Hauler/Rent????

I have to travel from Central NJ to NC this weekend to pick up my
'63 Roadster. Does anyone know where I can pick up / rent a
hauler?
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-15-2002, 05:59 PM
Jimbo64
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Anyone know where in NJ? Car Hauler/Rent???? (dwdmguy)

Had about the same question when I bought my 64 in Chicago a few months ago and had to bring it to Pa. After
checking U_haul [ by the way their equipment is lousy and usually" overbooked' if you can believe that. Can tell you a
horror story about that] I ended up having a great outfit named Intercity lines bring it to me in a covered carrier, with a
padded cover on, etc. Go to their website intercity lines. com and check it out. They'll pick it up and deliver it to your
door at a reasonable price. [uhaul wanted $400 plus insurance costs etc for three days. They were they only one that
rented car carriers, Penske, etc do not unless you rent a truck. By the time you rent a carrier, drive to carolina, stay in a motel, costs are going to
be pretty close. This way, just sit back, relax and your new baby will be brought to your doorstep in perfect cpndition.
Don't have to worry about flying stones and the cover beating your paint into oblivion either. Jim
Old 08-16-2002, 09:43 AM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've rented a few U-Haul car carriers, and never had a problem. I brought my '68 home to NJ from Ohio on one. The cost was around $55 per day. I reserved it at a local Ohio U-Haul store (over the phone), then picked it up when I got there and drove it back to NJ. You can return the trailer at any local dealer. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

[Modified by Flareside, 8:49 AM 8/16/2002]
Old 08-16-2002, 03:08 PM
Jimbo64
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Anyone know where in NJ? Car Hauler/Rent???? (Flareside)

we called U-haul 800 number and reserved a carrier to be picked up in Il and dropped off in Pa. When we got to the
u-haul dealer with our order and confirmation number he didn't have the carrier. Said u-haul overbooks a lot and he said
[dealer] that a lot of their equip needs replaced. Also car haulers didn't have a spare. We tried for 4 hours to locate a dealer within
a hundred miles of chicago who had a carrier w/o a bald tire and available. No success- so here we were 800 miles from
home with a car just purchased and no carrier. Also told that U-haul charges extra for milage over a certain distance.
might be alright for local hauls but will still haul my baby's long distance on Intercity Lines. Was not impressed with
u-haul as you may have figured out.
Old 08-17-2002, 01:36 AM
bob myers
Instructor

Default Re: Anyone know where in NJ? Car Hauler/Rent???? (Jimbo64)

Tom,
I wonder if a local [to you] enclosed trailer sales outfit might rent you a used unit. They would probably want a big deposit, but they may jump at the chance at making a few bucks. they probably have dealer tags....remote chance, but maybe? Good luck and I will keep you roadster clean, Bob Myers, NC
Old 08-17-2002, 08:25 AM
dwdmguy
Instructor

Thank you all for you comments.
I'm going to try tracking down something over
the weekend.

Thx again.
Old 08-20-2002, 01:09 PM
clearrun
Racer

I used a U-Haul trailer a couple of manths ago to haul a 65' from SW VA to MD. It a 5.5 hour trip. Trailer cost me $55 anmd worked out great.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone know where in NJ? Car Hauler/Rent????

Quick Reply: Anyone know where in NJ? Car Hauler/Rent????