C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Need help determining value - '67 convertible

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 09:23 AM
CTVETTE78
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need help determining value - '67 convertible

I need some help to determine the value of a 1967 convertible. This car seems to have a very questionable history. The owner is an elderly gent and is having difficulty remembering the details presented to him at his time of purchase. He has owned the car for 20+ years.

Here are the details -

327/350 (determined only by the air cleaner label) The engine was rebuilt sometime before the current owner bought the car and the numbers are gone. I have not checked the casting numbers. The owner claims that the rebuild has 18,000 miles on it, curiously this is the mileage the odometer shows.

4 speed, PS, PB

Color is Marlboro Maroon, paint is an older enamel respray, done very well, but now showing a few scratches and spider cracks. The chrome is decent but starting to show its age. The black interior is in very nice shape.

Engine bay is solid and complete but needs extensive detailing.

Here's the problem: The car has a State of Connecticut assigned VIN and no body tag. I suspect that this car is a re-creation of some sort, done long ago. If so, it is possible that the odometer was reset to zero at that time and that is why the state assigned a new VIN.

This is actually a very nice car in very good to excellent condition. I would rate the car as a #3+ if not for the VIN/ issue. Therein lies the dilemma. What is this car really worth in today's market? It is a great car for someone who wants to get into a C2 for low money and is not concerned with future value. I suspect that this car will be difficult to sell for anywhere near typical '67's small block prices.

I examined the car with the interest of purchasing it for myself, but seeing that it seems to be some kind of a mutt, I'm going to pass. I did however agree to help the owner set a reasonable price for the car.

Last edited by CTVETTE78; 05-08-2015 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:31 AM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 671 Posts

Do you have any pics to post of this 67? The stamped and raised casting numbers will be needed to determine what engine is in there but a quick check of a few things could at least get you started. The L79 engine came with the Winters foundry 'aluminum' intake manifold and the tachometer redline was higher than the base 300 horse 327. As for the State issued VIN number, that usually happened after a theft where the original riveted VIN tag was removed under the glove box.
Kinda hard to say what the value might be based on little information.
Mike T - Prescott AZ

Last edited by Vet65te; 05-08-2015 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:55 AM
CTVETTE78
Racer

Originally Posted by Vet65te
Do you have any pics to post of this 67? The stamped and raised casting numbers will be needed to determine what engine is in there but a quick check of a few things could at least get you started. The L79 engine came with the Winters foundry 'aluminum' intake manifold and the tachometer redline was higher than the base 300 horse 327. As for the State issued VIN number, that usually happened after a theft where the original riveted VIN tag was removed under the glove box.
Kinda hard to say what the value might be based on little information.
Mike T - Prescott AZ

Thanks Mike,

The interior photo shows a 6250 redline on a 7000 RPM tach. The car does have an aluminum manifold. I have added some photos.

Last edited by CTVETTE78; 05-08-2015 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:05 AM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Not a bad looking 67 Roadster. The tach markings are not what I'd expect for an L79 350 horse 327. They should show the yellow line beginning at 5700 rpm and the redline at 6K. The one in that Vette is what I'd expect for a 435 horse Bigblock, but with all the years that have passed since 1967, someone could have changed it out at some point. The engine does look to have the right intake manifold but we'll need some closeups of those casting and stamped numbers first (Edit - Just reread your post and saw the stamped numbers have been removed). Any pics of the underside? Don't know specifically what you are looking for but even though the original VIN tag is MIA, having a state issued tag doesn't turn this roadster into a 'parts car' for value. Looks to have potential as long as there are no hidden corrosion problems.
Mike T - Prescott AZ

Last edited by Vet65te; 05-08-2015 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:07 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Great looking car, IMO. The VIN re-issue hurts it, but what is the asking price? If it's 30k, it's still a steal.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:08 AM
ditchdigger650
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

That's looks to be the wrong tachometer for a L-79.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:13 AM
ditchdigger650
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry I didn't see Vet65te's post about the tachometer.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:14 AM
CTVETTE78
Racer

Great information guys, thanks.

The underside is very nice. The frame is clean and I could find no rust or evidence of previous repairs on the frame or the birdcage.

The big block tach is another curiosity. The car obviously has a small block hood on it, but how could I tell if it may have been a big block car?

Is this really still a $30K car?
Old 05-08-2015, 10:15 AM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

Im sure it was stolen at some point, which would explain the state assigned VIN? Due to that, I wouldn't touch it unless the guy wants to sell it to you for $25,000.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:55 AM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

CTVette - There are a lot of threads in the archives about how to identify Bigblock Midyears but some of the easy to spot items are the tach, hood and rear sway bar which 'originally' only came with the Bigblock cars. Also, I believe other than the 65 396 Vettes, the 66 and 67 Bigblocks did not use an expansion tank, which this roadster has. Doesn't look like there's a car hoist available, otherwise I'd suggest looking at the stamped differential code. Any pics of the rear suspension?
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Old 05-08-2015, 12:14 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet65te
CTVette - There are a lot of threads in the archives about how to identify Bigblock Midyears but some of the easy to spot items are the tach, hood and rear sway bar which 'originally' only came with the Bigblock cars. Also, I believe other than the 65 396 Vettes, the 66 and 67 Bigblocks did not use an expansion tank, which this roadster has. Doesn't look like there's a car hoist available, otherwise I'd suggest looking at the stamped differential code. Any pics of the rear suspension?
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Your are very correct. rear differential will tell the story of original history.
Old 05-08-2015, 05:49 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

This is a great entry level 67 convertible. A little elbow grease and a few weekends it could polish out. The original engine is a moot point with the state issue vin tag. While that hurts the value it helps for someone who does not care about numbers and just wants the top down and go for a cruise.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:52 PM
CTVETTE78
Racer

So what do we think? $25K? $30K? Less?

I'm not interested is this car for the long term so resale potential is important.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:57 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by CTVETTE78
So what do we think? $25K? $30K? Less?

I'm not interested is this car for the long term so resale potential is important.
If you aren't interested in owning it long term, then I would back off. If you spend 25K, then 5-10K making it a nice driver, you are screwed! You can buy a nice driver convertible low hp 67 for around 45, so why would anybody buy one for 35K with a state assigned VIN with Ok paint? This is not an investment car. If you want it to drive with minimal investment to keep long term, then fine, but otherwise, i would walk away. You will never make any money of this car, but there is a great potential to lose a lot. BTW, above prices do not include your cost for insurance, registration, etc.

Old 05-09-2015, 03:57 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

I am going to say +1 to 65Silververt....

This is such a tricky car to be involved with. If somebody JUST wants to have a fun car... this is a possibility, but I wouldn't want to have more than $25ish into it, because you are not going to get anything out of it when you sell it... except for what a missing tag reissue vin NOM 67 goes for at the time.

All Vettes are going to need something after you get em, and those things quickly add up, and the further away from $30 you can be when "done" with upgrades/making it somewhat reliable, the better you are going to be.

$40-$45 i would think is the current value for NOM 67 Vert Drivers in #3 condition.. with legit vin/titles.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:20 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Revfan
I am going to say +1 to 65Silververt....

This is such a tricky car to be involved with. If somebody JUST wants to have a fun car... this is a possibility, but I wouldn't want to have more than $25ish into it, because you are not going to get anything out of it when you sell it... except for what a missing tag reissue vin NOM 67 goes for at the time.

All Vettes are going to need something after you get em, and those things quickly add up, and the further away from $30 you can be when "done" with upgrades/making it somewhat reliable, the better you are going to be.

$40-$45 i would think is the current value for NOM 67 Vert Drivers in #3 condition.. with legit vin/titles.
And hard to find at 40-45, but very true comment. Remember, 30-35 buys a decent C5 and you can drive it for fun with AC and comfort. Not the same, true but today the mrket is flat for many vintage cars, including Corvettes. A purchase today is for fun.....not profit
Old 05-09-2015, 11:31 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jimgessner
And hard to find at 40-45, but very true comment. Remember, 30-35 buys a decent C5 and you can drive it for fun with AC and comfort. Not the same, true but today the mrket is flat for many vintage cars, including Corvettes. A purchase today is for fun.....not profit
30-35 buys a nice C6. For 35k you can buy two C5's if you look hard enough. If I had 35k to spend on a "fun" 67 convertible and did not care about numbers and I liked the colors I would be all over this car. This car cleaned up and parked at a local show will get just as much attention as a car with real GM tags. Why do people forget that. The only time real GM tags really count is at a DMV and NCRS judging. But if it has a clear tittle with the state vin the DMV will be happy. You can just never have it judged. These cars had a tough life when new. They were stolen and wrecked all the time. Not all of them made it with out a battle scar or two.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:01 PM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

The owner of that car would be foolish to sell it for $25,000. It will never be anything but a driver but even with the Vin issue it's worth at least low 30's.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help determining value - '67 convertible

Quick Reply: Need help determining value - '67 convertible