C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1959 Turquoise Interior

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 07:20 PM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 563 Likes on 337 Posts

Default 1959 Turquoise Interior

Any of you that need Turquoise interiors.....

Several months ago I worked with Al and Elliot Knoch regarding this issue. Their available turquoise dashpad and soft vinyls were much too green. I got some original seat vinyl and dashpad samples from some willing contributors.

Here are some comparison photos of different samples I got in my research before the meeting with the AK gents. As you can see, no one had the right colors.

At the Lakeland Florida event in January, I met with Al and Elliot and returned the entire interior they shipped us. They agreed that they needed to adjust the colors to get closer to original. Al even said....."How long have we been making this wrong color?" to himself and Elliot.

They commited that they wanted to do it right. They appreciated the samples I gave them. It took about 10 weeks for them to get new vinyl made from their supplier in Boston. It would have been less but the Winter up there slowed the process.

For the Record.....the dashpad is dye-molded to match the original samples given to them. They could not get the matching ABS vinyl(used for dashpads) from anywhere. That sample came from a hidden area behind the kick panel from a original '59 dashpad.

The correct soft vinyls(seat covers, grab bar, etc) were made from a underseat sample I got, and a armrest they found in their attic, which they took apart and had original "untouched" vinyl on it's backside.

I got the new interior in recently and got started with installation. They did a great job to help get this right.

A few pics of the dashpad I finished up, before and after windshield installation. Also a few photos of the new door panels. I have seats covers now to match and the other small bits like kick panel windlaces and decklid tabs, etc.

BTW, the Turquoise Lacquer came from TCP-Global and was a exact match to the original panels I got with the car.

If you folks need a correctly shaded Turquoise interior, Al Knoch interiors is now your best option.

Rich

Old 05-15-2015, 10:24 PM
mcb55-210
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Just another example of the kind of effort and results I have seen come out of your shop.

Great work, Rich.

Mike
Old 05-16-2015, 06:31 AM
SIXTYTWO
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

WOW ! Really beautiful work and super results.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:27 AM
ejboyd5
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 189 Posts

I'm sure all of this matches much better in person that through the internet pictures. With particular reference to those shots showing the grab rail juxtaposed against the dash pad, the rail appears blue and the pad is what I have always believed to be turquoise. Is this the camera lying or is something still a little off?
By the way, if Knoch has one of those old "green" interiors that they are throwing away as being unsuitable, they can throw it my way. I happen to know of a particular black Corvette that would look great with green insides.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:01 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 563 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by ejboyd5
I'm sure all of this matches much better in person that through the internet pictures. With particular reference to those shots showing the grab rail juxtaposed against the dash pad, the rail appears blue and the pad is what I have always believed to be turquoise. Is this the camera lying or is something still a little off?
By the way, if Knoch has one of those old "green" interiors that they are throwing away as being unsuitable, they can throw it my way. I happen to know of a particular black Corvette that would look great with green insides.
Yes, the camera plays tricks. The different light has different effects. I've found that if I shut the center top light off in my shop, and use the side lights, the photo shades of the car under the center light will be different. This especially with fluorescent lights in my shop.

This was a extremely tedious adventure trying to get the right shades of turquoise. You cannot imagine how much time I spent with vendors, NCRS Judges and Team Leaders, other restorers, etc. Quite frustrating.

The original 1959 dashpad sample(from behind the kickpanel upper spear) I got was definitely lighter and a tad more green than the original soft vinyl original sample. I believe that original cars had different shades when new. I also see that shade difference in reds and other blues. Nothing is a "perfect" match.

AK's sample from their armrest attic find was a tad darker than my "underseat" sample. Since AK's sample came from the underside hidden area under their armrest, we chose that. Here's the photo they sent me. Right swatch is the new piece in comparison.

Here's a example of the 2 shots of the original samples I researched with different light.....

Here's some comps of the different lighting effects of the dash in the car and on the bench. Different angles play tricks in the photos.

BTW, Here is the first version I got from AK several months ago. Not a good match. Much too green. The Pad and all pieces went back to AK, so, sorry, I can't throw the old green-ish one your way.

Overhead light off...

Overhead light on...
Old 05-16-2015, 12:26 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,098 Likes on 1,866 Posts

Rich,
Your passion for these automobiles and your attitude of "getting it right the first time" is immeasurable. The lengths you went to with Al Knoch to make absolutely sure that, going forward, the turquoise would be correct will benefit the hobby for many years to come. Thank you for your diligence and strict attention to detail.

Get notified of new replies

To 1959 Turquoise Interior

Quick Reply: 1959 Turquoise Interior