C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 Body Mounts/Bolts/Etc. Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 08:16 AM
1rad55
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts
Default C2 Body Mounts/Bolts/Etc. Question

I'm currently performing a "body on" restoration of frame/etc. under my 66 C2 coupe. I have the steering column out, all brake lines removed, front bumpers, etc. My question is.....I don't want to complete separate frame from body at this point but I would like to replace the old body mount hardware while I'm doing everything else. How high do I have to raise the body off frame to install the new mount hardware once all body mount bolts are removed/etc.? Any special techniques used to accomplish this "mini" body lift? Please advise and thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Chuck
Old 05-30-2015, 08:40 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Spray all bolts with penetrating oil and let them soak for awhile....

You still have to remove the seat belt anchor cables....rear valance, unless side exhaust..front bumper bracket that passes through the grille...rear bumpers...radiator support mount on frame...splash shields.....

After all that....at least 4-5inches...
Old 05-30-2015, 09:52 AM
1rad55
Racer

Originally Posted by 66jack
Spray all bolts with penetrating oil and let them soak for awhile....

You still have to remove the seat belt anchor cables....rear valance, unless side exhaust..front bumper bracket that passes through the grille...rear bumpers...radiator support mount on frame...splash shields.....

After all that....at least 4-5inches...
Thanks for info.....any suggestions on how to lift the body safely? Do I need straps or can I use 4x4's /Jacks on each side to lift the 4-5"? I do have a 4 post lift in my garage.

Chuck
Old 05-30-2015, 10:17 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Do you have side exhaust?

You might have to remove them...

Where your rocker panels attach, you can possibly get some blocking in between the frame and panels...use a floor jack to raise and do one side at a time, leaving on/in some bolts/mounts on opposite side so the body shift....also watch out for your gas filler boot when you put the body back in place, make sure its centered..

Do them one at a time and noting how many shims are at each point/location, marking-taping the new ones together so when they fall and not scatter on the floor..
Old 05-30-2015, 10:24 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 1rad55
Thanks for info.....any suggestions on how to lift the body safely? Do I need straps or can I use 4x4's /Jacks on each side to lift the 4-5"? I do have a 4 post lift in my garage.

Chuck
Remove what Jack said, if undercar exhaust, a floorjack and a 2 x 4 up against the edge of the metal channel that runs between the wheel wells is all you need. The rubber part of the body mount that sticks thru the frame (or steel mount on the firewall) is only 1/4 in. deep.
Jack it up 1 - 1 1/2 in, pull the shims and you'll be able to pull the rubber mount. Make sure you replace the same number of shims at each mount location.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:51 AM
1rad55
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill32
Remove what Jack said, if undercar exhaust, a floorjack and a 2 x 4 up against the edge of the metal channel that runs between the wheel wells is all you need. The rubber part of the body mount that sticks thru the frame (or steel mount on the firewall) is only 1/4 in. deep.
Jack it up 1 - 1 1/2 in, pull the shims and you'll be able to pull the rubber mount. Make sure you replace the same number of shims at each mount location.
Bill....thanks for info. Could you be a little more specific on the location of the metal channel location under the car. Thanks!
Old 06-04-2015, 09:42 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 1rad55
Bill....thanks for info. Could you be a little more specific on the location of the metal channel location under the car. Thanks!
Sure, they run between the wheel wells, under the door jams. You'll need a block of wood for the jack (sidepipes). If you have under car exhaust, you should remove the rocker moldings as a precaution.

here's what the channel looks like, you can see the door opening and louvers above. The piece of metal running across the channel was cut off by the previous owner to put sidepipes on. It would have had a 3 inch section bent down to screw the rocker molding too for under car exhaust. second pic shows the rear portion near the rear wheel well with the seat and seat belt mounts.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Bill32; 06-04-2015 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:59 AM
Daren67
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

look up body mounts Daren for a writeup on this. I did this on my floor over a short period in winter. I used a 2x6 piece of wood 8 inches long. I removed one side at a time. Started with Radiator one and worked back. Put wood between rocker panel (removed off course) and frame, and jack from that location. Car should be on ground with wheels touching. I was able to jack up 1 1/2 to 2 inches and slide hand in there and replace. Make sure you keep exact number of shims (if you need many use tape to keep them together. All bolts came off with no problem, The pain in the **** was the convertible top bolts that go to the rear end body mount. I had to grind them off. Take your time and all should work out.

Get notified of new replies

To C2 Body Mounts/Bolts/Etc. Question

Quick Reply: C2 Body Mounts/Bolts/Etc. Question