C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Soft top frame repair post

Old 06-21-2015, 09:15 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default Soft top frame repair post

Thirty some years ago I put a German Haartz Sonneland canvas top on my 66 roadster. I was tired of the cheap vinyl tops of the time, and as I drove my car all the time, I wanted a top that would look good and last.

30 years later and 150,000 plus miles, it was time for a new top. I have some pictures to share with you of what I found under my old top.

I knew that one of the rivets on the frame was not working as the weatherstrip on the drivers side would not line up, leaving a gap between the window and the two window weatherstrips that bolt on.

First I must say that the material used (tackboard) 45 years ago is far superior to the "fiberboard" sold now. The original board was fiber board sewn between two leather strips.

I found some rust that I have to deal with . The problem that many face with their tops is the nylon bushing that centers the rivets. When it breaks, the top mechanism does not work correctly and you will have uneven weatherstrip problems.

It usually is not the rivet as I found out, but the bushing.

Next, you can order the rivets from most vendors, but none listed the nylon bushing. Without it , you will not be able to fix the problem and be able to set the rivet.

Jerry Sullivan of "Sully's Tops" www.SullysTops.com 1-800-451-3998 Fresno, CA

Gave me a call and he has the bushings. He actually manufacturers the rivets for the vendors who sell them. Funny they don't list them.

He put them in th mail and said, " send me the check when you get them" Very nice man and I would use him for any parts that may be needed to restore your frame. He is a 17 year NCRS member

Setting the rivet. You need to clamp the rivet, and frame tight, block the rivet and smack the end of the rivet with the hole with a big hammer. Flatten it a bit and pine it over.

I will let you know how that works, I ordered extra rivets just in-case

32 year old top

Bottom , top , sides , rivet hole , rust areas , straps , fiber tack strip of frame

Original tack strip

Rivet and nylon bushing

Weatherstrip kit and padding to be put on after canvas is installed

I am having the top installed after seeing the way the tacks have to be driven. Speedy did it 30 years ago for me and he will do it again on the 12th.

I hope the frame comes out OK, I am doing the work and I am always leery of my work.

I will post some more pictures as I get to work

Just finished up the frame this afternoon. I drive the car to the installer tomorrow. Weather is going to be cold but dry.

As show in pictures, my frame needed two nylon bushings replaced. The hard part is the setting of the rivets. You can order the rivets from the usual vendors, but it is not the rivet that goes, it is the bushing. You need a special setting tool and the ability to block the rivet. Palmers Springs Shop, making springs and carriages since 1860's had a 70 year old part worker who could set it for me.
A large hammer and anvil helped.

Sully's Tops in Fresno CA was the only place I could find to get the bushings. Jerry makes the rivets for vendors.

Rivet and bushings

Before

After

Sandblasting rust

Old frame

Restored frame on car ready to top installation

Waiting no longer, I dial the number. Speed's helper answered the phone.

" Hello , Hello, " I said, " is Speed in ?"

helper on other end of line

" Speed are you in ? "

background voice " Yea "

I tell the helper who I am and ask him if my car is done .

helper on end of line " Speed, guy with corvette, wants to know if the car is done " " what should I tell him ? "

voice in background " Its done " " has been done for two days"

You can imagine my thoughts as I listen to this conversation......

So, the car is done, it was done, no call, I did not call and......

There is ice on the roads. Nice and sunny for the last few days ......

I asked him what time they close and told them I would be over to get the car.

If I don't crash going over to Speeds in my winter car, and If I don't crash driving the corvette home....

You will see pictures..........I hope

Jack[/QUOTE]

I just got to Speeds, car off the road, sirens blaring, but did that stop me.......No

Meet Speed

Car ride home

Home at last in garage

Third Latch for no leaks in rain at 100 mph

Top looks great, sounds great inside, looks great inside.

Worth the wait. Any good Staysoft top will be so much better than vinyl, if you are looking for a rich soft look as well as durability

Third Latch to stop leaks

Hi,

What I did was to put all the trim pieces back on before I dropped the car off.

I put the frame back on the car, and did a general setting of the pins, frame bolts and latches.

The top must go on the frame and the alignment is done as you go . That is where experience comes into play. How to set the front folds, the back straps , all must be pushed and pulled, tacks set into the tack board, (don't use the fiber board, just makes rust) use the replacement vinyl tack strip, and at the same time , working the frame bolts , front, up, down or side ways.

Also the back pins can be adjusted to go directly into the deck latch hole. The front latches also. I have a third latch in the middle that completely eliminates any leaks in the mid front bow area. All corvettes 68 and on had the third latch. I have a post on it and many who have done the latch report back , that after years and years of dripps, gone..........

GM just did not want to spend the money at the time to fix the problem.

Jack

ps the latch you see in these pictures has been changed to the one pictured above. I replaced the safety latch (hole in middle) with a non safety one . Looks better.

So, I would not spend a lot of time on alignment, before the actual installation of the top.

Last edited by Jackfit; 06-21-2015 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:41 AM
narlee
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

Nice, good for another 30 years.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:30 AM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,962 Likes on 664 Posts

WOW!!! Top looks AWESOME Jack! Can't wait to see you - and - you're new top in August!

Tom
Old 06-21-2015, 10:45 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 829 Likes on 573 Posts

Looks good there Jack...

Question:::

Comparing the old vs new 'rivets', it looks as if there is a 'pin' inside the old rivet and the new on does not have or show in the photo...

Is it just a shadow in the pic?
Old 05-21-2020, 09:36 PM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Although it's an old post, the pictures would have been very helpful today - is there any way to see these?

Thanks,
Larry
Old 05-22-2020, 12:44 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,318 Likes on 2,767 Posts

Originally Posted by larrywalk
Although it's an old post, the pictures would have been very helpful today - is there any way to see these?

Thanks,
Larry
You are responding to someone’s post from 5 years ago.

Get notified of new replies

To Soft top frame repair post

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Soft top frame repair post