C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What's the correct torque for thermostat housing ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 10:42 AM
ryan22
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts

Default What's the correct torque for thermostat housing ?

Been reading about leaking thermostat housings and which sealants & gaskets to use on them. I've seen the advice in several posts "do not overtighten the bolts" so I'm wondering what is the recommended torque ?

thanks-
Old 06-29-2015, 10:54 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan22
Been reading about leaking thermostat housings and which sealants & gaskets to use on them. I've seen the advice in several posts "do not overtighten the bolts" so I'm wondering what is the recommended torque ?

thanks-
20ft/lbs...

http://www.stl-vettes.com/65Vette/co...rque_Specs.pdf
Old 06-29-2015, 11:32 AM
ryan22
Burning Brakes

Thanks Jack !

Now i just have to solve a problem with the therm housing & oil fill tube. Its a 283 in a 58 with an oil fill tube that slants toward the driver side- intake is an old Edelbrock C4B.

Its so tight between the therm housing and the oil fill tube that I can't get a hose on. Tried a couple different therm housings and haven't found one that will work and allow the hose to run on the drivers side of the oil fill tube. Think I'll have to run the radiator hose from the passenger side of the oil fill across in front of it to the upper radiator opening on the drivers side, don't like the look of that but can't seem to find another solution. Any ideas ?

Last water outlet i tried was an after market modeled after the style used in midyears (with 1 short bolt & 1 long)- it would've worked but the runner on the C4B intake was in the way- couldn't like up the bolt holes. Ugh.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:48 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Thanks Jack !

Now i just have to solve a problem with the therm housing & oil fill tube. Its a 283 in a 58 with an oil fill tube that slants toward the driver side- intake is an old Edelbrock C4B.

Its so tight between the therm housing and the oil fill tube that I can't get a hose on. Tried a couple different therm housings and haven't found one that will work and allow the hose to run on the drivers side of the oil fill tube. Think I'll have to run the radiator hose from the passenger side of the oil fill across in front of it to the upper radiator opening on the drivers side, don't like the look of that but can't seem to find another solution. Any ideas ?

Last water outlet i tried was an after market modeled after the style used in midyears (with 1 short bolt & 1 long)- it would've worked but the runner on the C4B intake was in the way- couldn't like up the bolt holes. Ugh.

If your not going NCRS and just want something to work you can get an aluminum adjustable that might work...it also come in a different angle...

Try Summit Racing NAPA, kragen or orielly's

Here's an example...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-371101/overview/
Old 06-29-2015, 02:00 PM
ryan22
Burning Brakes

Adjustable water outlet- I didn't know these even existed, never seen or heard of them before. I'm just trying to get this 58 on the road- No plans for NCRS judging.

Gonna look one of those up today-should allow me to route the hose the way I want.

Jack, that's twice you helped me out today. Hope I can repay the favor sometime. Thanks again !

Ryan22
Old 06-29-2015, 02:12 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Adjustable water outlet- I didn't know these even existed, never seen or heard of them before. I'm just trying to get this 58 on the road- No plans for NCRS judging.

Gonna look one of those up today-should allow me to route the hose the way I want.

Jack, that's twice you helped me out today. Hope I can repay the favor sometime. Thanks again !

Ryan22
I got one I'll give you if i can find it, its in my shed....just pay shipping...

EDIT....
:::FOUND IT:::

Last edited by 66jack; 06-29-2015 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:29 PM
ryan22
Burning Brakes

Can't say enough about this forum & its members.

Jack, I sent you an email. Please let me know how you'd like me to send payment for shipping the water neck.

Many thanks for going to this trouble for me.

Happy Motoring-
Ryan22
Old 06-29-2015, 04:58 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Can't say enough about this forum & its members.

Jack, I sent you an email. Please let me know how you'd like me to send payment for shipping the water neck.

Many thanks for going to this trouble for me.

Happy Motoring-
Ryan22
Sending you a PM with info...
Old 06-29-2015, 08:46 PM
Faslane
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I spent a lot of time trying to fix this small leak, new housing, use sealant, don't use sealant, even bought a new on and had it milled down, still leaked.
Felpro 35562T
It worked great, trust me it will not leak.
Its a option for you, or anyone else reading the tread with the same problem, they work!
Lane
Old 06-29-2015, 10:10 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

You need to learn the term... GoodAndTight...

Hitch
Old 06-29-2015, 11:24 PM
BB767
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 354 Likes on 148 Posts

I had a leak issue when I installed a new thermostat housing on my '66 convertible last spring. The bolts were slightly too long for the new housing and were bottoming out on the intake. I shortened them both 3/8" and everything sealed up nicely. Something to keep in mind.

When installing a new thermostat housing, install just the housing bolts and measure the distance between the bolt head and the intake to make sure they don't bottom out on you.

Thomas
Old 06-30-2015, 03:46 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Hitch
You need to learn the term... GoodAndTight...

Hitch
I'm right handed so I just snug it down with a 9" ratchet until my right "man boob" hurts-- then another 1/4 turn. Works every time.

Get notified of new replies

To What's the correct torque for thermostat housing ?

Quick Reply: What's the correct torque for thermostat housing ?