C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

how much oil for my c1

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 12:27 PM
grumpy10956
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much oil for my c1

hi guys , work is progressing here, I am unsure whether to put 5 quarts or 6 quarts of oil in my 61 c1 , car has original oil pan , but short oil filter due to headers , any ideas ??
Old 07-11-2015, 12:28 PM
jerry gollnick
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by grumpy10956
hi guys , work is progressing here, I am unsure whether to put 5 quarts or 6 quarts of oil in my 61 c1 , car has original oil pan , but short oil filter due to headers , any ideas ??

Fill until your dip stick says full. Run and check again top off if necessary.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:58 PM
desertpilgrim
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Put in 4, start, run, shutoff, wait an hour and it'll be a 1/2 qt low.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:49 AM
grumpy10956
Racer

hi guys , well this is ex race car , not sure I have the correct dip stick as it has holes drilled in it , when i had the car on the road I added
6 quarts as it printed it the corvette v8 manuel by Cylmer, even when I went to headers and the smaler filter I still added 6 quarts of straight valoline 50 weight , just picking brains, many thanks, grumpy rob

Originally Posted by desertpilgrim
Put in 4, start, run, shutoff, wait an hour and it'll be a 1/2 qt low.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:06 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

If you don't know if you have the right dipstick - or maybe not even the factory oil pan its a crap shoot. If you've been doing something and its working, I'd continue doing it.

I don't know what "straight 50 weight" means but if its still a flat tappet engine and you aren't adding oil with ZDDP in it; you are gonna mess up your motor...
Old 07-12-2015, 09:13 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Maybe he needs 50 wt. because it's an oil burner?
Old 07-12-2015, 10:27 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
If you don't know if you have the right dipstick - or maybe not even the factory oil pan its a crap shoot. If you've been doing something and its working, I'd continue doing it.

I don't know what "straight 50 weight" means but if its still a flat tappet engine and you aren't adding oil with ZDDP in it; you are gonna mess up your motor...
First, why doesn't the OP trust the dipstick, is there a reason, e.g., the engine may not have been put together thoughtfully? If in doubt, drop the pan, and check the crank lower limit of travel (is it a stroker?), and measure the pan capacity. Measure down to the correct level you want the oil to be when full, and then transfer that measurement to the dipstick and tube. Not all cars take even quart numbers, particularly in they've been modified.

Many 50 weight oils (these are somewhat recommended for racing applications), do carry high since levels for this very reason.

Originally Posted by MikeM
Maybe he needs 50 wt. because it's an oil burner?
Perhaps, but getting into the proper oil viscosity discussion is about as contentious and just about a technically based as some other subjects we know all too well. People with no technical knowledge about oil will go to blows about what they "know" is best. Remember engine kerosene flushes? Don't even go there!

As far as 50 weight goes, well, I'll leave that one alone - it's not worth the argument, but high viscosity oil flow during cold starts, and resulting engine protection during the most critical wear time, oh well. YMMV. If it's not an oil burner now, it may be one sooner than normal.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:03 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino

As far as 50 weight goes,.....

If it's not an oil burner now, it may be one sooner than normal.
That is what I said. Maybe it's an oil burner. Thick oil works pretty well for an old "bulker" to slow it down from using oil. Maybe someday he'll get around to fixing it.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:36 AM
grumpy10956
Racer

hi guys , sorry , my stroker is not a oil burner , Traco assembled thIs motor for me circa 1980 and its only has about 3000 miles. I run straight Valvoline 50 wt because it was free and I still have three 50 gallon Valvoline drums , I also use it in my 1998 Buick.
C1 v8 olil pans are distinctive tough to confuse with a 1960.s c2 pan or a passenger oil pans.
as for the dip stick this is old race car , origially rally- road racing in Canada it was a champion with it fuel injected engine , car was found in used car lot near a Air Force base in canada circa 1967 and driven back from Canada by a friend who drag / street raced the car , dip stick has been modified along with other parts . so my 1961 corvette has a long history and some parts may not be NCRS but whose is .
sorry just woke up, hope I answered every ones questions
Old 07-12-2015, 11:47 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
First, why doesn't the OP trust the dipstick, is there a reason, e.g., the engine may not have been put together thoughtfully?.
Once you say an engine is an "old racer" anything can have been done to it....as you say....it pays to confirm things. Not starting an oil viscosity thread, but not everybody with a modified engines knows they need ZDDP. And yes, many a motorist has nursed along a tired engine by running heavier oil -- not needed in this case apparently.

So - all I can say is in my, 61 I change both the oil AND filter every time. I prefill the oil filter with oil before installing it , I then fill the crankcase up until I've used 5-1/2 qts....run the motor briefly and after about 1/2 hour check the dipstick again and it always wants that last 1/2 quart for 6 total. Its a stock 270hp 283ci mill.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-12-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:52 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Take your pick of these oil pans and then post it so someone has a clue which pan you really have. That'll tell the capacity of your crankcase.

The shorter filter is of little consequence.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1961..._8LQuVX6UCM%3A

Get notified of new replies

To how much oil for my c1

Quick Reply: how much oil for my c1