C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

rear main bearing thrust surface

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 12:40 PM
corvette62
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rear main bearing thrust surface

I have a recently rebuilt 406ci sb with a significant oil leak at either the oil pan or rear main seal (engine was rebuilt by a reputable builder) I removed the oil pan & rear main bearing cap for replacement of the seals and resealing critical areas. I noticed excessive wear on the flywheel side of the main bearing thrust area. It has worn .008" in 250 miles. The clutch has adequate free travel, engine has good oil pressure.

The power steering pulley is approximately 1/8" out of alignment with crankshaft pulley. The center to center distance between the crankshaft center and ps pulley center is 6" (close), belt is tight. Would this create enough side torque to create this rapid wear? I will correct this, however I am still looking for a greater issue before I reassemble??
Old 07-12-2015, 05:02 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette62
I have a recently rebuilt 406ci sb with a significant oil leak at either the oil pan or rear main seal (engine was rebuilt by a reputable builder) I removed the oil pan & rear main bearing cap for replacement of the seals and resealing critical areas. I noticed excessive wear on the flywheel side of the main bearing thrust area. It has worn .008" in 250 miles. The clutch has adequate free travel, engine has good oil pressure.

The power steering pulley is approximately 1/8" out of alignment with crankshaft pulley. The center to center distance between the crankshaft center and ps pulley center is 6" (close), belt is tight. Would this create enough side torque to create this rapid wear? I will correct this, however I am still looking for a greater issue before I reassemble??
I can't imagine such a minor pulley misalignment at the front having any effect at all on the rear thrust bearing surface; if the flywheel side of the thrust surface on the crankshaft has worn .008" in only 250 miles, I'd say you have other issues causing the wear.

Quick Reply: rear main bearing thrust surface