C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Brake line kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 01:37 PM
gccch
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Brake line kit

The search function is not working. I am looking for advice on what brake lines to use on my frame off. Looking at Quanta, the added cost for stainless is $25. Seems like a good bet. Curious what this will deduct in NCRS judging (if I ever do that).

Anyone have good luck with other kits?
Old 08-07-2015, 01:58 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,326 Likes on 958 Posts

Default SS Brake lines

Some people swear that SS lines leak and are not worth it. I added SS lines for both fuel and brakes. The only advice I can give you is that you have to be careful when you tighten the brake line fittings into the brass blocks and on the rear calipers. I used brake fluid on the threads as lubrication. I tightened the fitting, backed it out and tightened it again in order to get a good seal. Whatever lines you end up buying, use a flare wrench to tighten your lines or you will round off the fitting. Good luck. Jerry
Old 08-07-2015, 02:23 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I think the deduct for S/S lines is one point for EACH line. It's in the judging refreance manual. I never had a S/S brake line leak but my S/S fuel line from pump to carb leaks a little. I am running dot 5. If that makes a diffreance.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:46 PM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 338 Likes on 193 Posts

I used a stainless steel brake lines on the 66 from http://www.cssbinc.com/ The kit was great and fit very well. I have heard people having problems with the stainless steel brake line kits leaking. I never had any problems and I have installed many kits on chevy trucks, jeeps and even my nova, not one leaked. One thing to keep in mind is that when connecting the lines to the blocks is to make sure the tubes are straight into the block and not at an angle. Many people just start the tube fitting without regard to how the brake line is pointing. They figure if the tube nut starts it will be o.k. On softer steel lines the flare is more able to deform to fit the angle. Stainless lines are quite a bit harder and do not conform to odd angles well thus keeping the line straight as it comes into a block very important.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:54 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by gccch
The search function is not working. I am looking for advice on what brake lines to use on my frame off. Looking at Quanta, the added cost for stainless is $25. Seems like a good bet. Curious what this will deduct in NCRS judging (if I ever do that).

Anyone have good luck with other kits?
The TBW steel brake lines will probably outlast you........no reason to go stainless steel.

CSSB Inc, Classic Tube, InlineTube are all good alternatives. At one time there were only 3 or 4 different places making the brake lines. Probably the same now. Quanta is a good company, and probably has a good brake line product..........although I doubt they fabricated it in-house. You could call and ask about their source.

Years ago, I used FineLines Brand sold by DR VETTE Brakes (now CSSB Inc.) Fit was good but not perfect. Finished installation was excellent after a little re-work.

Larry
Old 08-07-2015, 04:32 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
I think the deduct for S/S lines is one point for EACH line. It's in the judging refreance manual. I never had a S/S brake line leak but my S/S fuel line from pump to carb leaks a little. I am running dot 5. If that makes a diffreance.
Stainless is covered in the Standard Deduction Tables in the Judging Reference Manual - it's a 50% deduction for every part that wasn't originally stainless. There are only (5) originality points allocated to the line item for ALL of the brake pipes, blocks, and clips, and only the pipes are stainless, so the likely deduction is more like 50% of 3 points, or a point and a dot.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:00 AM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 884 Likes on 633 Posts

Depends on what you're going to do with the car and where it's stored. JohnZ has mentioned more than once that stock tinned Bundy weld lines will last almost indefinitely on a car that never sees rain. That and they seal more easily b/c the metal is softer and will compress on the brass fittings better than stainless. Having said that, where the car lives is a factor to consider. Where you live, humidity discoloration/corrosion of stock brake lines shouldn't be an issue. Here on the Gulf coast, we get so much humidity permeating concrete garage floors that tinned or cad plated things discolor and/or rust over time. My plug heat shields are rusted out after 18 years, and my plug wire braids and fuel pump to carb lines (stock tinned steel( are really discolored. My stainless brake lines are shiny as the day the restoration was finished in 1998. Bottom line, you can probably live with stock brake lines. We denizens of the summer sauna probably cant.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:47 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

I bet you find that Inline tube makes these lines for many vendors. I purchased TBW lines from Inline tube and picked them up at Corvettes at Carlisle and requested the long lines not be bent in half.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:59 AM
gccch
Drifting

Lots of great info. here guys. As usual. Many thanks!
Old 08-31-2015, 01:15 PM
gccch
Drifting

Just an update since I have begun assembling the SS lines I purchased from Quanta. I am having some difficulty with fitment. The front drivers side from the flexible line to the distribution block is a very short "L" which is too long on both ends. I am also looking at the front to rear line and expecting a lot of trouble fitting it in. So far I have not gotten too far as I am still getting my steering linkage together, but I am concerned.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake line kit

Quick Reply: Brake line kit