C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Just finished 62 Restomod Photo shoot pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 05:00 PM
Brucebodyman
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Interior

Originally Posted by jedjr59restomd
Fantastic!!! Wow! Bruce, did you use the Paul Atkins seat backs & fiberglass dash as well? They look GREAT! I'm likely going with the Atkins dash, and gauge cluster pod. Would love to know if you went with his seat backs, and if your upholtery guy had an issues with them. Is the center console leather wrapped? Thanks, Ed
Thanks Ed
The seats are Wiseguys. I bought the seat frames then sent them to Al Knoch and had them upholster them.
The console is a Paul Atkins piece. I altered it a little.. When they send it to you the area under the storage lid is open no bottom in it. I put a piece in the bottom of it and put a USB port in it. I did buy a fiberglass dash from them but didn't use it. The dash is an Al Knoch piece also. It fit very well. Not easy to install but fit great. The console is wrapped in leather. I like the seat backs your talking about. A local interior shop was doing an interior on a 59 that had those in it. I'm a big guy 6'3 245 if I was building a car to keep I think I would use those they set you way back. Drawback is they aren't adjustable. Mine are.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:06 PM
Brucebodyman
Racer

Default Console

Here is a pic of console before it was wrapped. I fit lid to it better and put the bottom in it. Notice the USB port in the front of storage compartment first pic is how they send it no bottom. Lid isn't hinged either I did that.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:45 PM
dcaggiani
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 84 Posts

I love seeing the RestoMods come to life!!!
Congratulations on the build.

Dan
Old 08-16-2015, 06:52 PM
Old Vet
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Why didn't you use the Paul Atkins fiberglass dash?

I was thinking of ordering one and painting it to match the color of the car....
Old 08-16-2015, 08:47 PM
Brucebodyman
Racer

Default Dash

Originally Posted by Old Vet
Why didn't you use the Paul Atkins fiberglass dash?

I was thinking of ordering one and painting it to match the color of the car....
At the time I was ready to install the dash pad the car was already painted. The fiberglass Atkins dash was going to take a little work to make it fit. Especially on the ends where the factory metal end caps go. Plus I was going to wrap it in leather anyway. So I shelved it and went with the leather one. I don't like the look of a painted dash on these cars. I kept in mind I needed to build something that appealed to the majority of possible buyers but in case it didn't sell I needed to be happy with it. That's pretty much how I approach any build.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:31 PM
jedjr59restomd
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brucebodyman
Thanks Ed
The seats are Wiseguys. I bought the seat frames then sent them to Al Knoch and had them upholster them.
The console is a Paul Atkins piece. I altered it a little.. When they send it to you the area under the storage lid is open no bottom in it. I put a piece in the bottom of it and put a USB port in it. I did buy a fiberglass dash from them but didn't use it. The dash is an Al Knoch piece also. It fit very well. Not easy to install but fit great. The console is wrapped in leather. I like the seat backs your talking about. A local interior shop was doing an interior on a 59 that had those in it. I'm a big guy 6'3 245 if I was building a car to keep I think I would use those they set you way back. Drawback is they aren't adjustable. Mine are.
Thanks Bruce for the info! Very nice job on the console! I was thinking about wrapping the Atkins dash in leather like the sample they have shown @ http://www.dashworksbypaulatkins.com..._Dash_Pad.html
Were you given an option from Al Knock to supply the leather? (I'm thinking a non stock color for mine). Thanks again for the info, and again, a fantastic job! -Ed
Old 08-17-2015, 05:20 PM
Brucebodyman
Racer

Originally Posted by jedjr59restomd
Thanks Bruce for the info! Very nice job on the console! I was thinking about wrapping the Atkins dash in leather like the sample they have shown @ http://www.dashworksbypaulatkins.com..._Dash_Pad.html
Were you given an option from Al Knock to supply the leather? (I'm thinking a non stock color for mine). Thanks again for the info, and again, a fantastic job! -Ed
I had Al Knoch send me samples. I wound up picking a C5 leather called torch red. They supplied leather for what they did and I bought extra so when my local guy did the trunk and convertible top storage area it would match.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:11 AM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 647 Likes on 276 Posts

Beautiful build Bruce. Can you comment on the chassis concepts chassis? Fit well? How's the ride?
Old 08-18-2015, 03:33 PM
Brucebodyman
Racer

Default Chassis

Originally Posted by Ken Sungela
Beautiful build Bruce. Can you comment on the chassis concepts chassis? Fit well? How's the ride?
Chassis fit to body was perfect every body mount was right on the money. All bumper bracket mounts were in the right place. I haven't driven car much. But ride so far is firm but nice. For the money these are a great chassis. Ray goes to a lot of shows. I'm sure a lot of you guys have seen him at Carlise,Bloomington,Auburn fall auction swap meet to name a few.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:08 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks Ed
Do you think the Atkins seat backs, set all the way back, would give more room for a big guy than the Wiseguy/AOK seats?
Old 08-18-2015, 07:21 PM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,887 Likes on 794 Posts

Very sharp indeed!
Old 08-18-2015, 07:25 PM
Brucebodyman
Racer

Default Seats

Originally Posted by Loren Smith
Do you think the Atkins seat backs, set all the way back, would give more room for a big guy than the Wiseguy/AOK seats?
I do think the Atkins seats would give you more room. The Atkins seat backs actually fasten to the fiberglass body behind stock seat location and the bottom bolts directly to the floor. The local interior shop that was doing an interior on a 59 vette was just shaping foam for those Atkins seats when I was there.. Depending on how thick you left the foam you could gain some room there.. I would also consider using Atkins dash pod.. If you cut it out like I did you can move column position up and closer to the dash giving you a few inches more between you and steering wheel. If it's a car your going to keep you could make it very comfortable using Atkins pieces
Old 08-18-2015, 11:05 PM
V6DVette
Intermediate

At the time I was ready to install the dash pad the car was already painted. The fiberglass Atkins dash was going to take a little work to make it fit. Especially on the ends where the factory metal end caps go. Plus I was going to wrap it in leather anyway. So I shelved it and went with the leather one. I don't like the look of a painted dash on these cars. I kept in mind I needed to build something that appealed to the majority of possible buyers but in case it didn't sell I needed to be happy with it. That's pretty much how I approach any build.
I can't tell you how jealous I am! Wish I have 1/10 your talent. I too am planning on getting the Atkins console and maybe their dashpad also. I appreciate your pics of it so I know what to expect. Now their dashpad?? Just how much extra work would it take to install? I already wrecked one AK pad.
and while we're talking about it...would you be willing to part with your? Since its leftover and all...
Old 08-19-2015, 12:27 PM
Brucebodyman
Racer

Originally Posted by V6DVette
I can't tell you how jealous I am! Wish I have 1/10 your talent. I too am planning on getting the Atkins console and maybe their dashpad also. I appreciate your pics of it so I know what to expect. Now their dashpad?? Just how much extra work would it take to install? I already wrecked one AK pad.
and while we're talking about it...would you be willing to part with your? Since its leftover and all...
The curve on the passenger side wasn't quite right I had to notch it out and reshape a little and re-glass. I just wasn't going to be happy with a fiberglass dash. By the time you buy the Atkins dash and then have it covered in leather you might as well buy the Al Knoch leather dash. Neither one is easy to install but this one was the first one I installed. Took all day but I took my time. As for the Atkins dash I have left over I'll dig it out. If I remember right I cut the end caps off it where the factory metal pieces go. I think I still have those. I'll find it and PM you
Old 08-19-2015, 01:44 PM
ricott
Racer

Received 262 Likes on 76 Posts

As the others have said, your work is over the top! I have the Paul Atkins dash pod and planned to use a tilt wheel in my 58 restomod. Do you mind giving the length and the manufacturer of the tilt wheel you used? Thanks.

Ricky
Old 08-19-2015, 05:20 PM
Brucebodyman
Racer

Default Steering column

Originally Posted by ricott
As the others have said, your work is over the top! I have the Paul Atkins dash pod and planned to use a tilt wheel in my 58 restomod. Do you mind giving the length and the manufacturer of the tilt wheel you used? Thanks.

Ricky
It's a flaming river column. They make a tilt column specifically for C1 vettes. It's really a street rod column that's longer. When I first ordered it k got the longest one they listed I think it was 30". It barely made it to the firewal. I sent it back and had them make it longer. I think it is around 34". I used a piece of 1 1/2 schedule 40 pvc as a mock up column to determine angle and hole placement in firewall. You have a lot of leeway on column length because you can cut your D shafts any length you want. I have about 8" of column sticking into engine compartment. Keep

in mind the ball mount you use to guide column through firewall will take up some of that.

Last edited by Brucebodyman; 08-19-2015 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Bad picture
Old 08-20-2015, 12:42 PM
V6DVette
Intermediate

The curve on the passenger side wasn't quite right I had to notch it out and reshape a little and re-glass. I just wasn't going to be happy with a fiberglass dash. By the time you buy the Atkins dash and then have it covered in leather you might as well buy the Al Knoch leather dash. Neither one is easy to install but this one was the first one I installed. Took all day but I took my time. As for the Atkins dash I have left over I'll dig it out. If I remember right I cut the end caps off it where the factory metal pieces go. I think I still have those. I'll find it and PM you
Great! Thanks Bruce.

Get notified of new replies

To Just finished 62 Restomod Photo shoot pics

Old 08-20-2015, 10:22 PM
Kkujaw
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sweet
Old 08-20-2015, 10:39 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,034 Likes on 1,250 Posts

Looks perfect to me.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:01 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Lot's more pictures here. Eye candy!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Corvette-/181841102900?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2a56930834&item=181841102900

Quick Reply: Just finished 62 Restomod Photo shoot pics