C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

My new 63

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 08:09 AM
mwizz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new 63

Hi all, I recently (in April) obtained a 1963 Sebring Silver convertible 327/300 manual. I have attached some pics below. This car has been in Australia since about 1993 when it was imported from Texas and had a complete restoration here in Adelaide, South Australia. I got the car from the second Australian owner and managed to track down the previous owner that imported the car here and he visited me today. This was an early build 63 which was built in December 1962. He told me that when he removed the body from the chassis he found a sheet located on top of the fuel tank. He took a copy of it and returned the original to its location on top of the fuel tank when he restored the car. He gave me a copy of the sheet today along with some pics from the restoration.

There appears to be a couple of interesting things about this car. The sheet says Corvette Order Copy on it and it also has A.O. SMITH just under Chevrolet Motor Division. When I looked up A.O. SMITH I saw that they were an alternative body maker between 1964 and 1967 but this is a 63 built in 62. It gives a Date Received of 4-22-62 and Exp. Date of Prod. 12-17-62. Order no. 24901, Zone no. 22, Dealer 134 (I could not find a record of Dealer 134).

The car's floor pan has a couple of lowered floor sections which are visible under the floor in the areas behind the seats. This apparently has something to do with an intention to trial/build a four seater version and some early 63s apparently had a floor pan such as this.

As I am still learning about C2s I am hoping that someone on here can enlighten me about the car.

Now for some pics.

Mark

Last edited by mwizz; 08-16-2015 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:16 AM
stratplus
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Congrats and enjoy. Very nice.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:35 AM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Congrats and enjoy. A real beauty.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:03 AM
morly1963
Melting Slicks

Received 631 Likes on 419 Posts

Hi nice car! The lower-wells in the floor are on early 63's and for tools.

"Early 1963 Tool Well under seats"

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...need-info.html
Old 08-16-2015, 10:11 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

That's a great looking car. There's a great deal of knowledge on this forum to help you enjoy bring the caretaker and driver of a vintage Corvette.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:30 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Clean, start living the dreams.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:36 AM
gold63
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

Congrats on a sweet looking '63!
I've never heard of a build sheet put on the tank in 1963 so something is up there. A former owner, perhaps the gent who shipped it to your location most prob did it I would guess. Can you post a picture of it?
The "tool well" depressions under your seats are correct for an early '63. They were actually made with the intention of adding power seats as an option and when that was ditched so were the depressions in later '63 models.
Would you mind sharing your serial number and trim tag info so that I can include your car in my '63 list? Check out the thread in the sticky section on top of the page.

Good luck with your new ride Mark!
Syd
Old 08-16-2015, 10:39 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

He told me that when he removed the body from the chassis he found a sheet located on top of the fuel tank. He took a copy of it and returned the original to its location on top of the fuel tank when he restored the car. He gave me a copy of the sheet today along with some pics from the restoration.

It is common knowledge and well accepted that tank stickers did not appear until 1967. This is a very interesting statement.

There appears to be a couple of interesting things about this car. The sheet says Corvette Order Copy on it and it also has A.O. SMITH just under Chevrolet Motor Division. When I looked up A.O. SMITH I saw that they were an alternative body maker between 1964 and 1967 but this is a 63 built in 62. It gives a Date Received of 4-22-62 and Exp. Date of Prod. 12-17-62. Order no. 24901, Zone no. 22, Dealer 134 (I could not find a record of Dealer 134).

Can you post a pic of the tank sticker?

The car's floor pan has a couple of lowered floor sections which are visible under the floor in the areas behind the seats. This apparently has something to do with an intention to trial/build a four seater version and some early 63s apparently had a floor pan such as this.

The deep well under the seats was intended for misc tool storage, but was discontinued a little later on.

As I am still learning about C2s I am hoping that someone on here can enlighten me about the car.

Your are right about a lot too learn on the cars, especially the '63's. Dennis

Now for some pics.

Mark

[/QUOTE]
Old 08-16-2015, 11:01 AM
corvetteed
Team Owner

Received 363 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Beautiful car. Welcome to the Forum. Interesting statement about that sheet on top of the tank. Would like to know more about that.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:37 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

How do prices on corvettes in Australia compare to United States. Do the cars there sell for more then in the USA. Sharp looking car. Silver is one of my favorite colors.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:46 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Nice that Australia no longer requires imported US cars to have the steering wheel moved to the right side.

Would seem to be an especially difficult proposition on a C2 or C3, with the tighter footwell on the passenger's side. Hqw did they make the clutch pedal work on the right side?
Old 08-17-2015, 04:25 AM
mwizz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by morly1963
Hi nice car! The lower-wells in the floor are on early 63's and for tools.

"Early 1963 Tool Well under seats"

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...need-info.html
Thanks for the info. That is good to know. Now I know what they are for.

Mark
Old 08-17-2015, 05:45 AM
mwizz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gold63
Congrats on a sweet looking '63!
I've never heard of a build sheet put on the tank in 1963 so something is up there. A former owner, perhaps the gent who shipped it to your location most prob did it I would guess. Can you post a picture of it?
The "tool well" depressions under your seats are correct for an early '63. They were actually made with the intention of adding power seats as an option and when that was ditched so were the depressions in later '63 models.
Would you mind sharing your serial number and trim tag info so that I can include your car in my '63 list? Check out the thread in the sticky section on top of the page.

Good luck with your new ride Mark!
Syd
Thanks Syd, I have included the info in your sticky

Mark
Old 08-17-2015, 05:57 AM
mwizz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
He told me that when he removed the body from the chassis he found a sheet located on top of the fuel tank. He took a copy of it and returned the original to its location on top of the fuel tank when he restored the car. He gave me a copy of the sheet today along with some pics from the restoration.

It is common knowledge and well accepted that tank stickers did not appear until 1967. This is a very interesting statement.

Can you post a pic of the tank sticker?

The deep well under the seats was intended for misc tool storage, but was discontinued a little later on.

Your are right about a lot too learn on the cars, especially the '63's. Dennis

Now for some pics.

Mark

[/QUOTE]

This is a copy of what was found on top of the tank. Apparently the car sat for 14 years in a shed in Texas before being found and shipped to Australia. It was in poor condition when it reached here and that is when the resto started and the sheet found.

Pic removed so it is not used as a genuine example by someone else

Last edited by mwizz; 08-18-2015 at 12:07 AM.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:04 AM
mwizz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
How do prices on corvettes in Australia compare to United States. Do the cars there sell for more then in the USA. Sharp looking car. Silver is one of my favorite colors.
There does not appear to be a lot of C1s and C2s here but the prices for those that are here seem to be around the 75K to over 100K depending on what type of car and condition. Not many being imported now because of the 30% difference in the conversion rate plus shipping and taxes makes buying one an expensive proposition. There are now good buys here for those that purchased when our dollar was high and want to sell.

Mark
Old 08-17-2015, 06:07 AM
mwizz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sub006
Nice that Australia no longer requires imported US cars to have the steering wheel moved to the right side.

Would seem to be an especially difficult proposition on a C2 or C3, with the tighter footwell on the passenger's side. Hqw did they make the clutch pedal work on the right side?
Most choose not to convert to RHD as it is better to leave them original as historical registration is much cheaper when you are a member of a car club. The clutch, brake and accelerator pedal configuration is the same for RHD as are for LHD.

Mark
Old 08-17-2015, 07:52 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

That document is very suspicious....too pristine and no, no build sheets in '63.....I've looked all over my coupe tank and there is no evidence of anything on it. I know of no "Fire Frost" '63 paint scheme.

There are several theories about the early fiberglass drops in the floor; toolboxes; potential power seats (never offered in '63) and even footwells for passengers in a proposed rear seat. I've never heard a definitive answer backed up by facts....

You have a beautiful car.....I wouldn't convert it to RH drive...that'll cause a host of issues you have to overcome...

63's have delicate, expensive, one-year-only shifter consoles.....that plastic cup holder you have will scratch up the aluminum before long. Remove it and get a different cup holder or at least sand all the sharp features off the bottom of that one....that thing won't hold cups/cans on hard turns anyway -- useless.

Vendors offer a nice (but pricey) one that goes between the seats and is what I use (see pic).

You prob already know the steering wheel, seat belts and right hand side mirror are not original. No biggee -- plenty of cars running around with those changes...
Attached Images   

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 08-17-2015 at 08:08 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To My new 63

Old 08-17-2015, 08:13 AM
mwizz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
That document is very suspicious....too pristine and no, no build sheets in '63.....I've looked all over my coupe tank and there is no evidence of anything on it.

There are several theories about the early fiberglass drops in the floor; toolboxes; potential power seats (never offered in '63) and even footwells for passengers in a proposed rear seat. I've never heard a definitive answer backed up by facts....

You have a beautiful car.....I wouldn't convert it to RH drive...that'll cause a host of issues you have to overcome...

63's have delicate, expensive, one-year-only shifter consoles.....that plastic cup holder you have will scratch up the aluminum before long. Remove it and get a different cup holder or at least sand all the sharp features off the bottom of that one....that thing won't hold cups/cans on hard turns anyway -- useless.

Vendors offer a nice (but pricey) one that goes between the seats and is what I use (see pic).

You prob already know the steering wheel, seat belts and right hand side mirror are not original. No biggee -- plenty of cars running around with those changes...
Thanks Frankie,

The document is a photocopy of what was found on the tank. He has put the original back there. He said it was on a different type/texture of paper but not sure what type he means. I wish he had kept the original out and put a copy of it back there instead.

There is no way I would convert to RHD, not a consideration at all.

I removed the plastic cup holder just after I got it, so all fixed.

Thanks for the info on the steering wheel, seat belts and mirror. Seat belts have to be changed in Australia to meet our design rules. The steering wheel and all of the interior has been reupholstered in leather as the guy who imported the car and his father had an auto upholstery business. I'm not looking to turn it into concours as I have already done that to one car previously so just happy with a nice driver that I can improve bit by bit.

Last edited by mwizz; 08-17-2015 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:16 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Its a sweet car.....I'd be proud to own it...or even that early Mustang in the background !
Old 08-17-2015, 04:42 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Beautiful '63, no doubt about it - wonderful car!

That said, the paper the PO said he found on the gas tank is a 100% fake - they didn't exist until 1967, the key identifiers and data are incorrect, the fonts are all wrong, and it's patently obvious that it was just created recently. I wouldn't even acknowledge it or mention it - it just brings the rest of the car into question, regardless of how good it looks.

Quick Reply: My new 63