C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Sharing significant other's 1st ride in the Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 11:25 AM
Gloryhog
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sharing significant other's 1st ride in the Corvette

The moment of truth arrived this morning as my wife of 47 years warily eased herself into the passenger seat of my 66 BB, side-piped, fire breathing roadster that had arrived in our garage last week. It was to be her first, and therefore, her most important encounter with "our" new toy.

I took great care in getting out there early so I could remove the vette from the garage so she didn't experience the ear-shattering effect of a cold start in an enclosed space. These 1st impression experiences cannot be left to chance, you know. I could bore you with all sorts of details about the trip, but when it was all said and done, she agreed that it was "marginally enjoyable" and "possibly worth another try". VICTORY!!

Oh, there were a few hitches---"this is messing up my hair" and "I smell fumes", but she was a real sport when I forgot myself and briefly contested for speed with a bubba in a souped up pickup. So I think I can win her over given just a little more time, and if I can keep my foot out of it when she's in the car.

It occurred to me that there are probably many good stories about your significant others' first experiences with your treasured corvettes. Would any of you care to share?
Old 08-24-2015, 11:47 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,263 Likes on 1,686 Posts

I'll start.
when I started my L76 with pipes the first time for wifey, she covered her ears, screamed and ran off. I was later able to coax her into the passenger seat for a short jaunt around the neighborhood, but that's it. Six years and she has not been near the car since. yah!
You didn't win anyone over. Yours hated it too, but was being nice so as not to hurt your feelings.
Enjoy!
Old 08-24-2015, 11:55 AM
Gloryhog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 65hihp
I'll start.
when I started my L76 with pipes the first time for wifey, she covered her ears, screamed and ran off. I was later able to coax her into the passenger seat for a short jaunt around the neighborhood, but that's it. Six years and she has not been near the car since. yah!
You didn't win anyone over. Yours hated it too, but was being nice so as not to hurt your feelings.
Enjoy!
I choose to believe that there is always hope. 😊.

Thanks for sharing. Home movies to go with the stories would be great, wouldn't it!
Old 08-24-2015, 12:04 PM
Tooth Doctor
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 201 Posts

I keep a light blanket and a scarf in the back. Otherwise she's too cold and her hair is blowing. Once she's all wrapped up she's fine and seems to enjoy the ride.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:05 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,159 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

The first time my wife rode in my 65 was the night I met her in 1974. I met her at a seaside restaurant/lounge here on Cape Cod. After some discussion, which inevitably led to Corvettes, she agreed to take a ride with the roof off. She loved the ride and the car, sidepipes and all.

Still have the wife and the car. She's driving down with me to Carlisle on Wednesday.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:09 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Pictures...
Old 08-24-2015, 12:22 PM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

Hang in there, it sounds like she is liking it already.
Once she starts getting all the attention these Corvette bring she will start getting the feeling of being younger and vibrant when out in the car.
As far as the hair thing, I bought a bunch of scarfs with flames and wild graphics for my wife to wear. Now she has her hair a lot shorter and really likes not having to wear a scarf.
My wife doesn't like any racing or burnouts but she doesn't mind the occasional row through the gears on the on ramps.
We've been married 48 years.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:22 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

You mean your wives are content just being passengers?

Old 08-24-2015, 12:34 PM
Johnbar
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
The first time my wife rode in my 65 was the night I met her in 1974. I met her at a seaside restaurant/lounge here on Cape Cod. After some discussion, which inevitably led to Corvettes, she agreed to take a ride with the roof off. She loved the ride and the car, sidepipes and all.

Still have the wife and the car. She's driving down with me to Carlisle on Wednesday.
Boy you got a good one! Mine is a sport too, been married 46 years and just got my first C2 last week( a '64). She is not a car person but is happy for me.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:37 PM
Gloryhog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Randy G.
Pictures...
I did memorialize the occasion with a pic:
Attached Images  
Old 08-24-2015, 01:10 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Picture, 1000 words, but no sound

How about an audio?
Old 08-24-2015, 01:40 PM
CrossedUp
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 155 Posts

I guess I'm pretty lucky. When I met my wife in 1977 she owned a 1970 coupe as her daily driver. One day, shortly after we got married, I got rear ended in it. No frame damage just fiberglass, bumpers and some odds and ends. She was real upset about it so, instead of just repairing it, I decided to do a frame-on restoration of it. Then we sold it after we had our twins in 1983.

Two weeks ago I bought an unrestored yet immaculate 1965 roadster with 73k original miles. She loves the car nearly as much as I do.

-Doug
Old 08-24-2015, 01:48 PM
1COOL60
Burning Brakes

Location: Emporia, pay no attention to that man behind the curtain, KS
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SDVette
You mean your wives are content just being passengers?
See my avatar. That is my wife lining up for autocross at Eureka Springs.

Last edited by 1COOL60; 08-24-2015 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:07 PM
Gloryhog
Intermediate

Thanks to those who have shared so far. I have to admit that I was expecting many more disaster type stories than we have so far. Maybe with some more time........
Old 08-24-2015, 03:40 PM
DomL64
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

Bought my 64 before the first wife. We went for a lot of rides until the kids came alone.
Put it away for 15 years. Finally have a house with a garage and this wife (2nd) is excited.
When I'm done restoring it, I already know I'm gonna have to share the driving.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:22 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

I owned my '67 before I married my ex - she never liked the car. That shoulda told me something! Kept the car thru a nasty divorce since it wasn't community property.

Met the current one at a first date with the car there, went for a drive after dinner. She's the only woman I've ever met who likes cars as much as I do - a keeper!
Old 08-24-2015, 07:16 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Received 746 Likes on 243 Posts

My wife likes to ride and for the first year the daughter and I would drive the 60 followed by the wife in her regular car. This year we all 3 started going in the 60. My wife bought her own Chevy hat. My 5 year old girl told her she liked it better when mommy follows in her own car. I'm raising her right.

Get notified of new replies

To Sharing significant other's 1st ride in the Corvette

Old 08-24-2015, 07:32 PM
fozdyck
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default great ride

I take my wife for a ride almost every day and when were done we go out to the shop to look at my vette she likes it too
Old 08-24-2015, 08:12 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Received 746 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by fozdyck
I take my wife for a ride almost every day and when were done we go out to the shop to look at my vette she likes it too
Old 08-24-2015, 09:02 PM
FFBillysCor
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default The Ride

Originally Posted by Gloryhog
The moment of truth arrived this morning as my wife of 47 years warily eased herself into the passenger seat of my 66 BB, side-piped, fire breathing roadster that had arrived in our garage last week. It was to be her first, and therefore, her most important encounter with "our" new toy.

I took great care in getting out there early so I could remove the vette from the garage so she didn't experience the ear-shattering effect of a cold start in an enclosed space. These 1st impression experiences cannot be left to chance, you know. I could bore you with all sorts of details about the trip, but when it was all said and done, she agreed that it was "marginally enjoyable" and "possibly worth another try". VICTORY!!

Oh, there were a few hitches---"this is messing up my hair" and "I smell fumes", but she was a real sport when I forgot myself and briefly contested for speed with a bubba in a souped up pickup. So I think I can win her over given just a little more time, and if I can keep my foot out of it when she's in the car.

It occurred to me that there are probably many good stories about your significant others' first experiences with your treasured corvettes. Would any of you care to share?
We all have somewhat similar stories. "When are you going to finish that thing ?". "Does it have seat belts ?". "Nobody else better go for a ride before I do !" I recently finished a 66 convertible with a L-79 and side pipes, so we went for a short trip past a golf course, and I opened it up a little. Several golfers, one at the top of his stroke, turned to watch us as we sped by. As we got back home, she said "well, that was cute". Go figure.

Quick Reply: Sharing significant other's 1st ride in the Corvette