C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

rear spindle bearing tools

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 05:45 PM
67 seeker
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear spindle bearing tools

I am about to undertake replacing the spindle bearings. Does anyone in the Toronto area have the set up tool and bearing set tool they would be willing to loan for a fee this fall?
Old 08-31-2015, 07:51 AM
VITIV Coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 92 Posts

Unless you have all the equipment and measuring devices to perform the needed work, its just not worth it to do this procedure yourself. I just replaced the bearings in my rear spindles this year. I'm not sure anyone in the TO area even knows how to do this work and I wouldn't trust them anyway unless they had a proven track record in this field. Get a hold of Bairs in Pennsylvania (30 miles south of Erie, Pa) and they will set you up. Talk to Brian. He can rebuild them for $175.00 US/ side, or if your not into originality, he can have 2 sitting on the shelf and drive down with your old ones (1.5 hours on the other side of Buffalo) and exchange them, same day service. They are the best in the business and they know their stuff.
http://www.bairscorvette.com/c2suspe...buildkits.html
Old 08-31-2015, 08:17 AM
67 seeker
Advanced

Originally Posted by VITIV Coupe
Unless you have all the equipment and measuring devices to perform the needed work, its just not worth it to do this procedure yourself. I just replaced the bearings in my rear spindles this year. I'm not sure anyone in the TO area even knows how to do this work and I wouldn't trust them anyway unless they had a proven track record in this field. Get a hold of Bairs in Pennsylvania (30 miles south of Erie, Pa) and they will set you up. Talk to Brian. He can rebuild them for $175.00 US/ side, or if your not into originality, he can have 2 sitting on the shelf and drive down with your old ones (1.5 hours on the other side of Buffalo) and exchange them, same day service. They are the best in the business and they know their stuff.
http://www.bairscorvette.com/c2suspe...buildkits.html
Really appreciate the advice. Do you know if that includes rotors as I do not need any. Regardless I will give them a call much appreciated.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:57 AM
VITIV Coupe
Burning Brakes

No, that does not include rotors. What they do is when you give them your spindles, they check everything and they will reuse your rotors, if for some reason your rotors are out of spec, then you will be charged for a new , or used rotor, which ever you prefer. Give Brain a call, you won't be disappointed. OBTW, I'm in Cambridge.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:39 AM
67 seeker
Advanced

Awesome thanks again. Are you part of any club?
Old 08-31-2015, 10:52 AM
VITIV Coupe
Burning Brakes

No, just a hard core enthusiast. The only club I belong to is this Corvette Forum, a ton of knowledge here and great people.
Leo
Old 09-02-2015, 07:50 AM
67 seeker
Advanced

Has anyone had any success using heat on the trailarm bolt for removal?
Old 09-02-2015, 08:36 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,327 Likes on 959 Posts

Default Trailing arms

If a week of soaking with Liquid Wrench, Kroil Oil or Bead Blaster does not work, try a torch. The trailing arms in my 68, which spent its early years as a driver in NY, came off without a lick of problem. My 66, which spent its life in San Jose, CA, was a bear to remove the bolts. I ended up cutting them out using a sawsall and more than a few carbide blades. Check the archives, there is much information on the topic. Jerry
Old 09-02-2015, 09:41 AM
67 seeker
Advanced

Looks like there is very little room. For a sawzall stroke hence the many blades. Thanks
Old 09-07-2015, 12:55 PM
67 seeker
Advanced

Default Frame protection

I have just removed my t-arms. Before I reinstall I was going to prime and paint the inner area. Frame is great shape, wire brushed all loose debris. Just looking for any tips on what anyone uses I figure rust primer and semi gloss black rust paint is a good idea I will also coat it all with anhydrous lanolin. Any advice appreciated
Old 09-07-2015, 03:57 PM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

There are some drain holes, or areas in the bottom corners that did not get welded. Make sure they are open and clean of debris. They keep water from pooling in that pocket.

- Mark
Old 09-07-2015, 06:34 PM
67 seeker
Advanced

Yes I did figure there would be some. Thanks.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:59 PM
0Northern Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm in Niagara and can lend you the setup tool, or can sell you rebuilt trailing arms or bearing assemblies. Just leave deposit for tool, or call with CC and I can ship it to you. I'll also be in Barrie for the swap meet all week if you're going there. Let me know before around 1 or so tomorrow and i can throw it in the trailer for you. 905-932-7130

Get notified of new replies

To rear spindle bearing tools

Quick Reply: rear spindle bearing tools