C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Trac Wrap Report

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 12:39 PM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Trac Wrap Report

Last winter I bought a roll 12 inches wide and either 40 or 60 feet long. I wanted to use it on my 66 and on my truck. I put it behind the rear wheel wells on the 66 back in the spring and I covered the leading edge of the front just before I left for Carlisle. This stuff is made by Xpel and I have had Xpel Ultimate on my C6 z06 for two years. I have incurred no damage on the Z06.

The plan was to install 3 pieces across the front middle section and the two headlight buckets. I couldn't get it on without a lot of bubbles using a piece 12 inches wide. I cut it back to 4 inch strips and succeeded in getting it installed to my satisfaction. It was very hard to see. Anyway, I used a little heat on it today and it pulled right off.

I love this stuff. It is very easy to install on a flat panel. Going around angles gets harder but the pros can do it. Once you get the air bubbles out and it dries, it is very hard to see. You install it using a water bottle sprayer and a squeegee. You get the surface good a wet and then lay down the Trac Wrap. You start with the squeegee in the middle and work out toward the edges. Once you get all the water and air bubbles out you are finished. I still have the stuff behind my wheel wells and unless I told you where it was, you would have a hard time seeing it.

Last point, If you want protection for a trip and don't care about a few imperfections, you can cover the front end in a few minutes with one
piece. You will have a few wrinkles but it will do the job. It looks much better than blue tape.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:09 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

And sounds like it won't flap in the breeze and strip paint, like a bra. Great idea for road trips, sounds like.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:15 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 784 Likes on 536 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Never heard of it. Sounds like something I need for my race car. Where did you find it ?
Old 09-06-2015, 02:21 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Pop Chevy
Never heard of it. Sounds like something I need for my race car. Where did you find it ?
If it's for the front of the wings, helicopter tape is better.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:59 PM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

You can buy it directly from Xpel. Just Google it and there is plenty of info. There are even vids on how to install.

Get notified of new replies

To Trac Wrap Report

Quick Reply: Trac Wrap Report