C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Rich's Restoration Website Going Away - Thanks Comcast

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 06:04 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 563 Likes on 337 Posts

Default Rich's Restoration Website Going Away - Thanks Comcast

For many of you who visited my site for restoration tips, Corvette documentation, stories, etc, please note the site will be disabled on October 8th. Comcast has decided to remove this service and delete all websites, files, photos, etc. Another corporate decision to remove something from their customers with a smile.

I have to create a new site on a new server at a later time. I am extremely busy with my projects and have no idea when I'll get to it. If you want to download anything, best do it soon by Oct 8th.

I'd love to find a simple way to convert my site to a new ISP. I have to download and save my HTML's, but the links to photos will be lost. This is the worst part. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I probably have several thousand photos and files there, only about a GB though.

I used to write HTML and created a few corporate sites long ago when I was in the electronics industry as a hardware engineer, but have been away from it now for over ten years restoring Corvettes, Boats, and Jags instead.

Rich
Old 09-10-2015, 06:52 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I am attempting to 'rip' your entire website down to my PC with a utility I've used before; it'll be locally browsable with all links, photos, text and files intact if it works. The utility will allow you to redeploy the web site to a mirror later on IF IT WORKS... There can be glitches depending on Java implementation, recursive links, complex CGI with redirects, lots of other snags.

I've done it before elsewhere so if it works out I'll PM you. You'll have to send me an email with your FULL permission allowing me to do the web site capture for the record or I will delete it from my PC within 24 hours (there can be some ethical/legalities involved)....

It will take a while.....prob all day (I have other bandwidth hog processes working concurrently).

Again, depending on site construction its a 70/30 chance it will work.

I"ll upload the site to my RAID NAS storage for safekeeping and regular backup if it goes OK...

I can then send you a CD of the site or show you how to rip it yourself.
(You would think Comcast would do the same as a courtesy!)

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-10-2015 at 07:17 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:22 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Is your site accessible with FTP (file transfer protocol)? If so you should be able to copy everything with an FTP program.

Charles
Old 09-10-2015, 07:24 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by cbernhardt
Is your site accessible with FTP (file transfer protocol)? If so you should be able to copy everything with an FTP program.

Charles
Uh...not that simple....for a variety of technical reasons and some ISPs don't allow it.
That's why there are sophisticated utilities to do this task
Old 09-10-2015, 07:36 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Wow Frank that'd be awesome !!!

I'll send you the info you need.

Yes it's FTP'able but the links to photos etc aren't captured. That's the main problem as i see it.

Rich
Old 09-10-2015, 07:44 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

If you linked from Comcast out to another site for photos my process may not work either...the links will be preserved but they won't lead anywhere on the mirror.

Did you have anything under the "Photos" or "Blog" section of your website ?

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-10-2015 at 07:50 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:46 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I looked at the page source on some of Rich's pages and it looks to me like the photo links are in the HTML code, but you guys probably know more about this than I do.

Charles
Old 09-10-2015, 08:05 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I've got the site local and I'm beating the comcast site against my local rip....
I'll report back..
Old 09-10-2015, 08:08 AM
Tiros
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Comcast is always in the top ten most hated companies for USA, year after year.

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and...-usage-trials/

It's a "Trial" ? I'd bet the Vette they aren't "trying it" in FIOS areas. (don't get excited->j.k.)

And how nice they are going to let you go over the limit 3x during the adjustment period without billing you.

There is nothing stopping them from lowering the limit at any time.

Did they lower the OPs bill when they took away his feature?

At my house you can pick Comcast or Comcast. And they know it.

Last edited by Tiros; 09-10-2015 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:16 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
If you linked from Comcast out to another site for photos my process may not work either...the links will be preserved but they won't lead anywhere on the mirror.

Did you have anything under the "Photos" or "Blog" section of your website ?
Nope, all photos local on "myonlinestorage" directory and no outside photos or links. I planned that knowing someday the site may get transferred elsewhere. Years ago I had a server for a while for real estate stuff but when i sold the property I let it lapse.

"Photos" directory had many photos but they deleted them long ago. I never found out why. No "Blog" either.

Thanks,
Rich
ps sent you a note a little while ago
Old 09-10-2015, 08:25 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I can't find any errors on the local copy of your website...all links are self-referencing on the same website; the external links to youtube work (e.g. your old boat videos), but I'm not seeing anything close to a gigabyte of data...and the coding is pretty unsophisticated...

FTP may well have worked...

Here is the facility I used and it copied your site in about an hour:
https://www.httrack.com/

You can kick it off yourself Rich and just let it run while you're working...
Old 09-10-2015, 08:27 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tiros
Comcast is always in the top ten most hated companies for USA, year after year.

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and...-usage-trials/

It's a "Trial" ? I'd bet the Vette they aren't "trying it" in FIOS areas. (don't get excited->j.k.)

And how nice they are going to let you go over the limit 3x during the adjustment period without billing you.

There is nothing stopping them from lowering the limit at any time.

Did they lower the OPs bill when they took away his feature?

At my house you can pick Comcast or Comcast. And they know it.
That's some new stuff so they can become more profitable.

The website stuff PWP(Personal Web Pages), was a Perk they had 5 years ago, 100MB max, then upped to 1GBa year later, free to all users. So I kept growing the site cuz they gave me more space. So I used it, started a little site for info, then it grew to a ugly monster using their free website tools, junky and very limited, but easy. So now they are taking away my free gifts and being a indian giver. I hate them for the grief and huge costs. I bend over every time I pay my bill.

2 years ago, if you had a PWP site, you could keep it, but they disallowed any new users from using it. So it was grandfathered to those who started it and setup a site.

A month ago they informed all users that it's going away. They never supported it after a while, and the Comcast Forums were the only help. Sometimes the PWP Editor went down and it took weeks for Comcast to fix it. All moot now so I'll be looking for a new ISP, and probably drop Comcast totally afterwards. I'm paying $75 a month just for Comcast Internet, which includes Basic Cable but I have Dish Network 250 channels so Comcast TV is only good to verify cable at the pole lately by plugging in a TV to diagnose internet faults.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:55 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

I can't find any errors on the local copy of your website...all links are self-referencing on the same website; the external links to youtube work (e.g. your old boat videos), but I'm not seeing anything close to a gigabyte of data...and the coding is pretty unsophisticated...

FTP may well have worked...

Here is the facility I used and it copied your site in about an hour:
https://www.httrack.com/

You can kick it off yourself Rich and just let it run while you're working...
Thanks Frank!! I'll run it later in the shop. Doing a '59 soft top install and will need a break later.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:15 AM
stratplus
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Rich, your site is amazing with your detailed write ups with your descriptions and great photos.

I use Comcast now and hate them, I hate them even more now.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:18 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I hate them now too and I've never used them.

FIRST RULE OF CUSTOMER CARE:

Don't take something away that you've already given the customer without providing an equivalent product....or some compensation, AND, plenty of notice you are going to do so!

I have an ugly story about Toyota's "complimentary" ToyotaCare program I won't share here..
Old 09-10-2015, 10:59 AM
grumpy10956
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

please let us know when you have relocated the sight enjoy reading about the Betty Skelton 1956.

grumpy
Old 09-11-2015, 07:14 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Frank I didn't get out of the shop until about 10 and too tired to hack, but I just started running the mirror now.

Really nice S/W. Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I'll report back later.

Within the month or two I'll get a new ISP and re-create my site elsewhere. With time I'm going to rewrite the site to make it more user friendly and better looking.

Thanks
Rich

Get notified of new replies

To Rich's Restoration Website Going Away - Thanks Comcast

Old 09-11-2015, 07:36 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by rich5962
Frank I didn't get out of the shop until about 10 and too tired to hack, but I just started running the mirror now.

Really nice S/W. Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I'll report back later.

Within the month or two I'll get a new ISP and re-create my site elsewhere. With time I'm going to rewrite the site to make it more user friendly and better looking.

Thanks
Rich
More then glad to help Rich - I hope everything got transferred OK.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:06 AM
60-vette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Keep good things going.

More then glad to help Rich - I hope everything got transferred OK.
I hope so too, because I am just good in making notes with a ballpen. I would not be able to copy Rich's pages on my pc.
Frankie will you enable us to get access to Rich's good "How to" s?

Rich's pages and replies helped me a lot in keeping my vette still going strong.

Thank you, I'll put a word in for you tonite.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:37 AM
Craftsman51
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Comcast = yuk

Quick Reply: Rich's Restoration Website Going Away - Thanks Comcast