C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Hand laid vs. Press Molded for Restomod

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 02:43 PM
Copterman84
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Hand laid vs. Press Molded for Restomod

I am building a 62 restomod, and the outer body panels have had a rough life and are in the process of being repaired. I will be installing GTS Customs hand laid flared rear quarter panels but had planned on using press molded where ever possible. I visited with my body shop (he specialized in corvettes) last week, and we were discussing whether to repair or replace the nose. He suggested going with a 1 piece hand laid front end which surprised me. His view was "not an NCRS car so why spend the money". My research has always pointed me in the direction of press molded, easier to install, better fit and finish. One shop I interviewed even went so far to state that the money you save on buying hand laid will be consumed in labor to install the nose.

My plan is to build a nice car that I will drive a fair amount and potentially show locally (it will not be a trailer queen). Plan to use a corvette corrections frame, tremec 6 speed, etc. etc.

So my questions are:
A. Will substituting a hand laid nose reduce the value of the vehicle? B. Any different views than what I outlined about hand laid vs., press molded?
C. Who has the better product these days Corvette Image or Sermersheims?

Thank you in advance.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:32 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

I can answer your A and B questions and I'm sure that someone else will provide the answer to C.

A. Yes, handlaid as opposed to press molded will be a definitive factor in resale value.

B. Press molded is a much better way to reproduce panels. Think of it this way, if it was the way they were produced at the factory need I say more?

Gary
Old 09-15-2015, 05:00 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I am no body man but from what I read on here is the time and money you saved by getting a hand laid front end you will spend it trying to make it fit and look good. All the high end resto mod cars will have to press molded front clips. There is a reason for that.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:48 PM
65-StingRay
Burning Brakes

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

I also agree with the 2 posters above me - press molded for better fitment and resale.

65-StingRay

Get notified of new replies

To Hand laid vs. Press Molded for Restomod

Quick Reply: Hand laid vs. Press Molded for Restomod