C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How to install midyear hardtop

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 06:45 AM
MaineDoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 60 Posts

Default How to install midyear hardtop

My 66 convertible is my first one with a hardtop. All the other midyears have been coupes or had just the soft top. My question is how to best install the two bolts going down through the rear deck that have nuts underneath. The soft top seems to prevent me from getting my hand under there to put the nut on. My solution has been to set the top on the car, install and tighten the side bolts and then lift the attached top up slightly. This is a two person operation so one holds the top up while the other installs the nuts. Is there a better or easier way? I never had this issue with solid axle hardtops because the back bolts are easily put in from the top.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:50 AM
Subfixer
POSSE ZR-1 Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts

It is indeed a tight fit back there with the soft top folded up.

I took a different approach.... When using the hard top, I remove the soft top completely. I marked the position of the brackets so when reinstalled, it fits correctly.

With the soft top removed, there is a lot of space for luggage, folding chairs, etc...
Old 09-20-2015, 09:50 AM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 544 Likes on 314 Posts

My '64 ran with its removable hardtop for years with only the side hold down bolts in place. The rear deck hold down bolts were not used. Never had a problem running that way.

Heck of a lot easier when removing the hardtop to go topless. Since acquiring a soft soft top the hardtop is stored hanging from the ceiling in the garage.
John
Old 09-20-2015, 10:12 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by mrg
My '64 ran with its removable hardtop for years with only the side hold down bolts in place. The rear deck hold down bolts were not used. Never had a problem running that way.

John
Old 09-20-2015, 10:41 AM
62corvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 663 Likes on 472 Posts

Bill,
I just did it for the first time this week on my 67. Used your method, but did it myself after my wife helped me lift it in place. Not an easy thing to do.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:13 AM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Bill.
When I used those rear deck bolts I did it just as you describe also. That is the easiest way with the soft top installed but I do now just leave them out when I put on my hardtop. It is secure without them.

Don
The following users liked this post:
Mr D. (09-20-2015)
Old 09-20-2015, 12:42 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by 5thvet
Bill.
When I used those rear deck bolts I did it just as you describe also. That is the easiest way with the soft top installed but I do now just leave them out when I put on my hardtop. It is secure without them.

Don
That's how I did it when I ran a hardtop on my '65.

But I did use the clear plastic deck protectors. Was worried that, without the rear bolts, the rubber might wiggle around more and chafe the paint. Maybe not a real issue, but I felt better with the protectors (which I made from 40 mil rear window plastic).
Old 09-20-2015, 12:53 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Geary
That's how I did it when I ran a hardtop on my '65.

But I did use the clear plastic deck protectors. Was worried that, without the rear bolts, the rubber might wiggle around more and chafe the paint. Maybe not a real issue, but I felt better with the protectors (which I made from 40 mil rear window plastic).
Good point, I use them on both the hardtop and soft top.

Don

Get notified of new replies

To How to install midyear hardtop

Quick Reply: How to install midyear hardtop