C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Electric speedometer conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 08:51 AM
SLWRNU
Safety Car

Received 372 Likes on 221 Posts

Default Electric speedometer conversion

Looking to change the speedometer in my 65 to electronic from cable driven. Car has an LS3 and TKO 600 5spd trans. Reason is that I've had two speedometers stop working in three years. Odometer works fine but needle is erratic and now won't move at all. Since the Tremec has provisions for both types of speedometers I'd like to give an electronic one a shot. Also would prefer to use a stock looking gauge if at all possible. Anyone done this? How big a deal would this be.
Details greatly appreciated.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:49 PM
1COOL60
Burning Brakes

Location: Emporia, pay no attention to that man behind the curtain, KS
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Unless you are dead-set on doing it yourself, you might try contacting Corvette Instruments in Florida. I don't see a speedometer conversion listed, but he does convert mid-year tachs to electric. Should be about the same process.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:46 PM
bosshog8
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

There are plenty of speedometers that will work. If you have an LS3 then have you already put an electric tach in? Use the match. If not 5" autometers fit perfect from the back and they have tons of styles. Some are very close to stock. The tremec should already have the pulse generator installed and just needs the plug because the speedometer doesn't come with it. It will require some customization to just replace that gauge.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:47 AM
SLWRNU
Safety Car

Received 372 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by bosshog8
There are plenty of speedometers that will work. If you have an LS3 then have you already put an electric tach in? Use the match. If not 5" autometers fit perfect from the back and they have tons of styles. Some are very close to stock. The tremec should already have the pulse generator installed and just needs the plug because the speedometer doesn't come with it. It will require some customization to just replace that gauge.
Yes the tach is electronic and, I think, the original tach face was used and somehow converted to electronic thru thru the computer somehow. Can the original style speedometer face be converted the same way is my question.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:41 AM
bosshog8
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

In theory you just want to take the guts out of an electronic speedo and put them in place of the cable one. I'm not sure this is possible because how can you keep the stock glass? An electronic speedo has to be caliblrated and has other functions so it has a button on the face. I have been down this road and just decided to do an entire matching instrument change. The stock amp meter is useless so that's 3, 1/2 of the gauges, that need to be changed or modified. That's why I changed everything. Not to mention I didn't like an oil line in the car. Maybe there is a solution like you want but I don't know of it.
Old 04-19-2022, 04:18 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 311 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist

Does any vendor sell the 1965-1967 Corvette Large Speedometer Gauge—Electronic version?

Get notified of new replies

To Electric speedometer conversion

Quick Reply: Electric speedometer conversion