C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Correct Sealer Primer - Urethane vs Epoxy (for C1 restoration)?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 09:34 AM
jjahn
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Correct Sealer Primer - Urethane vs Epoxy (for C1 restoration)?

Hi there.

I'm currently in the "paint" phase for my C1 (59) body / components. I've applied filler primer for the 2nd time and am wet sanding in preparation for the sealer primer phase. I plan to purchase the Acrylic Lacquer (PPG) from TCP Global as my color coat.

When I went to the paint store yesterday to purchase more filler primer, I asked what they recommended for the sealer primer after mentioning I would be painting lacquer as my color coat. I also mentioned I would like to continue using PPG products throughout so I don't mix brands.

He recommended either urethane (which I purchased) or epoxy as the sealer coat. Would you recommend one over the other (urethane vs epoxy) or will they both prep the surface appropriately prior to applying my color coat?

I've put so much work into this project so far and want to make sure everything will lay down without too many issues.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Jill
Old 10-13-2015, 10:20 AM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 647 Likes on 276 Posts

I would post in the "Paint/Body" forum under General Corvette for other opinions.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:19 PM
domenic tallarita
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by jjahn
Hi there.

I'm currently in the "paint" phase for my C1 (59) body / components. I've applied filler primer for the 2nd time and am wet sanding in preparation for the sealer primer phase. I plan to purchase the Acrylic Lacquer (PPG) from TCP Global as my color coat.

When I went to the paint store yesterday to purchase more filler primer, I asked what they recommended for the sealer primer after mentioning I would be painting lacquer as my color coat. I also mentioned I would like to continue using PPG products throughout so I don't mix brands.

He recommended either urethane (which I purchased) or epoxy as the sealer coat. Would you recommend one over the other (urethane vs epoxy) or will they both prep the surface appropriately prior to applying my color coat?

I've put so much work into this project so far and want to make sure everything will lay down without too many issues.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Jill
Jill,
personally I like the epoxy primer as it is easy to mix correctly. I use it 1st and seal the glass, then sand and apply another coat (tinted) so I don't sand thru the sealer. You sound like your following the manufactures directions and that's always best.

Dom
Old 10-13-2015, 01:27 PM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I purchased some urethane primer to spray my frame for the 32 ford. After I was done I started to actually read the warnings on the primer. It indicated that you should not apply this primer with only a simple paint mask with filters. It advised that I should have a mask that provides fresh air at all times. I quit at that point. I am not sure that this is something shops follow when spraying urethane, maybe someone else can chime in here. Good luck with your project.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:43 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken Sungela
I would post in the "Paint/Body" forum under General Corvette for other opinions.

If not gelcoating then epoxy primer is what I have always understood to be reommended for sealing the body and body work. But Dub in the Paint/Body forum would be a good source to check with.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:37 PM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,433 Likes on 738 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Epoxy is a great primer over metal and also is a great primer to do your body work over
Urethane is a great primer for blocking and getting your panels level and straight
If your ready for the final sealer and ready for color - go epoxy.
If your not done sanding - go Urethane.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:08 PM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

Best to talk to a PPG paint rep. I also like the PPG products and in the past used the epoxy primer over the bare fiberglass before the sandable primer. Before any color is applied, I use the DP-40 (epoxy primer) again as a sealer only when it's used as a sealer it is reduced 50% with laquer thinner and it lays down flat.

Get notified of new replies

To Correct Sealer Primer - Urethane vs Epoxy (for C1 restoration)?

Quick Reply: Correct Sealer Primer - Urethane vs Epoxy (for C1 restoration)?