C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Vintage Air work with stock power steering pump?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 04:14 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Vintage Air work with stock power steering pump?

Hello

I have the inside of my Corvette gutted out. I'm thinking after this long and wonderful summer we still have in Florida. My car would be more enjoyable with AC in the car....I might as well put it in now that the whole interior is still out of car...

I want to put in power steering that I salvaged off a lower mileage wrecked 1979 Corvette...

But looking at some of these pictures of installs especially Frankie the Fink. I thinking I might need to nix nay the power steering idea..

Seems like be too crowded in there!!! Has anyone done a vintage air install with power steering out there??

thanks
Old 10-13-2015, 05:24 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Power steering

Steve: I added both Vintage Air and power steering to my 66 small block. You are welcome to come up and take a look. I am usually in my home garage on Sat. mornings. Also, I have not forgotten about your rivets. I will dig them up tonight. Jerry
Old 10-13-2015, 09:44 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Vintage air and power steering fits just fine in a C2 engine compartment.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:55 PM
Mid Year Man
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed both in my 65 and it works great. Had to put a 3 pulley on the crank, and you will need to know if you have a short or long water pump. Best time to do it while you have interior apart as you will need to put a smaller glove box liner and pull the controls out to wire in the new unit under glove box.

One of the best upgrade items Idid, works really well! Make sure you have either the 7 blade Standard (available from vendors) fan or add an electric fan and alternator will need to be higher amps than stock.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:31 AM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Thanks for your responses!!

Hello

Thanks for all the responses. Tampa Jerry I appreciate your offer to let me see your setup! Thanks for sending the rivets. I will at least pay for your shipping and handling!! Thanks again!

I bought a correct crankshaft double pulley and the correct third pulley one what interlocks with double pulley. This all stock and correct for a 1963 Corvette. I replaced the power steering pump with a "correct" 1963-68 version.

I also have a short water pump neck. I was worried that once you move the alternator driverside there would be and issue with the alternator belt rubbing against power steering pump, bracket, or belt.

I would like to see a pictures. Thanks for your help!!

Guys what's the best vendor to buy a vintage air setup from?? Midyear do I tell the company I order the air setup from that I have a short neck water pump??

Pete
Old 10-18-2015, 09:55 AM
64365coupe
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk63Vette
Hello

Thanks for all the responses. Tampa Jerry I appreciate your offer to let me see your setup! Thanks for sending the rivets. I will at least pay for your shipping and handling!! Thanks again!

I bought a correct crankshaft double pulley and the correct third pulley one what interlocks with double pulley. This all stock and correct for a 1963 Corvette. I replaced the power steering pump with a "correct" 1963-68 version.

I also have a short water pump neck. I was worried that once you move the alternator driverside there would be and issue with the alternator belt rubbing against power steering pump, bracket, or belt.

I would like to see a pictures. Thanks for your help!!

Guys what's the best vendor to buy a vintage air setup from?? Midyear do I tell the company I order the air setup from that I have a short neck water pump??

Pete
Mark Pierson from godspeed rides on deacon in Sarasota has the best prices and service for sure. I just installed a 67 mustang system from him and a 78 Toyota landcruiser system both worked great ! I like the vintage air systems over others. Have installed probobly 25 of them.

Get notified of new replies

To Vintage Air work with stock power steering pump?

Quick Reply: Vintage Air work with stock power steering pump?