C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What is it worth

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 10:32 AM
idcwmidi
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default What is it worth

I went over to borrow a power washer from the brother of a friend of mine. When I got there, I found this 1966 Vette. He has been storing for a guy. I only had about 5 minutes to look at it, but took the below photos.
I real quick view did not show any major corrosion.
I was told that the owners are going through a nasty divorce and want to sell the car.
The intake manifold had 3866948, which comes up as 427 / 390 oval port heads. the date on it was 24JUN66.
The engine casting I read as 3859942 (which I am sure is 3869942). That comes up as 1966 or 1967 427 with either 390 or 425HP.
The engine pad I took T070IIL with "IL" is 1966 Corvette 427 / 390. On the pad is also 64xxxxx where the xxxxx is the last five numbers of the VIN.
I realize that the car needs EVERYTHING, but how often do you find a numbers matching BB vette.

There is no hard top and I do not think that there is a soft top.

I have a couple questions:
1) What does the 64 before the last five numbers of the VIN mean on the pad stamping.
2) What would be a fair price on this car?
3) What would it cost to replace the hard and soft tops?

Front View

Engine

Frame in front of pass rear wheel looking up

Frame in front of pass rear wheel

Frame in front of drivers rear wheel

Parts inside car

Damaged rear quarter panel

Pass side

Steering wheel

Last edited by idcwmidi; 11-07-2015 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:48 AM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"I realize that the car needs EVERYTHING. . ."

I nominate that for the understatement of the year. LOL Interesting barn find, but man is that is sad shape. The way I see it, here's how I'd figure what it's worth:

(1) Take the value of a '66 427 numbers matching (assuming they really do) car in good driver condition.
(2) Next, figure out how much money it's going to cost you to get that car to good driver condition.
(3) Subtract (2) from (1) and that's what that car is worth as it sits.

If I had to guess, the cost of (2) probably exceeds the value of (1), just based on the pictures you posted, unless you are planning on doing all or most of the work yourself and you want to do it as a labor of love. And if you are talking about doing a true nuts and bolts, 100 point concours restoration, double or triple (2).
Old 11-07-2015, 10:54 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

Well said!

Very cool find, but in reality, the cost to restore a car in this condition usually exceeds the ending value.

But.....if you were to get it for the right price!!!
Old 11-07-2015, 11:12 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter
"I realize that the car needs EVERYTHING. . ."

I nominate that for the understatement of the year. LOL Interesting barn find, but man is that is sad shape. The way I see it, here's how I'd figure what it's worth:

(1) Take the value of a '66 427 numbers matching (assuming they really do) car in good driver condition.
(2) Next, figure out how much money it's going to cost you to get that car to good driver condition.
(3) Subtract (2) from (1) and that's what that car is worth as it sits.

If I had to guess, the cost of (2) probably exceeds the value of (1), just based on the pictures you posted, unless you are planning on doing all or most of the work yourself and you want to do it as a labor of love. And if you are talking about doing a true nuts and bolts, 100 point concours restoration, double or triple (2).
I see at least $100k worth of work needed in that car. Unless you want to do it yourself and make it a labor of love with essentially zero return on your time, stay away.

As for the 64xxxxx, the "6" is the model year, and the last SIX (not five) digits are from the VIN. Are you sure that "4" isn't really a 1?
Old 11-07-2015, 11:18 AM
idcwmidi
Instructor

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
I see at least $100k worth of work needed in that car. Unless you want to do it yourself and make it a labor of love with essentially zero return on your time, stay away.

As for the 64xxxxx, the "6" is the model year, and the last SIX (not five) digits are from the VIN. Are you sure that "4" isn't really a 1?
I went back and looked at the photos I took and I think that the "4" actually is a "1".

My buddy and I would do all the mechanical and interior, but would have to have the body work, paint and chrome sent out.

Normally I would not even consider doing a car in this condition, but if it is truly a numbers matching BB, I thought that it might be worth looking into.

Last edited by idcwmidi; 11-07-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:22 AM
After38Years
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Having just paid for a complete restoration on a C2 (for a numbers matching car that had all the parts) it would have made no dollar sense if I had not already owned and paid for the car 40+ years ago. The missing pieces can be amazingly expensive to replace. The subject car also looks like the owner was not careful in trying to preserve the parts that are off the car...

Last edited by After38Years; 11-07-2015 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:24 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

The bad news is that this cars needs pretty much everything. The good news is that, subject to verification, it might be worth owning when finished. The bad news is that there is no way that car could be restored on a paying basis for it's retail value. The good news is that a couple going through divorce may just need it gone.

Go through it 100%, post the VIN and trim tags here, along with more frame and detail pictures (read: birdcage), try to figure out if the body is mostly original, and whether all the parts are there. Figure out that a set of bumpers is >$2K, a paint job is $5-15k, a soft top with everything (assuming it has the soft top frame) is over $1K with everything, a good hard top is >$2K, a big block rebuild is $$$, a complete interior can be >$5K, etc, etc. Does it come with a clear title?

I don't think that there is any way this would ever be more than a driver, at best, or a shell for a restomod. No way to make this a NCRS type car for rational money.

I hate to see mid years get to this condition.

Last edited by Easy Rhino; 11-07-2015 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:42 AM
Boyan
Drifting

Received 466 Likes on 294 Posts

Default 66

Alright, I will play. $25,000 assuming no rust in any of the standard places, original motor and if it has all its original body panels and most of its major parts.

I agree its a ton of work and you will be in it way more than its worth at the end.

To me, I see no issues except time and money for an NCRS type restoration.....mine has only been a short 13 yrs.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:44 AM
Boyan
Drifting

Received 466 Likes on 294 Posts

Default 66

Oh and deduct $3500 if there are active bees in the honeycomb of the frame....I hate those things!
Old 11-07-2015, 11:44 AM
idcwmidi
Instructor

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
The bad news is that this cars needs pretty much everything. The good news is that, subject to verification, it might be worth owning when finished. The bad news is that there is no way that car could be restored on a paying basis for it's retail value. The good news is that a couple going through divorce may just need it gone.

Go through it 100%, post the VIN and trim tags here, along with more frame and detail pictures (read: birdcage), try to figure out if the body is mostly original, and whether all the parts are there. Figure out that a set of bumpers is >$2K, a paint job is $5-15k, a soft top with everything (assuming it has the soft top frame) is over $1K with everything, a good hard top is >$2K, a big block rebuild is $$$, a complete interior can be >$5K, etc, etc. Does it come with a clear title?

I don't think that there is any way this would ever be more than a driver, at best, or a shell for a restomod. No way to make this a NCRS type car for rational money.

I hate to see mid years get to this condition.

If I give any serious thought to pursuing this, I will post the VIN and a lot better photos. The person I was with asked me to not post any real identifying data about the car. As It is not my car, and the owners were not there, I did not want to touch or move anything outside of wiping the engine pad with a damp rag. I told the guy that before I did anything I would want the car to either be raised so I could crawl under it or have it lifted on a rack. I would also want to lay the parts out to see what is there and what is missing. This would also give me access to looking up under the dash. It has been on a dirt floor for the last two years, but before that I do not know how it was stored.

There is a clear title, but both people have to sign off on the sale as the car is in both their names.

Last edited by idcwmidi; 11-07-2015 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Add info about title
Old 11-07-2015, 11:51 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by idcwmidi
If I give any serious thought to pursuing this, I will post the VIN and a lot better photos. The person I was with asked me to not post any real identifying data about the car. As It is not my car, and the owners were not there, I did not want to touch or move anything outside of wiping the engine pad with a damp rag. I told the guy that before I did anything I would want the car to either be raised so I could crawl under it or have it lifted on a rack. I would also want to lay the parts out to see what is there and what is missing. This would also give me access to looking up under the dash. It has been on a dirt floor for the last two years, but before that I do not know how it was stored.

There is a clear title, but both people have to sign off on the sale as the car is in both their names.
Smart. Good luck. I'm a sucker for lost causes, love old cars needing attention, and hate to see a mid-year in this condition, but you gotta be wise with your resources.

I do not agree with the $25K estimate above. I would be into this car for no more than $10K, and that's a hip shot based on too little information.

Looks like it was probably built as a red/black big block car - so it's got that going for it.

Last edited by Easy Rhino; 11-07-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:10 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

You must make a full parts inventory to make an offer.

If EVERYTHING is there sans the top, it will obviously be worth more than if you need to buy a bunch of stuff.

If you do your own work except for final body prep and paint and IF everything is there , I would expect an additional investment of perhaps less than $50K*. That $50K would cover painting, motor and trans rebuild, brakes and driveline, rechrome and polish and chrome stainless, interior, dash restoration, suspension parts, etc, etc. Tops may add to that.

* you can get a show quality paint job for less than $8-$10K if you know where to go, you don't have to pay $25K like some guys charge.

Doug
Old 11-07-2015, 12:20 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

PS: That $50K includes paying some else to rebuild the motor and trans and rear diff. By own work, i mean reassembly, putting in new wiring, installing the interior, etc.

Though, it would be bummer find that the block is freeze cracked in the lifter valley or some other place, if it is the original block.

A car like this falls under the "hobby" category, not an investment.

Doug

Last edited by AZDoug; 11-07-2015 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:23 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

And obviously a rusty birdcage would adds lots of $$ for body break apart and reassembly if you can't do it yourself, plus cost of the cage.

Doug
Old 11-07-2015, 12:24 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Let's back into the numbers.

You can't have this car restored for $100,000. We're looking at a $150,000 bill here for a quality restoration. An NCRS restoration might be even more.

Let's say you end up with a Hagerty #2 car.

A #2 Corvette with this drive train is right around $100,000. In other words if they give you the car for free you might break even.

The more realistic case here is you'll lose $25,000 restoring this car. Actually you'll probably lose more than that if you do a proper restoration.

Richard Newton
Winter Storage Ideas
Old 11-07-2015, 06:44 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by rfn026
Let's back into the numbers.

You can't have this car restored for $100,000. We're looking at a $150,000 bill here for a quality restoration. An NCRS restoration might be even more.

Let's say you end up with a Hagerty #2 car.

A #2 Corvette with this drive train is right around $100,000. In other words if they give you the car for free you might break even.

The more realistic case here is you'll lose $25,000 restoring this car. Actually you'll probably lose more than that if you do a proper restoration.

Richard Newton
Winter Storage Ideas
That's only if you pay a shop to do all the work. I know you can restore a BB for under 50k. I just helped my dad do it in the last 4 years.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:36 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,326 Likes on 2,774 Posts

Is there an asking price? Are they soliciting "offers", AKA having you appraise the car for them?

It's all subject to verification and inventory of course, but I'd be focused on buying it for as little as possible. And I'd love to see a couple guys take their time and restore it rather than see another car be restomodded and gone forever.

Get notified of new replies

To What is it worth

Old 11-07-2015, 10:47 PM
idcwmidi
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
Is there an asking price? Are they soliciting "offers", AKA having you appraise the car for them?

It's all subject to verification and inventory of course, but I'd be focused on buying it for as little as possible. And I'd love to see a couple guys take their time and restore it rather than see another car be restomodded and gone forever.
Right now I am waiting to talk to the guy who owns the shed that the car is stored in as he can give me a better story on the car history and also get permission from the owners to complete a better inspection and get an idea if this is even a possibility or if the owners was too much money to even consider going further.

Last edited by idcwmidi; 11-08-2015 at 12:36 AM.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:05 PM
nutt
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 71 Posts

No value at all if you want to restore it and join all the others sitting idle in their life size trophy case.
Around $15-$20k if you want to have some fun with a C2 and the bonus of retaining the born with parts is priceless.
I see the same mentality with the chevelle crowd, too much emphasis on monetary value and 0 value on what brings us here, the love of vintage muscle.
You have to ask yourself....do you want a pristine C2 that depreciates with every driven mile, or do want to enjoy the ride and get that beauty sideways every chance you get?
Old 11-08-2015, 12:41 AM
idcwmidi
Instructor

Originally Posted by nutt
No value at all if you want to restore it and join all the others sitting idle in their life size trophy case.
Around $15-$20k if you want to have some fun with a C2 and the bonus of retaining the born with parts is priceless.
I see the same mentality with the chevelle crowd, too much emphasis on monetary value and 0 value on what brings us here, the love of vintage muscle.
You have to ask yourself....do you want a pristine C2 that depreciates with every driven mile, or do want to enjoy the ride and get that beauty sideways every chance you get?
Right now I think that I would complete a frame off restoration, but not go so crazy with the restoration that I am afraid to take it out for a ride and enjoy it. I also agree that these cars are made to drive and enjoy and not sit in a garage covered all the time except when they are loaded into a trailer for a show.

Quick Reply: What is it worth