C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Headlight bucket repair

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 10:05 PM
Darryl Dodd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight bucket repair

Is there a source or supplier that sells repair parts for 64-67 buckets? The mount post and bulb adjuster post?
Attached Images  
Old 12-24-2015, 10:09 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Long Island Corvette sells the many small parts you might need. The repair of the broken post might be done with JB Weld. Others here may have experience with this product. Dennis
Old 12-25-2015, 10:28 AM
Darryl Dodd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Merry Christmas Dennis and everyone else.

Metal pieces that are broke off are missing (gone) so I have nothing to JB weld back on. I was hoping someone sold repair pieces. The small parts I did get from L.I. Outside of buckets look fine so I'd like to try and save them.

Last edited by Darryl Dodd; 12-25-2015 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-25-2015, 10:34 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Short answer - no.
It's part of a casting, no one will have it.

The only way to fix both is to TIG weld and that's if you have the broken off adjuster. You would have to find someone who is very good with a TIG.

And it may cost almost as much as a new bucket.

LIC does have every part for the headlights even the buckets ($230).
So do some of the other vendors.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:01 AM
OC-1
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

Depending on how much you enjoy messing around with cars.....you can take a plaster cast of the good parts, melt in some 'metal' door handles..white metal. dril and tap the holes and glue in with JB weld.Non moving parts not a problem.

Also t is easy enough to drill and tap a side tab extention to the meaty section left of the tab.

Replaced a missing part toa piezxometer ring on a FI unit way back when, pinned it and it is still going strong.

Repaired a engine case for a woodchipper that threw a rod with JB weld....and surprise it has held up.

JB weld is a miracle drug.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:29 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

DD, now that I know the whole story, your course of least resistance is find a used one. Dennis
Old 12-26-2015, 03:23 PM
XLR8OR
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The headlight buckets are made of "pot metal" and trying to make repairs to them is problematic at best. Considering the difficulty involved in removal/installation, you're better off replacing them.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:37 PM
quahog
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Darryl Dodd
Is there a source or supplier that sells repair parts for 64-67 buckets? The mount post and bulb adjuster post?
As far as fixing the ear (upper right arrow) I got a small piece of aluminum shaped it with a file to approximate the shape of the missing piece and JB welded it in place . I think this will work fine as the part doesn't see a lot of tension it just holds the corner of the headlight face. I reassembled the unit and all seems fine won't really know until I reassemble the entire car . Hope this helps Jeff
Old 12-27-2015, 11:42 AM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 735 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by quahog
As far as fixing the ear (upper right arrow) I got a small piece of aluminum shaped it with a file to approximate the shape of the missing piece and JB welded it in place . I think this will work fine as the part doesn't see a lot of tension it just holds the corner of the headlight face. I reassembled the unit and all seems fine won't really know until I reassemble the entire car . Hope this helps Jeff
Darryl,
What quahog suggests for the repair of the top tab is indeed a "functional" repair. Both of the tabs on the driver-side bucket of our '65 turned out to be "fixed" that way. They hold the bezel screws OK and the repair does not show once the bezels are in place.

WARNING: BUBBA ALERT follows:

I have attached a PDF with a suggestion as to how you might repair (reconstruct) the broken lower tab. I have never done this so I'm just throwing it out as a possible fix that might work. As quahog said above, there is not much stress on these parts unless you go overboard on tightening the bezel screws.

It's probably worth a try unless your budget allows replacing the bucket(s) with used or repro parts.

Good luck and let us know if you give it a try and it works.

Dave Z
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Broken headlight bucket tabs.pdf (304.0 KB, 223 views)
Old 12-27-2015, 11:47 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Find someone or someone at a JC or University that has a 3D printer...See if they can 'build one'...

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight bucket repair

Quick Reply: Headlight bucket repair