C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'63 battery tray acid clean up

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 08:23 PM
FLNGOOD
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default '63 battery tray acid clean up

I looked for a previous thread on this subject but couldn't come up with anything. I find this surprising as it seems it would be a common problem given the location of the battery and the royal pain in the butt to maintain. So needless to say I'm starting a new thread. What is the best way to remove battery acid from its tray? A small portion of the tray has completely disintegrated. The rest of the tray seems to be solid as well as the hold down rods and connections. Parts of the tray has battery acid built up which I want to remove. Any thoughts on the best way to accomplish this? After cleaning it any suggestion on what to use for painting. Does applying grease do any good to prevent reoccurring corrosion?
Old 01-16-2016, 08:29 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 829 Likes on 573 Posts

baking soda and water...

put some water on/in the tray and sprinkle on the baking soda..let bubble then wire brush....rinse with water.....repeat if necessary....
Old 01-16-2016, 08:30 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by FLNGOOD
A small portion of the tray has completely disintegrated.
Replace the tray with a new one, a simple bolt in procedure. If you want to use a lead/acid battery, get an acid absorbent mat to put under the battery. Otherwise get an AGM battery and your worries are over.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:34 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by 1snake
Replace the tray with a new one, a simple bolt in procedure. If you want to use a lead/acid battery, get an acid absorbent mat to put under the battery. Otherwise get an AGM battery and your worries are over.
I found this "secret" out years ago and never looked back.

If the holes in the frame are stripped or oversized due to rust, etc. use a "threadsert" to make a new thread. This should last forever. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/afs-39314

Larry

Last edited by Powershift; 01-16-2016 at 08:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bigearl56 (01-17-2016)
Old 01-16-2016, 09:59 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

I agree with Snake and Powershift, replace the tray, make life easy.
Rick
Old 01-17-2016, 02:32 AM
FLNGOOD
Advanced

Originally Posted by ricks327
I agree with Snake and Powershift, replace the tray, make life easy.
Rick
I would replace it in a heartbeat, but I don't think it's that easy. I believe the tray is welded to the frame. At least on this one it is. Thanks for your input guys.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:07 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

I would replace it in a heartbeat, but I don't think it's that easy. I believe the tray is welded to the frame. At least on this one it is. Thanks for your input guys.
It should be bolted in, not welded.

If yours is welded, somebody has modified it.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:17 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Like Chuck, I have a '63 - the trays are bolted in. Don't waste your time trying to bring yours back to life....get a new one. Batteries are heavy and if parts of the tray have disintegrated as you say in your first post, you could have a small disaster waiting to happen if you continue to use it.

https://www.paragoncorvette.com/p-34...tery-tray.aspx

If its welded in and you feel compelled to save it then the baking soda and water neutralization works well...keep applying the solution until all the fizzing stops. Rinse thoroughly with water, dry it then paint.

Then if you still use a lead-acid battery coat the terminals with petroleum jelly after installing it. The acid absorbing mat mentioned above is highly recommended.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 01-17-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:37 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

A small portion of the tray has completely disintegrated. The rest of the tray seems to be solid as well as the hold down rods and connections. Parts of the tray has battery acid built up which I want to remove. Any thoughts on the best way to accomplish this? After cleaning it any suggestion on what to use for painting.
Originally Posted by 66jack
baking soda and water...

put some water on/in the tray and sprinkle on the baking soda..let bubble then wire brush....rinse with water.....repeat if necessary....

You can put the water/baking soda in a spray bottle to apply the mixture top and bottom and then spray it on, following Jack's method. Let the metal dry thoroughly and then shoot some rust resistant paint on it. If your battery isn't very old or hasn't been mistreated, your charging system may be overcharging the battery causing the acid to boil out of the battery. Have it checked or check it yourself.

If you tray is welded to the frame, the threads in the frame may be stripped. I wouldn't go through the hassle of replacing the tray as long as the tray and hold down was still solid. $50 for a new one. Your call.

If you decide to replace the tray, an air chisel to cut the welds is your friend.

Last edited by MikeM; 01-17-2016 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:29 PM
FLNGOOD
Advanced

Originally Posted by MikeM
You can put the water/baking soda in a spray bottle to apply the mixture top and bottom and then spray it on, following Jack's method. Let the metal dry thoroughly and then shoot some rust resistant paint on it. If your battery isn't very old or hasn't been mistreated, your charging system may be overcharging the battery causing the acid to boil out of the battery. Have it checked or check it yourself.

If you tray is welded to the frame, the threads in the frame may be stripped. I wouldn't go through the hassle of replacing the tray as long as the tray and hold down was still solid. $50 for a new one. Your call.

If you decide to replace the tray, an air chisel to cut the welds is your friend.
My bad guys. It is bolted in. I hadn't bothered to crawl under and take a look. What a relief to be able to install a new one. No more corrosion hassles. My visual from up top and feeling around with my hands made me think it was welded. Thanks for your response.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:28 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by 1snake
yup! I did this 30+ years ago on my "67 - zero problems ever since!
Old 01-21-2016, 11:25 AM
0POR-15
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you remove the paint from the new battery tray, clean and prep it, then apply two coats of POR-15 Rust Preventive Coating, it will never rust again and will not be affected by battery acid.

Get notified of new replies

To '63 battery tray acid clean up

Quick Reply: '63 battery tray acid clean up