C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Different paint color under the gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 09:51 PM
BugFreak
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different paint color under the gas tank

I'm in the process of rebuilding my father's 62 and the time has come to rebuild the fuel system. I pulled the tank today to replace it with a new one and noticed that it was black under the tank while the rest of the car is red. I know this car was repainted at some point in the past so I have been trying to find the original color. So far I have removed the seats but unfortunately the crayon marking was painted over so I have been trying to find spots they might have missed during repaint. Is this one showing the car was originally black?

If not, does anyone have any ideas on usual spots missed in a repaint that I might find the original color?
Old 01-24-2016, 10:12 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

I'm just guessing here on this, but, why would they paint under the tank, that would be a waste of $$$
The following users liked this post:
BugFreak (01-25-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 12:31 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Absolutely, the tank compartment was not painted at the factory.

Lots of little hidden areas in the trunk and behind the door pillars that seldom get completely painted an re-sprays. That being said, a properly prepared body body off paint job, will show no remnants of the original color.

Regards, John McGraw
The following users liked this post:
BugFreak (01-25-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 05:04 PM
BugFreak
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies.

That's been my problem. While the repaint is showing it's age it was a good repaint from what I can tell. So far I can't find any definitive proof of the original color. The odd part is the hardware replacement (missing/wrong bolts, seals, etc) is so-so but the paint seems like a quality job from years back.

Another question: The black seats are showing red through them in some spots like the edges and on a small crack. Is this normal or could they have been dyed long ago?

Last edited by BugFreak; 01-25-2016 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:56 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Originally Posted by BugFreak
Thanks for the replies.

Another question: The black seats are showing red through them in some spots like the edges and on a small crack. Is this normal or could they have been dyed long ago?
I would say the seats have been dyed in the past. Factory soft vinyl is was not and still isn't typically dyed by manufacturers or suppliers. Hard vinyl, yes on some cars, but not soft vinyl.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:52 AM
Tearloch
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the replies.

That's been my problem. While the repaint is showing it's age it was a good repaint from what I can tell. So far I can't find any definitive proof of the original color. The odd part is the hardware replacement (missing/wrong bolts, seals, etc) is so-so but the paint seems like a quality job from years back.

My seats were the same way. I knew going in my car wasn't "original" so it was no big deal. They were most likely dyed. The question then becomes were they the original seats?
Old 01-26-2016, 11:25 AM
Donald #31176
Melting Slicks

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts

Thanks for the replies.

Look in the area of the steel taillight harness cover ( under the carpet next to the door) On my 62 I found evidence of the original Fawn Beige paint there.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:57 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I could be mistaken, but I believe the body color was the whole car, including under the tank......Logically this would be true as they will not spray a small section different than the body...Like under the tank...Should have a piece of material under it also that the tank rests on
Old 01-26-2016, 01:54 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Ironcross
I could be mistaken, but I believe the body color was the whole car, including under the tank......Logically this would be true as they will not spray a small section different than the body...Like under the tank...Should have a piece of material under it also that the tank rests on
Never seen a C1 with the tank compartment painted, and I have restored a few. Every one I have seen, the compartment as well as the underside of the tank cover were bare fiberglass. Not even any primer. I believe that the tank was installed, and the cover was installed before the body was painted.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 01-26-2016, 07:35 PM
BugFreak
Intermediate

My seats were the same way. I knew going in my car wasn't "original" so it was no big deal. They were most likely dyed. The question then becomes were they the original seats?
I think they are the original seats or at least original in nature. I say that because everything has been original to this point. The driver seat had the little paper tag still on the springs but I can only see part of the numbers. Do they mean anything in regards to finding out if they match?

Never seen a C1 with the tank compartment painted, and I have restored a few. Every one I have seen, the compartment as well as the underside of the tank cover were bare fiberglass. Not even any primer. I believe that the tank was installed, and the cover was installed before the body was painted.
Interesting. That would be more support that it was repainted at some point since mine is black under the tank. The underside of the cover is bare though. Thanks for the tail light spot Donald, I'll check there.

At this point I guess it will be a red on red car when I finish unless I find another color somewhere.

Last edited by BugFreak; 01-26-2016 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:40 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

I think they are the original seats or at least original in nature. I say that because everything has been original to this point. The driver seat had the little paper tag still on the springs but I can only see part of the numbers. Do they mean anything in regards to finding out if they match?

Interesting. That would be more support that it was repainted at some point since mine is black under the tank. The underside of the cover is bare though. Thanks for the tail light spot Donald, I'll check there.

At this point I guess it will be a red on red car when I finish unless I find another color somewhere.

That is the beauty of these cars. As long as it is one of the original colors offered that year, nobody will ever know whether it is the original color!

Regards, John McGraw

Get notified of new replies

To Different paint color under the gas tank

Quick Reply: Different paint color under the gas tank