C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1957 Wiring diagram

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 03:35 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Default 1957 Wiring diagram

Does anyone have a good wiring diagram of the under dash on a 57?

My AIM is almost worthless as it is about a 5th generation copy, and the pages change right on top of the ignition switch. The laminated diagram that LL sent with their harness is useless as well, as the ignition switch is nothing but a blob with no real detail as to which wires land on which terminals. The 3 wire plug is pretty obvious, but the Bat and Acc positions, not so much. The ignition switch is the only area where I need help.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 02-08-2016, 05:50 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 736 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by John McGraw

My AIM is almost worthless as it is about a 5th generation copy, and the pages change right on top of the ignition switch. The laminated diagram that LL sent with their harness is useless as well, as the ignition switch is nothing but a blob with no real detail as to which wires land on which terminals. The 3 wire plug is pretty obvious, but the Bat and Acc positions, not so much. The ignition switch is the only area where I need help.

Regards, John McGraw
John
Attached is a PDF for '57 that I believe came from papwanna. Don't know if it has the detail you need. Hope so.

Dave Z
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Chevy_Corvette_1957[1].pdf (2.51 MB, 558 views)
Old 02-08-2016, 07:25 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Regards, John McGraw
John -

Below is a photo of a '57 ignition switch, showing the wire colors and connections.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
Drew1Down (08-10-2021)
Old 02-08-2016, 08:57 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

Speaking of wiring diagrams, this site has all the Chevrolet diagrams from 1957 to 1965:

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/t...roletindex.htm

Also quite a few non Chevrolet diagrams here:

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/m...ing/index.html
Old 02-08-2016, 10:16 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Thanks guys, just what I needed!

Regards, John McGraw
Old 02-09-2016, 09:31 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Thanks guys, just what I needed!

Regards, John McGraw
John-

I'm going to try to mail you a perfect copy of the Aim.. It's a first run copy and the quality is amazing.

Ernie
Old 02-09-2016, 11:17 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
John-

I'm going to try to mail you a perfect copy of the Aim.. It's a first run copy and the quality is amazing.

Ernie
Ernie,

You are a true gentleman!

Regards, John McGraw
Old 05-14-2016, 10:31 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Regards, John McGraw
I know this was discussed back in February but I just found it when I was going to ask the same question and did a search first. The printings that are in the AIM are worthless because all of them look like they were low on ink , so I ordered the laminated reprint of the factory wiring diagram made by Lectric Limited and as you said most of the wires going to critical areas like the ignition just turn into a useless blob. So many thanks to everyone that commented and attached the links for the perfect diagrams.
Old 02-28-2020, 02:19 PM
KrisKringle
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Wiring for heater...working under the dash is So MUCH FUN!

Hello all, I have moved on from the engine compartment, and am now experiencing the joy of cramming myself under the dash. I realise this is an old thread, but it appears to be the only one close to what I am working on.
Well, I have been working on the US Cars here in Germany for a "few" years, and there is very little that can surprise me anymore. A big thanks for the post with a legible wiring diagram. Unfortunately, there is nothing about the circuit for the blower motor. Or radio for that matter.
I guess I need to run a wire from the accessory fuse block to the switch, and from the switch to the blower. The good news is that the accessory fuse block is still in the car, the bad news is that nothing is connected to it either (please reference the attached photos).
The other thing is the radio. there is an inline fuse to the radio, but there was no fuse in the holder. I am interested to see what happens when I put a fuse in the holder.

Like many wires under the dash, this one is hanging out with nowhere to go.

Another hanging wire. This one is the Black/white that should be grounded at the light switch

I found the Accessory fuse block. Unfortunately nothing is connected except the constant plus that not only is in the wrong place, but from what I understand does not serve any function if correctly installed on the upper left connection.

In searching for the Accessory fuse block, I found these mystery wires. They go to the power antenna. I need to ask the customer if he wants a separate switch, or if I should wire it into the accessory circuit.

Yep, more wires hanging out. High-beam, and left and right signal indicators to be exact.

I do not think this yellow wire should be here.

Ah, the radio. No fuse in the fuse holder. I still have not checked if there is power in the wire.

When I removed the radio, I noticed the brown wire pinched in the case. With a closer look...

It was the wire for the light. Since the Wunderbar radio does not have a remote out, it might be an option to tap into this for the electric antenna.

jeez...this is going to be torture since I refuse to use solderless connectors. Only butt-solder and shrink tubing on my work.

The first repaired lamp holder. Unfortunately, it should have a dark-blue wire since it is for the RH turn signal..
Old 02-28-2020, 02:55 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Please don’t respond to a post from 2016 to add info on your project.

Please start a new thread.
The following users liked this post:
KrisKringle (02-28-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To 1957 Wiring diagram

Quick Reply: 1957 Wiring diagram