C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Kill switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 06:35 AM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 929 Likes on 531 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Now that I have confidence in my car and would like to take it on long, overnight trips. So my biggest worry is hotel security. I can ask to park as close to the front as possible under a light, use a car cover. Don't go to the cheap hotels like Motel 6. Any other ideas?
Old 05-29-2017, 07:40 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I often ask to park right in front of the lobby where a clerk can see it and more often than you might think they allow it... I don't think a car cover provides any theft protection.... I can spot a C2 Corvette under a car cover about 95% of the time... The next best thing is to park it dead in front of your room where you can see it. But then Bubba can roll in a little tipsy that night in his dualie and bang the snot out of your doors..

Certain amount of risk no matter what you do..
Old 05-29-2017, 07:56 AM
Jam421
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 58 Posts

Ignition kill toggle switch is best without current...interrupt negative (-) side of the coil.
Not sure how effective these days but easy install . With yours hidden away somewhere 1-2 mock switches easily detected with wires crimped behind something makes for a time consuming deterrence. If they yank it out it appears to have been connected. Hopefully
they start cursing out loud .....by then the dog's barking .....you're rackin a round ! !!

Last edited by Jam421; 05-29-2017 at 07:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ptjsk (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 07:58 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by 59BlueSilver
Now that I have confidence in my car and would like to take it on long, overnight trips. So my biggest worry is hotel security. I can ask to park as close to the front as possible under a light, use a car cover. Don't go to the cheap hotels like Motel 6. Any other ideas?
This is a wireless motion detector transmitter and receiver I use when I park my car to go into a restaurant and such.

Put the black box down in the footwell on the driver side and take the receiver into your motel room. You'll get an alert from the receiver if anyone gets in your car or even reaches into the car from the outside.

As I recall, I think it has a range of about 300 feet.

Steve
Old 05-29-2017, 09:49 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

$15 at Harbor Freight; if it works as good as the plugin version, it's all you need....

https://manuals.harborfreight.com/ma...3999/93068.pdf

and 25% off today only with coupon available online

Bill
Attached Images  

Last edited by wmf62; 05-29-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:19 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

Originally Posted by RatDog
This is a wireless motion detector transmitter and receiver I use when I park my car to go into a restaurant and such.

Put the black box down in the footwell on the driver side and take the receiver into your motel room. You'll get an alert from the receiver if anyone gets in your car or even reaches into the car from the outside.

As I recall, I think it has a range of about 300 feet.

Steve
I'm going to have to look into this.

I have looked at the several baby monitors that are out there.

Very few of them will work on a battery pack, but there are a couple.

I know my Daughters used them for my Grand-kids, and they are very sensitive.

Pat
Old 05-29-2017, 12:09 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by ptjsk
I'm going to have to look into this.

I have looked at the several baby monitors that are out there.

Very few of them will work on a battery pack, but there are a couple.

I know my Daughters used them for my Grand-kids, and they are very sensitive.

Pat
Pat
the Dakota Alert does not carry 'sound' like a baby monitor, it's just a motion detector; and that's all you need...

just went to harbor Freight (bored...) and bought the one I posted... $11.91 with 25% discount...

Bill
The following users liked this post:
ptjsk (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 12:10 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wmf62
$15 at Harbor Freight; if it works as good as the plugin version, it's all you need....

https://manuals.harborfreight.com/ma...3999/93068.pdf

and 25% off today only with coupon available online

Bill
Yes, that will work. I have one of those that I forgot all about.

Steve
Old 05-29-2017, 12:12 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Yes, that will work. I have one of those that I forgot all about.

Steve
sadly, it's not as pretty as yours, BUT it is cheaper....

Bill
Old 05-29-2017, 12:24 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

sadly, it's not as pretty as yours, BUT it is cheaper....

Bill
Cheaper for sure. Mine was over $100. The only advantage I can see to mine is the receiver is smaller, about the size of a Tic Tac box. Still not worth the additional cost in my opinion.

Steve
Old 05-29-2017, 09:51 PM
William Buckley
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 48 Posts
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

I've got a Ravelco system wired in at eight different spots in my electrical system with a dash plug that connects to my key ring. Without the dash plug inserted, a good mechanic still cannot start the car. They may roll in onto a car carrier, but they will not drive it away.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:38 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

So basically we are looking at two approaches to this issue.

One is to disable the capability of the vehicle to run (kill switch, fuel shutoff, etc.)

The other is to alert the owner if someone disturbs the car (motion detector)

Option three is the big azz chain. My dear friend, the late Dale Pearman, came up with this solution. He never lost a car as far as I know, and he had some very nice and valuable cars over the years.

We called this the logging chain solution. Kill switch unnecessary, fuel cutoff unnecessary, motion detector unnecessary. Yes, a good quality set of bolt cutters will defeat this soultion, but they better big really big, and really good bolt cutters.

I have wondered about using something like a "boot" vehicle immobilizer device. The same thing that municipalities use to keep cars from being moved. Any experience / thoughts on this.

Of course an determined thief will get the car. Our best option is a defense in depth approach that combines multiple solutions, making it so difficult that the thief moves on to the next car.

What surprises me is the number of people that have commented that they will / can leave their car in a local restaurant (or other establishment) unattended. My only questions is: "Are you absolutely sure that your insurance will pay the claim under those circumstances?"

Good discussion guys, thanks.
Attached Images  

Last edited by emccomas; 05-31-2017 at 02:41 AM.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:44 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by jv04

One is to disable the capability of the vehicle to run (kill switch, fuel shutoff, etc.)

Option three is the big azz chain. My dear friend, the late Dale Pearman, came up with this solution. He never lost a car as far as I know, and he had some very nice and valuable cars over the years.

We called this the logging chain solution. Kill switch unnecessary, fuel cutoff unnecessary, motion detector unnecessary. Yes, a good quality set of bolt cutters will defeat this soultion, but they better big really big, and really good bolt cutters.

I have wondered about using something like a "boot" vehicle immobilizer device. The same thing that municipalities use to keep cars from being moved. Any experience / thoughts on this.

Of course an determined thief will get the car. Our best option is a defense in depth approach that combines multiple solutions, making it so difficult that the thief moves on to the next car.

What surprises me is the number of people that have commented that they will / can leave their car in a local restaurant (or other establishment) unattended. My only questions is: "Are you absolutely sure that your insurance will pay the claim under those circumstances?"

when you're on a road trip to West Bumfuk it gets a bit tedious to eat and sleep in the car, so ya gotta take a break sometime... AND there is not always a tree or light post to chain to...

Bill
Old 05-31-2017, 04:59 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

when you're on a road trip to West Bumfuk it gets a bit tedious to eat and sleep in the car, so ya gotta take a break sometime... AND there is not always a tree or light post to chain to...

Bill
I hear you Bill.

Probably traveling to West Bumfuk is not something your insurance will allow? All I am saying is make sure you are covered.

It won't be the first time I have seen a car used outside of it's coverage limitations, and had a claim denied.

The most recent on was a late model damaged in an accident that had a claim filed. Then the insurance company checked UTube and found out that the car had been damaged in an accident while racing on a drag strip. Denied, insurance dropped, possible criminal charges for filing a false report. Oops!

Don't assume you are covered; MAKE DAMN SURE YOU ARE COVERED in your intended (or possibly unintended) use. And have fun!!!

Last edited by emccomas; 05-31-2017 at 05:00 AM.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:14 AM
William Buckley
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 48 Posts
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

In two weeks, I'm going to drive it to Bowling Green, tour the assembly line, and see the NCM. It will be parked in the front lit part of the motel with the Ravelco system off, so if they want it that badly, they can have it. Just hope that Hagerty will take care of me.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:23 AM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 929 Likes on 531 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I just want to make sure about this, if I run a wire from the neg. side of coil to a toggle switch, and then to ground, I'm not going to damage my Pertronix 3?
Old 05-31-2017, 07:50 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

I hear you Bill.

Probably traveling to West Bumfuk is not something your insurance will allow? All I am saying is make sure you are covered.
thanks for the thought... I have good old fashioned insurance, not collector car insurance, so i'm covered to the extent 'stupid' allows....

and, I drive wherever and whenever I want, once again as 'stupid' allows; but I try not to do stupid things...

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Kill switch

Old 05-31-2017, 08:31 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

My NCM insurance expressly allows pleasure driving. A couple of times a week, my wife and I go for a drive and usually stop at a restaurant along the way for breakfast or lunch. Maybe Adam Boca can comment on this but I don't think we're expected to cut our ride short and head for home when we're hungry.

When we stop, I try to get a table near a window where I can see my car. Just in case I'm not able to get a table with a view of my car, I also remove my Hella red key cut off and turn on my wireless motion detector.

I believe I'm satisfying all of my obligations as far as insurance requirements as well as my own personal responsibilities to protect my car.

Steve
Old 05-31-2017, 08:48 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

My NCM insurance expressly allows pleasure driving. A couple of times a week, my wife and I go for a drive and usually stop at a restaurant along the way for breakfast or lunch. Maybe Adam Boca can comment on this but I don't think we're expected to cut our ride short and head for home when we're hungry.

When we stop, I try to get a table near a window where I can see my car. Just in case I'm not able to get a table with a view of my car, I also remove my Hella red key cut off and turn on my wireless motion detector.

I believe I'm satisfying all of my obligations as far as insurance requirements as well as my own personal responsibilities to protect my car.

Steve
Steve;

I think you are OK, based on what Adam has told me as well (Adam jump in here if you are reading this).

I do know that the NCM policy specifically prohibits use of the vehicle to run errands, but user could drive it across the country to a car show. I do get the distinction.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:04 AM
Jam421
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 58 Posts

No switch on this car but years ago I'd very discreetly interrupt the (-) coil side closer to the distributor hidden in a electric tape or loom harness sistered thru a firewall grommet with other entries then to my switch . Using an insulated toggle switch when off/open - no ground to points. When on/closed ground goes thru switch to points. Engine cranks, makes noise no spark. Here's a rather expensive switch +harness which assume the same procedure although the diagram doesn't say where to locate the switch interrupt. http://www.killswitchcentral.com/old...killswitch.htm

Here's an article also briefly describing : http://www.ehow.com/how_7177441_inst...ll-switch.html

Quick Reply: Kill switch