C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Value of Restomods

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 01:24 PM
uxojerry
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Some people finally get to the $$$ point where they can afford one nice toy. Most restomods sell at a loss but the loss will not equal the depreciation of say a c6 zr1 after several years. If you can only have one toy due to garage space or $$$, it does make sense.

In general, the popularity of restos will grow because new cars are getting very expensive and very complicated. A decked out 4 x 4 pickup can be $50k plus. You can build a better 4 x 4 for less and not have as much depreciation.

15 years ago I did an 89 Surburban. I bought it for $8k did $5k in mods, and liked it better than a new one for $40k. I drove it for 5 years and sold it for $10k. Vintage cars can be good investments. Restos can be cost effective toys or transportation.

I will drive the wheels off my modded 65 coupe when it is finished. It cost as much as a zr1, but should hold more value in the long run.

Last edited by uxojerry; 02-14-2016 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:37 PM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Having said all that I will dispute the reliability factor. In 10 years with classic Corvettes and a dozen years before that in first gen Mustangs I've been towed home twice. Once when I put the oil canister on wrong in a Corvette and once when an upper control arm broke autocrossing a Mustang. If your original car is unreliable it's largely the owners fault. Remember folks our Moms and sisters drove these cars every day 50 years ago.
I'm 62 years old and have been working on cars for a living for over 45 years. Todays cars are far and away more reliable than anything built back then. Back then a car with 100,000 miles was worn out, today that's just broken in. It's not even close!

Last edited by biggd; 02-14-2016 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:20 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Sure - if you drive modern vs old cars to the limit of their serviceable life the modern car will win. In the daily driving of a well-maintained (not worn out) classic car vs a restomod I'll stick by my statement. I've jump started restomods from my original '61 and seen them towed off on a rollback at car shows while I stayed at the event the whole time and drove home without a hitch.

Modern machine tolerances, fuel injection and computers extend the life of modern cars - no argument. I sold my perfectly running Mazda pickup last year with 175,000 miles on it to get a new car and my wife's Durango just hit 180,000. I get that.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:31 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

As far as not holding their value is concerned, this 1958 sold in 2008 for $200,000 and resold at Barrett-Jackson last month for $200,000.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:40 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Randy G.
As far as not holding their value is concerned, this 1958 sold in 2008 for $200,000 and resold at Barrett-Jackson last month for $200,000.
Hmmm. I'll take the Shelby beside it instead
Old 02-14-2016, 04:44 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

History dictates the stock cars will always hold there value over time. Once these resto mods get 10-15 years old and the technology is old hat and out dated we will see I also question if the fabricated custom parts will stand the test of time. Auto manufacturers spend millions in R&D on there new parts to see when and how they will fail. I know these custom car builders don't do any of that
Old 02-14-2016, 05:44 PM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Sure - if you drive modern vs old cars to the limit of their serviceable life the modern car will win. In the daily driving of a well-maintained (not worn out) classic car vs a restomod I'll stick by my statement. I've jump started restomods from my original '61 and seen them towed off on a rollback at car shows while I stayed at the event the whole time and drove home without a hitch.

Modern machine tolerances, fuel injection and computers extend the life of modern cars - no argument. I sold my perfectly running Mazda pickup last year with 175,000 miles on it to get a new car and my wife's Durango just hit 180,000. I get that.
The biggest difference is most older owners haven't got a clue how to diagnose newer technology. You can't stick a screwdriver in the carburator to get it started.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:09 PM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
History dictates the stock cars will always hold there value over time. Once these resto mods get 10-15 years old and the technology is old hat and out dated we will see I also question if the fabricated custom parts will stand the test of time. Auto manufacturers spend millions in R&D on there new parts to see when and how they will fail. I know these custom car builders don't do any of that
The sky is falling!!!!!!! I've been listening to it for over 16 years now. I'll be dead by the time the prices start to fall on these cars.
The following 3 users liked this post by mike coletta:
bigearl56 (02-15-2016), OHSIXX (02-14-2016), ptjsk (08-15-2016)
Old 02-14-2016, 06:57 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by mike coletta
The sky is falling!!!!!!! I've been listening to it for over 16 years now. I'll be dead by the time the prices start to fall on these cars.
Maybe not on the well built car. As the cream will rise to the top. The quick put together cars maybe not. I have been wrong before
Old 02-14-2016, 07:10 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,963 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Maybe not on the well built car. As the cream will rise to the top. The quick put together cars maybe not. I have been wrong before
I'm sure you recall the Chip's Choice resto mod display at Carlisle. You know, the display that turned the hobby completely upside down when people started to realize that you could have a classic appearing car that was so far ahead of the original mechanical design everyone was used to.

The resto mod that is built on an after market frame with proper updating of drive train, suspension and braking systems. Not the 79 with a holley tbi system and headers on it.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:01 PM
Revette
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by biggd
It's all about supply and demand. There is a big demand right now so builders will supply them. Eventually when demand slows, prices will drop and it won't pay to build them anymore. You're already seeing the older resto-mods already dropping in value below the build cost.
This is my exact thought about restomod cars. It's all about supply and demand...there were only so many original Corvettes produced and as time marches on, the survivors of the original production are decreasing due to attrition...that should make the surviving original have an increasing value due to rarity. A restomod car puts new life into some plastic panels ( actually it can be a totally re-created automobile in the image of a vintage car) that suddenly has more value than the automobile in whose image it has been created. Something just doesn't seem right with that.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:40 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,963 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Originally Posted by Revette
When did the artificial Corvettes become worth more than the original? After watching the Barrett Jackson auctions I'm seeing these custom "Corvettes" that sit on after market frames with after market drive trains and custom interiors sell for, sometimes, twice the sale price of a true vintage Corvette. I don't care if it's a "fuelie" or numbers matching car, the fake Corvette is bringing a whole lot more money than the true Corvette on the auction block.

What is with that?
Progress and intelligence.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:23 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Restomod myths:

1) Original cars are destroyed.
Perhaps in some rare cases, the majority I've seen were developed from project cars with missing or NOM drivetrains. Many times these are disassembled cars from some prior owner that got in over his head.

2) You can't make money on them.
Of course you can, the money is made when you buy the project car. $25K for a project car, $80K labor/parts and you have a car worth $140K-$158K. Do your own labor and the deal gets even sweeter. BTW - restomod builders get massive discounts on nearly everything. If you can sell off the original frame/drivetrain/components you can get into the 35%-50% profit range on a car. Don't change occupations just yet though - this is ***-kicking work.

Many people that buy these cars aren't bargain hunters - they buy want they want, for what is asked, and then go back to managing their hedge fund or chain of restaurants.

3) Restomods don't hold their value.
See my post about the '62 above, over a decade old and is still well into the price range mentioned in item #2 above (prob higher). A periodic engine upgrade every 6-8 years (about $6K, maybe an interior redo at some point $5K) and an occasional electronics gizmo upgrade will keep the value up.

4) Restomods are worth less than original cars.
Unless the original car has some special race heritage or is a top-of-the-line highly desirable car the restomod will be worth more - every time. The fit, finish and appearance of a restomod over an original car can be striking. Show chrome with no factory waves, gaps massaged to perfection, NO patina anywhere. Frankly, I think the way NCRS is going they are going to make restomods a more viable option than ever.
Like Elvis, the definition of 'original' is leaving the building.

5) Restomods will lose value if you drive them much.
Also not true, ask dcaggini on here who drives his 64 a bunch.The '62 above is driven regularly too. Forum member mark6669 often drives his split window restomod an hour through Florida love bugs to Old Town. Of course, there are maintenance things you must do to any driven car. Having said that -- restomods don't have airbags, crush zones, collapsible steering columns, etc.. -- neither do original cars.

6) There is no R&D on restomods for long-term durability/reliability
I guess a case could be made for that. Most of the nicer restomods are built on rolling chassis with drivetrain/suspension/etc in an integrated frame. The manufacturers of these use off-the-shelf, well-wrung out components available on many modern cars; so the issue would be how well they are integrated. These builders are specialized in what they produce and have refined the design over years of effort.

========================================

All this refers to the high-end builds, not the ZZ4 crammed onto the original frame and with factory-quality body/brightwork. The above is based on my observing prob 20 restomods being built by various builders (and helping out on some of them) and also running alongside them on the highway every weekend.

Now, I've gotten to this point with some skepticism and chagrin as my cars have always been original and I have to swallow hard to accept the above facts.

The naysayers can pile on now and I would agree with them.

But then we'd both be wrong.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-15-2016 at 09:58 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Frankie the Fink:
BADBIRDCAGE (02-15-2016), bigearl56 (02-15-2016), Boiler_81 (02-15-2016), Loren Smith (02-15-2016), OHSIXX (02-15-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 08:20 AM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Restomod myths:

1) Original cars are destroyed.
Perhaps in some rare cases, the majority I've seen were developed from project cars with missing or NOM drivetrains. Many times these are disassembled cars from some prior owner that got in over his head.

2) You can't make money on them.
Of course you can, the money is made when you buy the project car. $25K for a project car, $80K labor/parts and you have a car worth $140K-$158K. Do your own labor and the deal gets even sweeter. BTW - restomod builders get massive discounts on nearly everything. If you can sell off the original frame/drivetrain/components you can get into the 35%-50% profit range on a car. Many people that buy these cars aren't bargain hunters - they buy want they want, for what is asked, and then go back to managing their hedge fund or chain of restaurants.

3) Restomods don't hold their value.
See my post about the '62 above, over a decade old and is still well into the price range mentioned in item #2 above (or higher). A periodic engine upgrade every 6-8 years (about $6K, maybe an interior redo at some point $5K) and an occasional electronics gizmo upgrade will keep the value up.

4) Restomods are worth less than original cars.
Unless the original car has some special race heritage or is a top-of-the-line highly desirable car the restomod will be worth more - every time. The fit, finish and appearance of a restomod over an original car can be striking. Show chrome with no factory waves, gaps massaged to perfection, NO patina anywhere. Frankly, I think the way NCRS is going they are going to make restomods a more viable option than ever.
Like Elvis, the definition of 'original' is leaving the building.

5) Restomods will lose value if you drive them much.
Also not true, ask dcaggini on here who drives his 64 a bunch.The '62 above is driven regularly too. Of course, there are maintenance things you must do to any driven car. Having said that -- restomods don't have airbags, crush zones, collapsible steering columns, etc.. -- neither do original cars.

6) There is no R&D on restomods for long-term durability/reliability
I guess a case could be made for that. Most of the nicer restomods are built on rolling chassis with drivetrain/suspension/etc in an integrated frame. The manufacturers of these use off-the-shelf, well-wrung out components available on many modern cars; so the issue would be how well they are integrated. These builders are specialized in what they produce and have refined the design over years of effort.

========================================

All this refers to the high-end builds, not the ZZ4 crammed onto the original frame and with factory-quality body/brightwork. The above is based on my observing prob 20 restomods being built by various builders (and helping out on some of them) and also running alongside them on the highway every weekend.

Now, I've gotten to this point with some skepticism and chagrin as my cars have always been original and I have to swallow hard to accept the above facts.

The naysayers can pile on now and I would agree with them. But then we'd both be wrong.
You can put any value you want on a car but the only value that counts is the price it sells for. It's only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.
I love the resto mods but some of the older ones that I've seen are selling for well below their builds cost. Although they are still nice looking cars they are now older technology. Those are the bargains that I look for.

Last edited by biggd; 02-15-2016 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:23 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by biggd
You can put any value you want on a car but the only value that counts is the price it sells for. It's only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.
Yeah - well, the market has pretty well spoken in this arena...we are talking trends here, not the outlying, one-off sales.

I have an apple I'm selling for $250,000 - I only need one buyer. Such things are statistically irrelevant.

If you're finding bargain restomods, I would submit they are not the high-end builds or else haven't been kept current with some minimal upgrades...examples are welcome.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-15-2016 at 08:31 AM.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:34 PM
dcaggiani
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 84 Posts

I have seen the ads for the so called "bargain" RestoMods in the $70-90k range. what you will see upon closer scrutiny is that they are NOT the higher end builds that demand the $150k plus money. That does not mean they are not bargains - just a different class that would make a great weekend driver.

More times than not, it is the craftsmanship that lowers the overall value. An engine or transmission or even suspension can be changed at a "reasonable" cost, but craftsmanship on door gaps, body and paint, interior finishing and so on - is very expensive to address. In other cases, it is simply that the Restomod does not have it all as described below.

The high end RestoMods that command the big bucks do have it all:
1. Newly engineered chassis with late model suspension and brakes (c5-7)
2. Electronic Fuel injection engine (typically LS) coupled to a modern transmission (5 or 6spd manual or automatic)
3. Top level craftsmanship for body/paint/interior/electronics and so on.

All things being equal above, a Restomod with the LS9 or newer will command more money than the LS3 but it does not necessarily indicate a huge depreciation for the LS3 Restomod over the LS9 in my simple example.

I have a 64 Restomod with an aftermarket chassis, LS3, 5-speed Tremec, and all the bells and whistles that I had completed over 3 years ago. Based on what I have seen with recent sales, the value has held if not appreciated a little.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:15 PM
Revette
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 78 Posts

Since this seems to have evolved to a discussion on restomods, there is one question I have about them and that would be, how much to insure?

When I worked in Harley sales at a local dealership we used to build custom bikes that would be the equivalent of a Corvette restomod. The bikes were built with custom frames (purchased from a company specializing in that item with serial number), utilizing big cu in engines that we either built or purchased from a company specializing in that item, and finally we would either fabricate or purchase whatever sheet metal components required. The bikes were beautiful, well-engineered machines but, due to the fact they were not produced by an OEM, the cost to insure them would triple the amount a customer would pay for insurance. Our shop got out of building custom bikes around 2007 or so mainly because of the difficulties involved with selling the finished machines as a result of insurance issues.

Get notified of new replies

To Value of Restomods

Old 02-15-2016, 03:38 PM
dcaggiani
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Revette
Since this seems to have evolved to a discussion on restomods, there is one question I have about them and that would be, how much to insure?
I recently worked with Hagerty's regarding my 1955 Nomad RestoMod. By providing them with a detailed spreadsheet with the descriptions and pricing of all the parts and labor along with photographs of the vehicle, the insurance company agreed to a stated amount. The Insurance company knows that I have a receipt for everything as well.

Just remember, the premium is based on the $ amount of the stated value therefore, the higher the value, the higher your premium.

In the case with my Corvette and Nomad, both have original VIN numbers and are Titled as such..... In other words, they are not "specialty built vehicles" under the definition provided by the State where I reside.

Last edited by dcaggiani; 02-15-2016 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:49 PM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by dcaggiani
I have seen the ads for the so called "bargain" RestoMods in the $70-90k range. what you will see upon closer scrutiny is that they are NOT the higher end builds that demand the $150k plus money. That does not mean they are not bargains - just a different class that would make a great weekend driver.

More times than not, it is the craftsmanship that lowers the overall value. An engine or transmission or even suspension can be changed at a "reasonable" cost, but craftsmanship on door gaps, body and paint, interior finishing and so on - is very expensive to address. In other cases, it is simply that the Restomod does not have it all as described below.

The high end RestoMods that command the big bucks do have it all:
1. Newly engineered chassis with late model suspension and brakes (c5-7)
2. Electronic Fuel injection engine (typically LS) coupled to a modern transmission (5 or 6spd manual or automatic)
3. Top level craftsmanship for body/paint/interior/electronics and so on.

All things being equal above, a Restomod with the LS9 or newer will command more money than the LS3 but it does not necessarily indicate a huge depreciation for the LS3 Restomod over the LS9 in my simple example.

I have a 64 Restomod with an aftermarket chassis, LS3, 5-speed Tremec, and all the bells and whistles that I had completed over 3 years ago. Based on what I have seen with recent sales, the value has held if not appreciated a little.
You nailed it, for sure.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:01 PM
Buttonhead
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cost to build them is far greater then the cost to restore a car back to original

Incorrect! A complete restoration done correctly is far more expensive. A true Corvette lover and hobbyist would never own a resto turd!

Quick Reply: Value of Restomods