C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Noisey speedometer cable

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 05:42 PM
cblankin
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Noisey speedometer cable

My speedometer needle is jumping all over the place for the first five or tem minutes. Sound like the speedometer cable needs to be lubricated. I have plans on removing the gauge cluster in a couple months. Till then would it hurt anything to disconnect the cable form the transmission. I have a GPS to tell me the speed. Will transmission oil leak out of the cable connector? Could I just "Cap" it off?
Old 02-19-2016, 10:46 PM
vipervetteguy
Drifting

Received 247 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by cblankin
My speedometer needle is jumping all over the place for the first five or tem minutes. Sound like the speedometer cable needs to be lubricated. I have plans on removing the gauge cluster in a couple months. Till then would it hurt anything to disconnect the cable form the transmission. I have a GPS to tell me the speed. Will transmission oil leak out of the cable connector? Could I just "Cap" it off?
My speedo was acting just as you describe. Then, all of a sudden, the odometer quit working and the speedo instantly became smooth and quiet as can be. I can live w/o an odo, so it's a small price to pay for a smooth speedo.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:12 PM
irwiny
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

My speedometer was jumpy and also leaked at the transmission. I lubed the cable twice (didn't help) and is smooth now but both odometer and trip have stopped. I can live with a smooth speedo and non functional odometer and trip meter.

You should maybe put a plate that pushes and keeps the trip reset before they stop. I read it's recommended from senior members here after rebuilding the three worm gears and could reduce the stress on the speedometer.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:52 AM
easyriderknucklehead
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by irwiny
My speedometer was jumpy and also leaked at the transmission. I lubed the cable twice (didn't help) and is smooth now but both odometer and trip have stopped. I can live with a smooth speedo and non functional odometer and trip meter.

You should maybe put a plate that pushes and keeps the trip reset before they stop. I read it's recommended from senior members here after rebuilding the three worm gears and could reduce the stress on the speedometer.
\can you please explain the put a plate that pushes and keeps the trip reset. I notice the trip is on other side and hard to reset from front,
Old 04-13-2016, 11:35 AM
irwiny
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by easyriderknucklehead
\can you please explain the put a plate that pushes and keeps the trip reset. I notice the trip is on other side and hard to reset from front,
Link below reply from Frankie the Fink explains it the best. We are very lucky to have smart guys like him on this forum.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-odometer.html

Irwin

Get notified of new replies

To Noisey speedometer cable

Quick Reply: Noisey speedometer cable