C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

65 Voltage Regulator - Rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 06:13 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

Default 65 Voltage Regulator - Rebuild?

I have a 65 Voltage Regulator that I got from John Pirkle. We tired this on two different cars and it does not work so we have a Solid State one on there now.

Is there someone that can take my 65' VR and make the internals like a new one?

Recommendations?
Old 03-17-2016, 06:39 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

You can put the solid state Wells VR-715 circuit board on the original regulators base and cover it with the original Delco-Remy cover. I can post pics of how I did it later. Undetectable.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-17-2016 at 06:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JackTripper (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 07:24 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by JackTripper
I have a 65 Voltage Regulator that I got from John Pirkle. We tired this on two different cars and it does not work so we have a Solid State one on there now.

Is there someone that can take my 65' VR and make the internals like a new one?

Recommendations?
Bill Caldwell is making and selling a solid state replacement that goes inside the original case. Google his name for contact info,or see the NCRS Driveline for info, or check in the archives ( as this has been discussed multiple times and contact info is already provided), or simply PM me.

I know of none who replaces the mechanical parts with new parts. Pirkle is about as close to this as you can get......and you stated that he already failed.

Larry
JackTripper (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 07:51 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Powershift
Bill Caldwell is making and selling a solid state replacement that goes inside the original case. Google his name for contact info,or see the NCRS Driveline for info, or check in the archives ( as this has been discussed multiple times and contact info is already provided), or simply PM me.

I know of none who replaces the mechanical parts with new parts. Pirkle is about as close to this as you can get......and you stated that he already failed.

Larry
PM Sent.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:51 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
You can put the solid state Wells VR-715 circuit board on the original regulators base and cover it with the original Delco-Remy cover. I can post pics of how I did it later. Undetectable.
Please do. Thanks.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:52 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by JackTripper
Please do. Thanks.
The worst part is 'gutting' the old mechanical points/armatures off the original base; once that is done its just a matter of transferring the circuit board and the spade lug connectors using small brass screws/lock washers/nuts you can get at any Ace hardware.

You have to drill one hole (circled in red) to ground the board... This conversion passed ops judging with no deducts at the NCRS Jan regionals at Lakeland (some will tell you it won't pass; it absolutely will)...
Attached Images     

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-17-2016 at 10:03 PM.
JackTripper (03-19-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 10:35 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

This conversion passed ops judging with no deducts at the NCRS Jan regionals at Lakeland (some will tell you it won't pass; it absolutely will)...
A knowledgeable judge can easily tell the difference between a mechanical VR and a solid state one. Whether it passes or not is up to the judge. Just like the deducts for added A/C.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:47 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I can't see what certain people post because of my forum 'ignore' list.

Suffice it to say that no less than two national-level 63 ops judges observed everything in detail on my car during the NCRS Lakeland winter regionals. They actually gave me a big smiley face on the judging sheet for ops because, EVERYthing worked so well. The judges were blown away by my coupe's side window operations...just two fingers wind the windows completely up and down. They called other judges over to observe how slick the windows work.

"No brag, just facts..."

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-18-2016 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:33 AM
71scgc
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

I recently rebuilt one like Frankie's.
Easy to do. Be careful on the drilling ops and it will work great and look great too.

Carter
Old 03-18-2016, 08:58 AM
1snake
Le Mans Master

That explains why you don't reply when I call you out on one of your B.S. stories. At least others enjoy it when I do.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:28 AM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Suffice it to say that no less than two national-level 63 ops judges observed everything in detail on my car during the NCRS Lakeland winter regionals. They actually gave me a big smiley face on the judging sheet for ops because, EVERYthing worked so well. The judges were blown away by my coupe's side window operations...just two fingers wind the windows completely up and down. They called other judges over to observe how slick the windows work.

"No brag, just facts..."
Just because 2 judges missed it doesn't mean it would be a "given" in future judging. I had a senior judge, who is in the Corvette Museum Hall of Fame, miss my service replacement carb in judging.

P.S. I still kid him about missing it.

Last edited by ricks327; 03-18-2016 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:06 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by ricks327
Just because 2 judges missed it doesn't mean it would be a "given" in future judging. I had a senior judge, who is in the Corvette Museum Hall of Fame, miss my service replacement carb in judging.

P.S. I still kid him about missing it.
Yeah well I'm a journeyman avionics technician and I'm telling you it'll never get caught. It works just like the mechanical one and undetectable externally. But the OP can take my advice or leave it.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:17 AM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Yeah well I'm a journeyman avionics technician and I'm telling you it'll never get caught. It works just like the mechanical one and undetectable externally. But the OP can take my advice or leave it.
I know the "internet expert" won't see my reply but for the benefit of others, a solid state VR reacts differently to a load change than a mechanical one and it's easy to see in the battery/amp gauge. Anyone who says they don't has no idea what they're talking about, but that's obvious to those that do.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:19 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 1snake
I know the "internet expert" won't see my reply but for the benefit of others, a solid state VR reacts differently to a load change than a mechanical one and it's easy to see in the battery/amp gauge. Anyone who says they don't has no idea what they're talking about, but that's obvious to those that do.
I value both you and Frank's response on this forum. But I will have to agree with 1snake on this matter. I have seen both in action and I know for a FACT that if you know what your looking at you can see it in the gauge when you turn the lights on.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:53 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Whatever. Do you believe C1s never had a 'dip' in the seat bottoms ?Apparently there is one internet "expert" who does. Regardless of pics of original cars in Noland Adams book. I can find the post if needed.

I actually drive my cars (a lot) and don't just talk about them.

Believe what you like I have judging sheets and not just hearsay. I've offered the option and so I'm done here.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-18-2016 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:10 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I'm no solid axle expert but show me a true low mile car and then let the experts decide.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:21 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
I'm no solid axle expert but show me a true low mile car and then let the experts decide.
All I'll say on the subject is the 1960 sales brochure clearly shows no dip.

I'm sure FFS knows way more than me about Corvettes. I had only owned 15 of them and had 30 years experience restoring them before he bought his first one. Also, I do all my own work, not pay others to do it for me.

Get notified of new replies

To 65 Voltage Regulator - Rebuild?

Old 03-18-2016, 05:13 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Yup. How dare that upstart Noland Adams be considered an expert
he has been known to be wrong before. I'm just saying his word is not gospel but I want to stay out of this because I know very little about solid axle cars
Old 03-18-2016, 05:31 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Yawn....so predictable, so unproven. I've PROVEN a solid state conversion will pass regional judging if its well done and externally undetectable. If somebody shot me down on that at a regional they would have to prove the internals were not original without 'touching' the device. I don't think that's gonna happen...and IT DIDN'T.

But as Kipling said, "...if you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools......you'll be a man my son!".
Old 03-18-2016, 05:42 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Frank just becouse it passed at that event doesn't mean it will at anther. Judges are human and make mistakes. You should know as you haven't said to many nice things about them since that event

Quick Reply: 65 Voltage Regulator - Rebuild?