C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Bird Cage removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 02:46 PM
Scrubbyj
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bird Cage removal

Good afternoon gentlemen,

In the process of tearing my car apart I have discovered some damage to the driver side bird cage along the rocker as well the the door pilar. I'd like to remove the cage and make proper repairs.

Can anyone give some insight into the process or share some experiences with birdcage removal? I have had little luck with researching this topic.

Thanks In advance,

JJ
Old 03-31-2016, 02:58 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 829 Likes on 573 Posts

Just did a search on the Forum....

Lots of reading 'threads' for you to look at from those that have worked on the birdcage...some with pictures and links to purchase parts...

Good luck...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rchid=54091546
Old 03-31-2016, 02:59 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

That's a MAJOR undertaking to get to both of the areas you describe. Basically, you have to disassemble the entire body and interior to get to them. That includes debonding the fiber glass from the metal structure.

Best Wishes!
Attached Images  
Old 03-31-2016, 03:46 PM
Protour63
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

I did a quick write up on doing rocker channels this winter. As stated above, complete tear down to the bare cage is very intensive and probably avoidable if damage is not too severe. The hardest part is finding all the spot welds to cut out. Caldonia re-pops are pretty good.
Best of luck.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:54 PM
Scrubbyj
Intermediate

I have a rocker channel on order from paragon and that section of fiberglass will be removed and replaced, my largest concern now is the fwd door pillar and if I can possibly service that without cage removal.

The body is already down to a shell and will be lifted off the frame and soda blasted soon. I just need to establish how much further I need to go to properly fix the cage.

Could you send a link to your article?

Thank you,

JJ

Originally Posted by Protour63
I did a quick write up on doing rocker channels this winter. As stated above, complete tear down to the bare cage is very intensive and probably avoidable if damage is not too severe. The hardest part is finding all the spot welds to cut out. Caldonia re-pops are pretty good.
Best of luck.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:36 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
That's a MAJOR undertaking to get to both of the areas you describe. Basically, you have to disassemble the entire body and interior to get to them. That includes debonding the fiber glass from the metal structure.

Best Wishes!
Hey, that's the picture of my 63 convertible!
My advise is to make sure it's put in a jig after you perform the repairs. If you are in the southeast, Luckys restorations has one.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:42 AM
Protour63
Intermediate

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-roadster.html

Hopefully the above link works. If not, check under my posts on my profile.
Best of luck.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:30 AM
Scrubbyj
Intermediate

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-roadster.html

Hopefully the above link works. If not, check under my posts on my profile.
Best of luck.
Thank you for that, very helpful. It looks like with the front clip completely removed it exposes the A pillar? The resolution on my phone was a bit low so I couldn't tell. If so that will make repairs to the pillar a bit easier. Is it possible to remove and replace the A pillar with the body in that state?

Thank you.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:49 AM
Protour63
Intermediate

I would say at the very least you would benefit, from removing the side fender. I have replaced lower a pillars on C3's without disturbing fender but they are different. The midyears are a more complex construction. If the rocker channel was removed, you may be able to cut the bottom few inches off the pillar and remove / install from the bottom. Then fit and weld in place before re installing the channel. Really depends on how bad and high up the rust goes up your pillar. Have any pictures?
Old 04-01-2016, 10:10 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Here's another picture of the C2 birdcage, from a slightly different angle I snagged off the Forum for reference...

Good luck... GUSTO

Derek, thanks, and you're right. I had to look at it twice to see it... DUH!

Last edited by GUSTO14; 04-01-2016 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:56 AM
Protour63
Intermediate

That is a C3.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:57 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by 65silververt
Hey, that's the picture of my 63 convertible!
My advise is to make sure it's put in a jig after you perform the repairs. If you are in the southeast, Luckys restorations has one.
Yup, I "borrowed" that image when you posted it a couple years ago.
Thanks!

Old 04-01-2016, 11:00 AM
Scrubbyj
Intermediate

I would say at the very least you would benefit, from removing the side fender. I have replaced lower a pillars on C3's without disturbing fender but they are different. The midyears are a more complex construction. If the rocker channel was removed, you may be able to cut the bottom few inches off the pillar and remove / install from the bottom. Then fit and weld in place before re installing the channel. Really depends on how bad and high up the rust goes up your pillar. Have any pictures?
I do not have pics of the pillar itself but a repair can be seen on the pillar where what we suspect a section of the rocker channel and the pillar intersection was replaced due to collision damage. The whole entire front end is being replaced so everything should be exposed. I'd like to properly fix the whole ball of wax.

Get notified of new replies

To Bird Cage removal

Quick Reply: Bird Cage removal