C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Starter nose cone identification

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 04:34 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,036 Posts
Default Starter nose cone identification

I have various Delco-Remy starters and am trying to ID the nose cone that goes with each. One is starter 1107365 6B7 which I found fits a 1967 big block, but it has the wrong nose cone on it. Another starter 1107664 7B27 fits a 1957 small block but has the newer aluminum nose on it. Over the years I have swapped out parts and am now trying to piece them back together.
Do the nose cones have a part no. or date code on them?? I only found one that appears to be for the 1967 big block that is marked A4 3954 11 - picture below. Looking for a web site to identify starters and nose cones if there is a ID on the nose cones.
Attached Images     
Old 04-01-2016, 05:37 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

SHORT VERSION

Basically, for Chevrolet engines------------------PRIOR to the introduction of the mini style starters, there are THREE nose cone styles.
The first is the 55-62 style, with a CAST IRON NOSE, which ONLY mated with the larger 168 teeth flywheel and it bolted to the bell housing, as below.

The SECOND style
In 1963, the smaller, 153 teeth flywheel came into use and the starter had an ALUM ONLY nose which bolted to the block and had a STRAIGHT ACROSS bolt pattern. Shown below (Chevy on right) compared to an Olds/Pont starter. The Olds/Pont starters were installed on the LEFT side of the block. As can be seen BOTH the Chev starter nose for the 153 teeth flywheel and the Olds/Pont starter had a straight across bolt pattern-------------------BUT REMEMBER, THEY BOLTED TO OPPOSITE SIDES OF THE BLOCK. And, as some additional information, the Olds/Pont flywheel was an in between size to the 153 and 168 Chev flywheels (and a totally different bolt pattern for the crankshaft, thus, they cannot be accidently interchanged).

The THIRD style---------------THERE ARE TWO VERSIONS ------ALUM AND CAST IRON.
This nose has the staggered bolt pattern, which bolts to the block, and is used ONLY with the 168 teeth flywheel/flexplate.
READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULLY!!!! For a GM Delco style starter (minis and others are a different deal), to be used with a MANUAL TRANNY AND 168 TEETH FLYWHEEL, the CAST IRON, staggered nose is required. The cast iron nose will also work with an auto tranny.
The ALUM, staggered nose WILL ONLY WORK WITH AN AUTO TRANNY.
WHY????
The alum, staggered bolt pattern nose is too big to fit into the starter bulge of the 444-621 style bell housing. Thus, that's why the CAST IRON, staggered bolt pattern nose must be used with the 168 teeth flywheel.
Below is a comparison of a cast iron (left) and alum, staggered bolt pattern noses.

And last, the GM V8 starters are basically the same, both regular and Hi-torque versions.
That is, a Hi-torque starter CASE on a 75 455 Olds engine, can be bolted up to the starter NOSE for a 57 Chevy 283 engine. The design of the cases and the bolt pattern for the two long bolts which attach the starter noses and starter cases are the same!!!

Last edited by DZAUTO; 04-01-2016 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:03 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

Saw these pics in another thread prior to starting this one. The one I have doesn't appear to match the cast iron in your reply. Does it have any numbers to identify them or were they generic?
Old 04-01-2016, 10:18 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Some cast iron noses MAY have numbers, BUT, all of them I've touched (as I described) are interchangeable. Certainly, there are some vairiations, probably because of the vendors that made them. Although, the position where they bolt up to the block, the bolt hole locations and the depth of the starter drive gear as it engages the flywheel, are all the same. Thus, to answer your question, yes they are generic.
If absolute correctness is an issue, they you will have to close examine the starters on some cars with KNOWN starters to see exactly what was installed on a particular car's engine.
At one time, just the bare cast iron starter nose was available from your friendly Chevy parts dept.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:10 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Thanks DZ. I don't have a big block to bolt it up to, but I think they are the same as the small block as far as mounting for the 168 tooth flywheel. I'll bolt it up with the flywheel and bell housing on a small block to check. Just confused as I could find no marking on other noses.
Thanks again.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:27 AM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

FWIW, there are two different length cases and armatures for second style starters. Long case starters have a copper spacer sleeve between the solenoid terminal and the field terminal on the starter case. Short case starters bolt the field terminal directly to the solenoid as in your pic. If you are going to use the hanger bracket that bolts to the block and to a threaded extension on the upper starter case bolt, make sure you have the correct length case and armature for your block. Otherwise SB and BB starters are interchangeable.

Last edited by Avispa; 04-02-2016 at 09:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
R66 (04-02-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 08:20 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

That's not the correct case, I have it among the other 10 or 12, but that is the case the nose is bolted on. Back in the day, I had to buy junk cars to repair what I drove or raced. Had everything from a couple of 55s to early 70s. Yeh, I am OLD!
Now retired, trying to thin things out and fund the Vette plus keep the boss happy. Plus hate to sent things to the scrap yard that others can use. I still have two 68 Camaros as well as the 66 roadster. The nose just doesn't look quite like what everyone has shown me, plus it has numbers on it.
I was raised back in the day you would get your A** beat if you lied (I can't run for President or even town clerk because of that). Besides, I made it this long, why start now.
Thanx for the replies.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:01 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by R66
Thanks DZ. I don't have a big block to bolt it up to, but I think they are the same as the small block as far as mounting for the 168 tooth flywheel. I'll bolt it up with the flywheel and bell housing on a small block to check. Just confused as I could find no marking on other noses.
Thanks again.
Starters, flywheels, bell housings are NOT, repeat, NOT specific to small blocks or big blocks.
ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL 55-85 Chevy V8 engines (SB, W-engines, BB) share the SAME crankshaft/flywheel bolt pattern.
ANY, ANY, ANY 1955 to 1985 flywheel (153 teeth or 168 teeth) will bolt up to ANY 1955-1985 crankshaft. Also, ANY bell housing (for SB or BB, whether it be for the big or small flywheel) will bolt up to ANY block, simple. PERIOD! I don't know how explain or clarify it any better!!!
Now, with that said, what MUST be combined for functionality is the flywheel/bell housing/starter must match.
If the small, 153 teeth flywheel is used, then the 403 style bell housing must be used, and a starter with STRAIGHT ACROSS bolt pattern must be used.
If the larger 168 teeth flywheel is used, then the 444 or 621 style bell housing must be used with a starter that has the staggered bolt pattern.
ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL 55-62 Corvettes, as well as passenger cars, with a manual transmission, ONLY used the big 168 teeth flywheel and an open bottom bell housing and a starter which bolted to the bell housing.
Again, I do not know how to explain or clarify it any better than that!

Get notified of new replies

To Starter nose cone identification

Quick Reply: Starter nose cone identification