C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

re sealing a 427 b/b

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 02:03 AM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Received 330 Likes on 196 Posts

Default re sealing a 427 b/b

Well As you guys know I have been chasing the oil leaks out of my car.(rebuilt tranney on its way from ed harrnet) 4 post lift on friday every things coming together. I have a tiny oil leak from the rear of my motor also
dime size puddle after a week in the garage.I hate oil leaks I and have just ordered a new oil pan gasket and would like to know what is invoulved in replacing the rear main seal while the tranny is out and the fly wheel is off. Fly wheel is coming off because of the tranney leak I have to get it checked for cracks and a resurface.Even if its not leaking now it seems like it would only make sence to do it now thinking its only a little more effort.Is it only a little bit more effort ofr could I be opening a can of worms here.
Old 09-05-2002, 03:52 AM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Default Re: re sealing a 427 b/b (Ih2lose)

I did this on my vette last year. I have a 327 though with out power steering. Here is how it went for me.

Remove steering link, actually just one bolt, then drop it to the side.
Removed the starter.
Removed lower ignition sheilding.
Removed bell housing inspection cover.
Removed oil filter canister.
Then droped the pan.

Not to big of a deal. I am not sure about clearance issues with the big block though.

I spend alot of time cleaning the matting surface and the oil pan surface as well. Brake cleaner and a rag works well.

I removed the rear journal cap and snaked the new seal around.

I used the traditional gasket and plenty of RTV. I first RTV'ed the gaskets in place on the pan, this glues them in place so they do not get out of place when you are trying to fit the pan back on. I let it dry for about 2 hours so it is firmly in place.

I use ample RTV on the top of the gasket all away around. Don't be shy use your finger to level it and smooth it out. I did this in the winter so it had months to dry, but over night should be sufficient. I run the pan bolts down only hand tight with the socket and extension. The next day I tighten them with the ratchet. This keeps from squeezing out the RTV. I use this method with great success.

The only time my vette "drips" is if it spend the night in a strange garage with a cute little honda"

Mark
Old 09-05-2002, 10:13 AM
achapman
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: re sealing a 427 b/b (ghostrider20)

The only time my vette "drips" is if it spend the night in a strange garage with a cute little honda"

Mark
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 09-05-2002, 03:39 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

Default Re: re sealing a 427 b/b (Ih2lose)

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 09-05-2002, 09:29 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Default Re: re sealing a 427 b/b (Viet Nam Vett)

Larry, I swear by the use of a torque wrench, (in. lbs.) for the cover and pan bolts. Mine was put on 17 years ago and has not leaked, no joke. Another note, if you don't want to use a lot of RTV, use sewing thread through the bolt holes and a small amount of RTV. Nothing will move and you don't have any clean up etc. Since your putting on a new pan you don't have to worry about a distorted pan rail caused by over tightening repeated number of times. Hope this helps. :cheers:
Old 09-05-2002, 11:07 PM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Received 330 Likes on 196 Posts

Default Re: re sealing a 427 b/b (Bluestripe67)

Thanks every one as a practise I hate rtv and it liberal use.I will use the old indean glue thats like tar to hold the gasket.I have nevr done a rear mane seal and was oly concerned that I may effect some thing else by loosening up the rear of the motor
Blue stripe I have some picture's of your group I will resize and post them tonight and also a picture of a 1962 or 1961 that I absolutley fell in love with I did not get to meet the owner at our hotel.I will post that also

Get notified of new replies

To re sealing a 427 b/b

Quick Reply: re sealing a 427 b/b