C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1968-1970 FIA GT Fuel Tank capacity

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 11:32 AM
LTWALTHER2
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default 1968-1970 FIA GT Fuel Tank capacity

gbVette62 suggested I post this here, instead of the Autocrossing & Roadracing sub-forum. I realize this is a C3 topic, but he suggested because of the previous racing knowledge that is here in this sub-forum:

I have been searching but have had no luck, can anyone tell me what the 1968-1970 FIA GT Fuel Tank capacity was?
also if the type shown in these photos was a commercial product, if so who produced them? Where can I find one?
Or a shop made fabrication, that just met the FIA requirements?

I have contacted Wayne Ellwood, of the Greenwood website and he could not tell me anything, but, "larger tanks were available from the aftermarket but FIA mandated a lot of stock equipment for the "GT" class".
I was re-reading Pete's book, "Corvette Racing Legends", and I found on page 234, In 1969, the SCCA approved the use of 42 gallon bladder fuel cell that used a twin Stewart Warner electric fuel pump, so, maybe that's what is in the #6 OC and #49 BFG in these photos.

Does anyone have info on the type used in 1968 or this (pictured) fuel tank?

#6 Owens Corning L88 Tony DeLorenzo/Dick Lang 1970 24 hours Daytona.

#49 BFG L88 7/2007(1)

#49 BFG L88 7/2007(2)

Thanks,
TED
Old 04-10-2016, 12:38 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default Tell Wayne

I can figure that out! Give me a week or so to get those books out!

ATL was the go to Company back then! The standard Corvette tank they produced was 32 gallons! I have read about an endurance tank for the Daytona, Sebring and LeMans events! I will see if I can find your answer, just because it is an interesting question!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 04-10-2016 at 12:42 AM.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:13 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default Ok I went to some of my vast source information

The two series FIA and IMSA had a restriction for 120 liter tanks maximum! SCCA Production was production sizes (and I have all of the SCR rule books to check that) till adopting the 120 Liter rule also and the allowance of cells for safety, but with the advent of Corvettes entering the pro series of Trans Am ATL offered a 40 gallon raw kit for those cars and the largest they produced was up to 44 gallons! I should be able to check as to whether 42 gallons was legal, since I have those rules books! That might be one of those 40 gallon jobs! Have you filled it up yet? Many of these cars went to Trans am from SCCA production or jumped back to T/A because of the superiority of the Porsches in IMSA!
Actually 120 Liter is 31.7 gallons to be accurate!

I have a ton of info on all of these cars! I have more scattered around on these types of topics! My time is just limited!!! I am sure I could write the concise history of the racing fuel cell if I so choose to!

Since I wasn't appreciated on the Race car Registry and my stay wasn't long-- I don't charge people when I decide to share history and research I have or have done, unlike others!!!!!!!!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 04-10-2016 at 01:24 AM.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:08 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
!

Since I wasn't appreciated on the Race car Registry and my stay wasn't long-- I don't charge people when I decide to share history and research I have or have done, unlike others!!!!!!!!

who did that????????????????an answer by PM is requested
Old 04-10-2016, 10:08 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

I can figure that out! Give me a week or so to get those books out!

ATL was the go to Company back then! The standard Corvette tank they produced was 32 gallons! I have read about an endurance tank for the Daytona, Sebring and LeMans events! I will see if I can find your answer, just because it is an interesting question!
I figured either you or Garrett (63Corvette), or maybe even Dr L-88 or Jim Lockwood, would have the answer to his question. I knew Garrett in particular, might have the answer, because he racing a 69 427 back then.

I have a cursory knowledge of the 72 GCR, and some earlier regulations, but not enough to know pre-72 FIA fuel tank regs.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:09 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default I am a little hard to understand and to get along with but

Originally Posted by redvetracr
who did that????????????????an answer by PM is requested
This was the Facebook site only!
I thought when you join you try to participate and throw in something on the topics or posts, so I did! But I first came on and let it be known that I wasn't a researcher for hire and that didn't go over good (my tone and slam of the investor, profit making crowd)! I basically asked those types to steer clear of me!
In the past, mainly investor types have thought that I should spent my time finding stuff for them and I made it clear, because I do this as an enthusiast, I may or may not chose to look into something! The tone of that first salvo didn't go over good with one moderator/registry guy in particular and some of the old racer crowd! And I was asked to tone it down by that same registry guy after I was attacked!
The Registry guy Claimed he had gotten PMs from members who weren't happy that I was a member or allowed to join! That I had upset the Facebook crowd!
I being the new guy, I was pretty focused on and surprisingly unknown to many of those members over there (I guess they don't look into the forum to see my shenanigans!) But I Helped a few, joined some conversations! Naturally got some requests for help and some research and part of my process is to not start from scratch, but to ask what they had or what they thought or thought they knew! So one of the registry guys was going and looking up these things or felt a need to monitor or cross check things that I had posted! Kind of like the CIA or KGB used to do (checking each one of my posts) I generally was expecting the member wanting or asking for help to provide his own status and was getting strange commits like that I was keeping them up at night etc! An then the Registry guy sends a public reply that If I want all of this information, that his time is valuable and that it is customary to pay him/them a commission!
Well I do feel what I can share is valuable, and the time to help someone is very limited and precious and therefore it offended me that they expected me a closet researcher and historian type to pay a commission, when I was attempting to help some of their members and indirectly them! I have such a library to draw from for research, that I thought that would be appreciated! So I just simple unjoined!!!!! But I outwardly did help a number of members free as an enthusiast!

Also there was the 5 link thing that ruffled their feathers! I have a lot of recently found pieces of the timeline of the development of those suspensions and found more in print information that their site doesn't have and that I have never shared! I have the engineering drawings that Riley did for the Guldstrand units, I have the first Greenwood brochure to potential customers wanting his suspensions, and other things that they do not have related to the story and many of the dates figured out on who had what first and when! Even that initially was looked at ""not"" as a potential source of adding to the information known, but as an attack on the Registry and it's member by the two Registry guys!
Best if I just do my own thing! Thanks for asking!
You are one of the knowledgeable guys and I consider that valuable to the Corvette world and do appreciate when you do come on and share!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 04-10-2016 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:05 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 234 Posts

Well TC we need to talk. I recently bought the Doug Rippie 69 that Steve Kline ended up with and it has a 5 link in iit that Kline put in around 1977. I am going to run it in SVRA group 6 so it needs to come out but I would like to know more about it. Supposedly according to Rippie a Greenwood unit but have no way to verify.

I also need the FIA homologation papers for a 69 a friend of mine is building. So any help as always greatly appreciated!

Steve

This was the Facebook site only!
I thought when you join you try to participate and throw in something on the topics or posts, so I did! But I first came on and let it be known that I wasn't a researcher for hire and that didn't go over good (my tone and slam of the investor, profit making crowd)! I basically asked those types to steer clear of me!
In the past, mainly investor types have thought that I should spent my time finding stuff for them and I made it clear, because I do this as an enthusiast, I may or may not chose to look into something! The tone of that first salvo didn't go over good with one moderator/registry guy in particular and some of the old racer crowd! And I was asked to tone it down by that same registry guy after I was attacked!
The Registry guy Claimed he had gotten PMs from members who weren't happy that I was a member or allowed to join! That I had upset the Facebook crowd!
I being the new guy, I was pretty focused on and surprisingly unknown to many of those members over there (I guess they don't look into the forum to see my shenanigans!) But I Helped a few, joined some conversations! Naturally got some requests for help and some research and part of my process is to not start from scratch, but to ask what they had or what they thought or thought they knew! So one of the registry guys was going and looking up these things or felt a need to monitor or cross check things that I had posted! Kind of like the CIA or KGB used to do (checking each one of my posts) I generally was expecting the member wanting or asking for help to provide his own status and was getting strange commits like that I was keeping them up at night etc! An then the Registry guy sends a public reply that If I want all of this information, that his time is valuable and that it is customary to pay him/them a commission!
Well I do feel what I can share is valuable, and the time to help someone is very limited and precious and therefore it offended me that they expected me a closet researcher and historian type to pay a commission, when I was attempting to help some of their members and indirectly them! I have such a library to draw from for research, that I thought that would be appreciated! So I just simple unjoined!!!!! But I outwardly did help a number of members free as an enthusiast!

Also there was the 5 link thing that ruffled their feathers! I have a lot of recently found pieces of the timeline of the development of those suspensions and found more in print information that their site doesn't have and that I have never shared! I have the engineering drawings that Riley did for the Guldstrand units, I have the first Greenwood brochure to potential customers wanting his suspensions, and other things that they do not have related to the story and many of the dates figured out on who had what first and when! Even that initially was looked at ""not"" as a potential source of adding to the information known, but as an attack on the Registry and it's member by the two Registry guys!
Best if I just do my own thing! Thanks for asking!
You are one of the knowledgeable guys and I consider that valuable to the Corvette world and do appreciate when you do come on and share!

Last edited by C2Racer; 04-10-2016 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:07 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default Hey Steve, we are developing history together

Originally Posted by C2Racer
Well TC we need to talk. I recently bought the Doug Rippie 69 that Steve Kline ended up with and it has a 5 link in iit that Kline put in around 1977. I am going to run it in SVRA group 6 so it needs to come out but I would like to know more about it. Supposedly according to Rippie a Greenwood unit but have no way to verify.

I also need the FIA homologation papers for a 69 a friend of mine is building. So any help as always greatly appreciated!

Steve
You are one of the good guys going back to when I gave you the shots of your car I took at Monterey and thru some of the suspension, race threads!

1977 was the year were a lot was going on with those suspensions! I would have to see which one you (picture) that you are talking about!

The unforgettable thing that doesn't get talked about is who stole their designs from who! And who broke their deals on production that were supposed to happen? God forbid that we slam a few of these Corvette famous guys is why the history won't ever be accurate! The same with some of the engine development like the chapters related to the 427 Mystery motors to the L88s! My current study area is the early 1965-1967 Super Duty parts supply! The special HD cars, and I am doing a picture Porsche race car registry!! Ya for you and some others that are cool, I would try to see if I can find your answers within my time availability constraints!

I just put this fuel cell thing on the plate, so have to dig out the FIA rules books and the SCR rules books and my curiosity is to look for the transitional years!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 04-10-2016 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:46 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by gbvette62
I figured either you or Garrett (63Corvette), or maybe even Dr L-88 or Jim Lockwood, would have the answer to his question..
A little too new for my (limited) knowledge base. Sorry.

Jim
Old 04-10-2016, 08:36 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

TC I will be back at Monterey this year with the 63 so if you are coming out look us up.

Steve
Old 04-10-2016, 11:37 PM
LTWALTHER2
Advanced

All:
Thanks for your help.

TCracingCA Just to narrow it down some more, I am particularly interested in GT Class for the time frame for 1968 24 hr Daytona and 1968 12 hour Sebring. Did these races(for GT Class Corvettes), use SCCA rules regarding Fuel tanks or did they use FIA rules? I assume, since these two races led up to LeMans, then they used FIA rules, is this correct?
Thanks again,
TED
Old 04-11-2016, 10:49 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Originally Posted by C2Racer
Well TC we need to talk. I recently bought the Doug Rippie 69 that Steve Kline ended up with and it has a 5 link in iit that Kline put in around 1977. I am going to run it in SVRA group 6 so it needs to come out but I would like to know more about it.
Hey Steve, didn't I read that you were done with the SVRA. Something about being disappointed with all the cars that pushed the rules, and the SVRA ignoring it.

I hate to take this post off topic, but how about some info or pictures of your new purchase? It wouldn't be a red, white and blue car out of NY state, would it. A friend of ours was vintage racing a former Kline Chevrolet/John's Corvette Shop 69, that had what I thought was a Greenwood rear suspension. Any chance that it's the same car, because I know that car was for sale.

Are we going to see you at Indy again this year, and if so, which car will you be bringing?

Ted, sorry about high jacking your post some.

Glenn

Last edited by gbvette62; 04-11-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:30 AM
LTWALTHER2
Advanced

Hey Steve, didn't I read that you were done with the SVRA. Something about being disappointed with all the cars that pushed the rules, and the SVRA ignoring it.

I hate to take this post off topic, but how about some info or pictures of your new purchase? It wouldn't be a red, white and blue car out of NY state, would it. A friend of ours was vintage racing a former Kline Chevrolet/John's Corvette Shop 69, that had what I thought was a Greenwood rear suspension. Any chance that it's the same car, because I know that car was for sale.

Are we going to see you at Indy again this year, and if so, which car will you be bringing?

Glenn
No problem Glenn
Old 04-11-2016, 01:12 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default Still have to dig out(find where I put them)

I probably have 15k in literature pieces (10k in magazines)!

The 1968 and 1969 both Daytona and Sebring were run to the International rules, the re institution of the Makes Championship re formulated 3 liter formula and Homologation for the 5 liter cars, etc. But in 1969 there was a rules change to Group 6 and Group 4 (caused the Porsche 917 and Ferrari 512), but Group 3 stayed pretty much unchanged! I need to go see how thing might have changed from 1968 to 1969 if anything happened! I think as I am seeing things related to our beloved Corvette, nothing really was amended!
Corvette News I think covered those cars and I am sure something on this was covered in Competition press! I have a lot of FIA coverage in my book collection and even how the OC cars were built etc! I think the 10 Years of Checrolet racing covered some of this and I also have the Annuals of the International racing for these periods!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 04-11-2016 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:06 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default I have a few of the FIA books out

You almost need to be a lawyer to read these!!

I also might not have the 1968 book! But these cars were mostly under Group 3, but fitment of the tanks were from the Group 2 specs! Basically Appendix J covered the capacity which was cars 2500 cc or larger the 31.7 tanks! But at a certain race, the actual organizers could have ruled and waived larger capacities, but I can't see why that would have been done! There was a restriction also on the fill of 1 liter!

I think I should go and just look at my notes on those cars! You had the AIR cars, the Yenko Dx cars, Greenwood cars and then the OC cars! I have a lot in print on all of these! I probably have every article of that car!!!!!!!!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 04-11-2016 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:14 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

Well Glenn, half of your opening paragraph is correct but not the part about not racing with SVRA. And I think with all they have done since December it is headed in the right direction. I have thanked Rick for his work so far actually!

As for the new car it was a John's Corvette Shop car also and Doug Rippie bought it from John around 74 and then went racing with it starting in 75 and I have a log book from then and the roll bar stamp to match it. I cannot find any history from John racing it but would love to find some. I have corrected the history of corvette racing website for my car and my buddies now.

When Steve Kline wrecked the #76 69 my buddy just restored he went to Rippie and bought into this car and began racing it, under the 76 number too(see pic below). I say bought into it as my purchase money was actually, some 40 years later split between the 2 of them. So the other car for sale I do not know anything about.

Doug has raced my car with SVRA and others for maybe 5 or 6 years and he last raced it last Summer. Not sure which one I will bring to Indy as I am not totally sure I can go yet. I spent 11 days in the hospital this Spring and I need one more Doc clearance to go next week. Been a rough Spring and I need to go for a vacation from illness!

Pics below, old first and lastly a test session in February.

Steve

Glenn
Attached Images      

Last edited by C2Racer; 04-11-2016 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:22 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I figured either you or Garrett (63Corvette), or maybe even Dr L-88 or Jim Lockwood, would have the answer to his question. I knew Garrett in particular, might have the answer, because he racing a 69 427 back then.

I have a cursory knowledge of the 72 GCR, and some earlier regulations, but not enough to know pre-72 FIA fuel tank regs.
I raced IMSA Camel GT series from inception in 1971 until 1977.
I drove a 1969 L-88 Corvette with initially a stock fuel tank, and then a Fuel Safe 32 gallon fuel cell. There is a LOT of handling change from a full to empty 32 gallon cell!!!

Get notified of new replies

To 1968-1970 FIA GT Fuel Tank capacity

Old 04-11-2016, 02:26 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

Cool pic Garrett!

Steve
Old 04-11-2016, 06:06 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Thanks Steve. You've met the girl in the picture, she is my wife now (of 40 years) and the guys on my pit crew are all still good friends.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:30 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Thanks Steve. You've met the girl in the picture, she is my wife now (of 40 years)
Yes I have and still just as cute! Good for you and she's a car guy. You should keep her

Steve

Quick Reply: 1968-1970 FIA GT Fuel Tank capacity