C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'61 fuel gauge reading "E" - likely bad brown wire

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 04:09 PM
johngammel
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist

Default '61 fuel gauge reading "E" - likely bad brown wire

This is what I know. With all the wiring connected and probably about 1/2 of a tank of gas the "fuel" gauge is at "E" with the ignition turned on. The ohms to ground at the sending unit is near zero. With the brown wire removed from the tank sending unit there is about 18.5 ohms measured to ground. With the brown wire removed from the gauge it rapidly goes to "F". With both ends of what is apparently the fuel gauge wire removed the resistance to ground at the ring terminal is zero - which seems to be very bad. With a temporary wire connected from the sender to the back of the gauge it reads right at 1/2. I'm lead to the conclusion that the brown wire is shorted somewhere in the new harness.

It seems the best course of action is just to run a parallel brown wire to keep the color coding correct and tape it to the existing harness. Unless a judge is going to remove the cover from the gas tank cover no one will even know.

Thoughts?
Old 04-23-2016, 05:24 PM
TheCar
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like you have a good handle on the problem. Overlaying the harness Is a good idea, but If you are feeling lucky pick a spot in the middle remove some tape and cut the brown wire, then you can measure forward and back to find out where it's shorted, then decide if you want to chase it further, at least you won't have to run a wire all the way. If your lucky you might even find it. Check near splices, turn outs and connectors, you may have a mispinned connector if it goes through one. You will be doing a lot of taping the other way.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:38 AM
johngammel
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist

That's the process the navy used in the 60s - I called it "divide and conquer".

I've done a physical check of the harness and don't see anyway damage. Since it's new my guess is that they just check for continuity and the problem won't show up until it's actually in the car. Oh well - I'll just continue plugging along.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:47 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

If you want to rule it out then bench test the gauge and sending unit out of the car. Also check the gauge housing for any grounding problems.

I figured that one out (replaced my fuel sending unit and figured out the original one was good). Paint was preventing a good ground on the housing. Finally, decided to pull both gauge and sending unit. To check to see what was going on. Sure enough the paint I had used on the tabs on the housing was preventing a good ground.

Last edited by jimh_1962; 04-25-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:52 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Every C1 owner should run the add'l ground from the sending unit to the frame to avoid future feedback from the brake light circuits -- a common C1 problem known as "The Dancing Fuel Gauge".

This JohnZ article tells you how to do that and also how to check out the fuel gauge/sending unit...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
C1FuelGaugeTech.pdf (135.5 KB, 100 views)

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-25-2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:57 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Every C1 owner should run the add'l ground from the sending unit to the frame to avoid future feedback from the brake light circuits -- a common C1 problem known as "The Dancing Fuel Gauge".
Yeah, that was the first thing I did with the ground on the sender. In my case, it was all in the grounding in the gauge housing. I would take it out and test everything on a bench since it is easy to do. Just need a 12 DC volt power supply. Cheap and handy... I made my own out of a computer power supply.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:32 PM
ejboyd5
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by johngammel
With both ends of what is apparently the fuel gauge wire removed the resistance to ground at the ring terminal is zero - which seems to be very bad.
I'm not sure if this means you have checked the continuity of the brown wire from end to end or have not. If not, that would be my first test. If the results show a break, I would connect a pulse generator to one end of the brown wire and check at several locations along the run to see where the signal ends. By the way, my bet is on a poor connection rather than a fault in a new harness - let us know.

Get notified of new replies

To '61 fuel gauge reading "E" - likely bad brown wire

Quick Reply: '61 fuel gauge reading "E" - likely bad brown wire