C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

65 vs 69 Frame Differances

Old 05-07-2016, 09:23 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,479 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Default 65 vs 69 Frame Differances

Have a friend that purchased a 65 convertible off ebay a couple years ago that ended up having a rotted frame. I offered to help him swap it out with a new reproduction frame but he choose to outsource it to someone up north and had a lot of other stuff done as well.

Well he got the car back after 14 months and told me this guy use a 69 frame instead of the new reproduction frame.

What has to be done to a 69 frame to make it work on his 65?

D

Last edited by Mr D.; 05-07-2016 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:47 PM
champs65
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 63 Posts

Graft on rear section of 65 frame to the 69 frame behind the #4 body mounts.

Reposition #1,2, and 3 body mounts

Add 65 parking brake mechanism to the frames transmission crossmember.

The right rear kickup will need to have a hole drilled and an indentation made if you wish to keep the fuel line inside the frame back to the tank.

Front frame horns/extensions under the radiator are different 65 to 69, not sure if that area on a 69 can be made to work by drilling new holes/ cutting it to shape.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:52 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks, I knew there was more to this than just a couple mods. I didn't have time to really look this over but will be helping him get this car put back together.

Kind of makes me wonder why all the E-Brake frame hardware are in a box and not installed.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:01 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

What about the battery tray, I noticed that was not installed?
Old 05-08-2016, 07:28 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr D.
What about the battery tray, I noticed that was not installed?
He would have to position, drill and tap the mounting holes for the battery tray since it was behind the seat on C3 cars.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:35 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
He would have to position, drill and tap the mounting holes for the battery tray since it was behind the seat on C3 cars.
I was afraid of that, and I bet the guy that did the frame swap didn't do that when the body was off which is why the tray was not installed.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:29 AM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 884 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by champs65
Graft on rear section of 65 frame to the 69 frame behind the #4 body mounts.

The right rear kickup will need to have a hole drilled and an indentation made if you wish to keep the fuel line inside the frame back to the tank.

Front frame horns/extensions under the radiator are different 65 to 69, not sure if that area on a 69 can be made to work by drilling new holes/ cutting it to shape.
You'll need to replace the frame horns completely. My frame is from a '70 and I had to do everything in Dan's and Champ's posts as well as use C2 frame horns. BTW, the battery tray is held in place by threaded inserts that screw into the frame. These inserts accept the thread for the battery tray bolts. You could probably get by with self tapping sheet metal screws.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:04 AM
RestoMike
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Why go through all the cheesie mods rather than purchase a 'new' repro frame from Vette Products of Michigan. Many have, I did....no mess, no fuss. Cost to do the changes cannot be that much less than the new frame. Owner still ends up with a non-original frame, why not new?...jus' say'n.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:49 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RestoMike
Why go through all the cheesie mods rather than purchase a 'new' repro frame from Vette Products of Michigan. Many have, I did....no mess, no fuss. Cost to do the changes cannot be that much less than the new frame. Owner still ends up with a non-original frame, why not new?...jus' say'n.
Well that was the plan going in but didn't turn out that way.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:15 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,963 Likes on 1,055 Posts

I have no problem with the new reproduction frames. If you possess the time, tools and talent you can do the frame conversion for the cost of the C3 frame plus about $150.00. That's why people do it. Saving four or five thousand dollars that can be used elsewhere is a good thing.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:58 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,920 Likes on 4,770 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Or finding a good used frame from all these resto mod builders.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:54 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 612 Likes on 367 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Or finding a good used frame from all these resto mod builders.
I agree. You would think used frames would be cheap and plentiful. However that's not what I found when I was looking for a frame. People that have good used frames want almost new prices for them. I used 78 frame and I have about $1500 in it in total. That is frame cost, modifications required, sand blasted and epoxy painted, inside of frame coated with Eastwood frame protector, full welded seams and gusseted per GM Performance Manual. Because it is an automatic frame it has a removable trans cross-member. I did the mods and welding myself. Farmed out sandblasting and paint.

Tom
Old 05-08-2016, 11:04 PM
mudbone64
Le Mans Master

Location: I'd like to propose a toast... to internal combustion and wind in the face.
Received 261 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by champs65

We did have to drill the hole for the fuel line but no indention was made. The fuel line clears the body without issue.

The frame horns will be different on the '69 frame. Though I wasn't present for the process there was a template made from my '64 frame horns and that template was used to cut the '78 frame. You'll need to make sure the front bumper hardware will successfully attach the the '69 frame before installing the body. We installed my battery tray after the body was on the frame. it wasn't easy but it was doable.

Get notified of new replies

To 65 vs 69 Frame Differances

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 65 vs 69 Frame Differances