C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

L88 Engines

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 11:09 PM
W Guy
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Critter1
Verne......

In the GM part number change book, the 3899643, 67 L88 engine assembly part number was changed to 3819831 in January of 1968.

That part number fits nicely with the new 3819838 aluminum cyl heads that were released at about the same time.
Mike,
That number doesn't show up in the Tonawanda shipping report either so maybe it was changed again before the report was printed. If the number changed, I'm sure you know that a superseded number may not be the exact same part that the older number was. But it could be used as a replacement. In other words, the 831 could have had a host of different parts than the 643 but it was still an L-88 and rated as 430hp.

Maybe I should just file away my docs and go back to what I know best. I was just trying to help because I happen to have the shipping docs from Tonawanda for all engines shipped through July 17th, '69 including Corvairs, 307s, 350s, 400s, all the MKIV variations separated by A body, B body, Corvette and marine.

Verne
Old 05-22-2016, 11:09 PM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Received 621 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by TCracingCA

But I had a thought as to whether the second number or the third number had any correlation to the year? I see a trend for that especially in the second number, but then a part number comes along and so much for that theory! The subject #3899643 looks to be definitely 1967, but then we have an "8" in the sequence!!!! Unless they where originally planning for its release in 1968!!!!!! That might be where their heads were! They almost gave up on units and cars getting produced for 1967, so the part number reflected that?

Ok Brain tired, I am going to go talk to myself and drool in a corner for awhile!

And PS my mystery picture big block history thing has nothing to do with pumps from the tranny or related to the tranny period! Still looking for the key description!
No, I didn't say the pump in your picture was from the transmission. I said engineering used a modified TH400 transmission front pump as an oil pump for the early ZL1 engines. It was mounted ahead of what would be the timing chain cover. Pay attention! LOL

And the "8" in the part number had absolutely nothing at all to do with the year of application for a part.

You seem to have your own ideas about how the GM parts system works and how numbers are released so.....
Old 05-22-2016, 11:18 PM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Received 621 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by W Guy
Mike,
That number doesn't show up in the Tonawanda shipping report either so maybe it was changed again before the report was printed. If the number changed, I'm sure you know that a superseded number may not be the exact same part that the older number was. But it could be used as a replacement. In other words, the 831 could have had a host of different parts than the 643 but it was still an L-88 and rated as 430hp.

Maybe I should just file away my docs and go back to what I know best. I was just trying to help because I happen to have the shipping docs from Tonawanda for all engines shipped through July 17th, '69 including Corvairs, 307s, 350s, 400s, all the MKIV variations separated by A body, B body, Corvette and marine.

Verne
Thanks Verne.

We know the 68 engine would have changed quite a bit from the original 67 release so a new part number would be assigned.
The same would apply for the change to the 69 version and that may have occurred prior to release of the new 69 model cars.

If GM engineering changes a part number, it's because something changed on the part.

Interesting that you have all the info from the Tonawanda plant. Bet that's fun to read.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:31 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default I was looking for the word Dry Sump System to declare a winner, but

Originally Posted by Critter1
No, I didn't say the pump in your picture was from the transmission. I said engineering used a modified TH400 transmission front pump as an oil pump for the early ZL1 engines. It was mounted ahead of what would be the timing chain cover. Pay attention! LOL

And the "8" in the part number had absolutely nothing at all to do with the year of application for a part.

You seem to have your own ideas about how the GM parts system works and how numbers are released so.....
I can declare a joint winner and you and Rex split a chicken dinner! I was referee and you had oil and aluminum block, not quite called it what it was "A Dry Sump" and PS--- this same setup could support a Wet Sump also, it basically was supplying essentially forced direct oiling, just as I do on my personal Small block builds by drilling holes so I get pressurized spray to each cam lobe!

And I am just a student on the numbers myself, new project that I just began! The number ranges just don't seem to be grouped as per the time frames at first appearance! Maybe once I have them listed out, I will see that they are not in fact jumping around! Maybe I should just listen only to you and not try to research anything! I assume it just wasn't the Corvette department working on stuff, that some products might have arise from Team Chevelle or Team Impala!

Ps take on over the thread, I didn't start it!!!!!!! I am not the OP, just someone who joined a conversation!!!!! I was just trying to contribute also! I don't need to seem like I am heading any of it up! I don't really need to post or share anything! I benefit in no way, by posting or sharing thoughts and theory! I detect some attitude, so if you are the guy that is king on all of this, your stuff and notes definitely ain't that tight! Maybe if you want to walk away leaving an impression of some superior knowledge, you probably should organize your numbers better and not put up so many ????? I was just trying to make it a fun thread! I have just about two total months total on this big block topic! Maybe you feel my work is inferior to your holy standing in the Corvette world! Hey the tread is yours, have a nice day! Excuse me!

Out everyone!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 05-23-2016 at 01:46 AM.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:20 AM
Friendly guy
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Probably thousands and thousands by now....

Once upon a time many years ago I owned an all original,thoroughly researched, '69 Z-28 Camaro. The engine, of course, was the 302 DZ.
The funny thing I learned was, in the course of acquiring the car ( got it in the mid 80s ), that an enormous number of these cars and engines had been built...far more than the factory records would indicate.

The funniest of these was a '69 grocery getter small block. I believe it had a 307 with 2 speed powerglide transmission ON THE COLUMN!

Also, it had four wheel drum brakes. Other than that the seller had added the air intake hood, all the paint, stripes, and emblems, and engine dress up stuff. It looked the part from a distance and probably was sold to someone who didn't do their research at all.

So, no matter if there were factory records for the L88 whatever anyone says the number produced was there will be far more out there today in the world. Truth was, at the time, and I REMEMBER that time btw, most engines like this were used in organized racing, modified, and otherwise eventually blown to bits regardless of how strong they were etc.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:25 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

there were also closed chamber all aluminum engines produced. anyone have a part number for them ???
Old 11-02-2017, 07:38 PM
Maniak
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello folks, I'm new to this forum and not really in the Vette scene. I have a few specific questions about an L88. I'm in my late 30's and my dad is mid sixties. He has owned his 1968 Kindsvater flat bottom V-drive boat since about 1970. This flat bottom has some version of a 1967 HD/L88 427in it. Over the years we've had the engine out and freshened it but it still has low original hours. We are finally going to sell the boat. I know this engine is way more rare than the boat so we are planning on selling it separately. As far as engine specs, this was originally purchased over the counter, it has no VIN number stamped in the block. Standard bore 4-bolt main, cast iron closed chamber rectangular port heads, forged crank, 7/16" rods, OEM pistons, Solid lifter flat tappet camshaft, 7/16" push rods, and we have the original snowflake intake manifold the only thing not there is the factory oil pan. Looking at prices on ebay is a difficult way to truly identify a value to this engine. This isn't our only rare big block but this one is probably the most desirable. (we also have a LS7 and an LS6 in the family). Would anyone on here be able to give me some info on 1. how exactly we verify what specifically we have, and 2. a possible outlet to sell this to someone who would appreciate it?

Sorry to hijack a thread, it's just really hard to find info on these engines these days.
Thanks in advance, MJ
Old 11-02-2017, 07:46 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,938 Likes on 4,780 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Maniak
Hello folks, I'm new to this forum and not really in the Vette scene. I have a few specific questions about an L88. I'm in my late 30's and my dad is mid sixties. He has owned his 1968 Kindsvater flat bottom V-drive boat since about 1970. This flat bottom has some version of a 1967 HD/L88 427in it. Over the years we've had the engine out and freshened it but it still has low original hours. We are finally going to sell the boat. I know this engine is way more rare than the boat so we are planning on selling it separately. As far as engine specs, this was originally purchased over the counter, it has no VIN number stamped in the block. Standard bore 4-bolt main, cast iron closed chamber rectangular port heads, forged crank, 7/16" rods, OEM pistons, Solid lifter flat tappet camshaft, 7/16" push rods, and we have the original snowflake intake manifold the only thing not there is the factory oil pan. Looking at prices on ebay is a difficult way to truly identify a value to this engine. This isn't our only rare big block but this one is probably the most desirable. (we also have a LS7 and an LS6 in the family). Would anyone on here be able to give me some info on 1. how exactly we verify what specifically we have, and 2. a possible outlet to sell this to someone who would appreciate it?

Sorry to hijack a thread, it's just really hard to find info on these engines these days.
Thanks in advance, MJ
hello you should start your own thread asking the same question. to start is there any assembly stamp om the stamp pad. what is the casting number and date?
Old 11-02-2017, 07:59 PM
Maniak
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
hello you should start your own thread asking the same question. to start is there any assembly stamp om the stamp pad. what is the casting number and date?
Started new thread. Thanks, MJ
Old 11-02-2017, 09:30 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

No one was using the term L88 for these OTC parts that were available. They were designated as Super Duty parts formally, not L88 as sold over the counters. I almost have each one of those engine part numbers identified for those!! The 1965/66 were the forefathers of the coming L88s, were called HD engines! I am finding the L88 was an internal designation being put on the development for the soon to be released aluminum headed engines. The first real usage of something being called an L88, basically got out with the release of the Penske Daytona/Sebring racer! Unless some has something else. I know Corvette News came out with an article talking of the new L88, and other publications, but those to my best recollection were after the Penske Team car made it debut in competition.

Cool picture, that thing must have been a beast and got all tail happy fun and thrilling! What year?
The L88 name comes from the regular production option (RPO) when they were ordered as an option in a production car.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:42 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by PAmotorman
1966 here are the part numbers.
I had one of the over the counter short blocks with iron heads, sold it years ago with less than 100 miles on it.....coulda, shoulda, woulda lol
Old 11-02-2017, 10:15 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Originally Posted by PAmotorman
in 1966 there was heavy duty 427 option that was L-88 less the aluminum heads. in 1967 GM added the aluminum heads. here is a race car we ran it
Yes, it is my understanding that engine was installed in the car that was magazine tested that turned a 12 second 1/4 mile on those stock skinny bias tires. I always wonder how that was possible for years but this info was currently posted here in in the forum.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:53 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,604 Posts

A real L-88 wouldnt have iron heads
Old 11-03-2017, 05:20 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Originally Posted by MelWff
A real L-88 wouldnt have iron heads
I Have know idea of who or what you are responding to as you have not referenced anything. If you would have read the entire thread you would see that it basically references the evolution of the L88 from the days of heavy duty 427s prior to the L88s which were really only called that when they became available as an RPO. I think everyone involved in this thread knows that the 67-69 factory built L88s had aluminum heads.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:51 AM
0BowtieShop
Former Vendor

Received 25 Likes on 5 Posts

I can declare a joint winner and you and Rex split a chicken dinner! I was referee and you had oil and aluminum block, not quite called it what it was "A Dry Sump" and PS--- this same setup could support a Wet Sump also, it basically was supplying essentially forced direct oiling, just as I do on my personal Small block builds by drilling holes so I get pressurized spray to each cam lobe!

And I am just a student on the numbers myself, new project that I just began! The number ranges just don't seem to be grouped as per the time frames at first appearance! Maybe once I have them listed out, I will see that they are not in fact jumping around! Maybe I should just listen only to you and not try to research anything! I assume it just wasn't the Corvette department working on stuff, that some products might have arise from Team Chevelle or Team Impala!

Ps take on over the thread, I didn't start it!!!!!!! I am not the OP, just someone who joined a conversation!!!!! I was just trying to contribute also! I don't need to seem like I am heading any of it up! I don't really need to post or share anything! I benefit in no way, by posting or sharing thoughts and theory! I detect some attitude, so if you are the guy that is king on all of this, your stuff and notes definitely ain't that tight! Maybe if you want to walk away leaving an impression of some superior knowledge, you probably should organize your numbers better and not put up so many ????? I was just trying to make it a fun thread! I have just about two total months total on this big block topic! Maybe you feel my work is inferior to your holy standing in the Corvette world! Hey the tread is yours, have a nice day! Excuse me!

Out everyone!
Derek, I had a great conversation with Gary Gove and Bud Weiser last night. Bud did all the mechanical work on the Alan Green 66 L88 Corvette. He told me that there was a Chevrolet document/manual for chassis modifications for road racing. I'm looking for someone who might have a copy of that. Bud said that at one of the Pacific Races at Kent, he was working on the back of the car and a Chevy Engineer saw a wind deflector that Bud had fabricated to help cool the rear end. SCCA at the time would not allow any pumps or coolers on the rear end in AP or BP classes. Anyway, Bud says that the deflector design ended up going into the next chassis mod manual. Do you think you or any of the guys into that era of racing might have a copy?

Thanks for all the help so far. The mystery of this car is really coming together. A good friend of mine found a bunch of Seattle and Oregon newspaper articles with race results and race entries for many of the 1966 Gary Gove races. I need to find a few more wins. There is a labor day weekend in Stockton 1966 where the car won all 3 races. I've come up empty trying to find that. Another 2nd place at Riverside and 2 wins and a 2nd at Kent. The Kent stuff is non existent on the Web.

That's it for now, Thanks
The following users liked this post:
TCracingCA (03-09-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 12:56 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BowtieShop
Derek, I had a great conversation with Gary Gove and Bud Weiser last night. Bud did all the mechanical work on the Alan Green 66 L88 Corvette. He told me that there was a Chevrolet document/manual for chassis modifications for road racing. I'm looking for someone who might have a copy of that. Bud said that at one of the Pacific Races at Kent, he was working on the back of the car and a Chevy Engineer saw a wind deflector that Bud had fabricated to help cool the rear end. SCCA at the time would not allow any pumps or coolers on the rear end in AP or BP classes. Anyway, Bud says that the deflector design ended up going into the next chassis mod manual. Do you think you or any of the guys into that era of racing might have a copy?

Thanks for all the help so far. The mystery of this car is really coming together. A good friend of mine found a bunch of Seattle and Oregon newspaper articles with race results and race entries for many of the 1966 Gary Gove races. I need to find a few more wins. There is a labor day weekend in Stockton 1966 where the car won all 3 races. I've come up empty trying to find that. Another 2nd place at Riverside and 2 wins and a 2nd at Kent. The Kent stuff is non existent on the Web.

That's it for now, Thanks
I have been working on the real cars and digging stuff (car and race car stuff) out of my various garages! I have done zero Chevrolet or Corvette research since maybe the summer of any intensity! I always pull out old magazines and books to read, and sometimes write some notes! I posted in the Tri-carb thread, my latest path chasing the 427 drop into a Camaro and who was first! Dana did it in the fall of 1966, and Si don't think that had anything to do with Bill Thomas, but his personal project inspired that! I am trying to get a date on Grumpy Jenkins doing a 427 drop also! I should be able to nail all of this down!

I have out a Berger 1967 catalog and low and behold it shows the 427 HD stuff and the actual 1967 OTC L88 stuff, the generic aluminum heads for L-71, and the souped up Aluminum heads for an L88. All of the missing links in one catalog! I have the 1967-1/2 Nickey catalog and I posted some shots of that here earlier in this old thread, but it is missing some stuff and somewhere in another thread I pictured the infamous blank pages with special disclaimer in that very same catalog, if my memory serves me right! But Berger was able to go to publishing a hair later than Nickey, and had the opportunity to include the 1967 OTC L88 offerings in its catalog, so timing to print ousted Nickey, who was the largest and prototype Chevrolet HiPo Parts outfit in our entire Country at that moment in time! That did switch as the business model to the Motion (Rosen) plan and model and the press they were getting in print (Schorr), switched who became the favored son operation of Chevrolet Brass! The torch was passed from Nickey to Motion! But Motion got their business model from copying the Ace Wilson Poncho Royal Pontiac guys! Motion even tried to out Poncho the Poncho experts with his Top Cat kit, which made even the Ram Air IV Bobcat even badder a$$! PS the hot GTO test, was not a 421, but a 428 with the baddest Bobcat tune!

Historically, the Chevrolet HiPo Dealership Network was created by Word of Mouth recommendations! Chevrolet in its haste to improve on their imagine and reputation for quality and performance as Ford was just crowned World Champions with their Cobras and a Cobra Daytonas, next into the GT-40 program, the quickest way to select who was who was by recommendation! So take like Bill Thomas and let's make him a hub contact- he sold cars to Allen Green and Dick Harrell, so on and on! So guys like these were the basis for who was considered to be worthy to get the special parts and be connected in! Thus guys like Yenko, Harrell, Smokey, Jenkins, Thompson, Etc. recommended friends and connections creating the early Chevrolet Parts Performance Dealerships Program conceived in 1965, and technically born and launched in 1966. These dealerships also, got preference usually in ordering special performance cars!

The timing was suddenly this stuff got to these higher end Hi-Performance Parts selected dealerships! They could not peddle these parts unless they could prove they had qualified individuals to market, explain them, and sell them. Allen Green Chevrolet and gang was one of those groups of selected dealership outlets for the 1966 formalized HiPo parts network. The 1965 year is a little sketchy historically, but people like Bill Thomas, and others were helping the Chevrolet insiders decide as to what would be made available! Other than just a few prototype cars out the door, the 1966 racers were built up of special select component kits to these very select only chosen groups and their dealerships! In the package to kit a racer could be an M22, Transistor ignitions, Gear drive cams, cross drilled crankshafts, 12.5:1 slugs, the latest heads, etc etc and these cars got built up! And they hit the tracks! I do believe the 1967 Dana Chevrolet L88 LeMans Race Car was not a production L88, but a kit sent to Dana as a package and the car was built up from a car they picked which had a wide Single black slalom era stripe over its paint job. That L88 was built from a special shipped of very now rare and very special parts as a kit!!!!

I dont know if anyone remembers the big appearance of Nickey here on the Westcoast peddling it's high performance Chevrolet goods! My Dad took us as kids to that event, as he was a direct mail marketing guy and had Car performance outfits as his Clients! But at that show, they had like celebrities at there display as guests like the Dan Blocker guy from Bonanza fame and his special Nickey sponsored USRRC racer! But others there signing autographs, as Chevrolet Parts were being peddled to the Amateur racers and the public! Thus Nickey Chevrolet of Chicago meets Hollywood in 1967! And Bill Thomas was there that day! I was six years old at that show!!!!! For me learning car trivia and facts at age 6/7 was on par with other kids showing their prowess in memorizing the multiplication tables! At age 7 or I remember slightly younger, if I met Dan Gurney, I could tell him his own race stats or those of Jimmy Clark! So following Dad around, or wandering the Can Am pits at Riverside on my Coppertone 1963 Schwinn Stingray, I would ride up to a John Surtees or Roger Penske Lola and ask the crew what HP Traco had given them!

Ought oh! I just shared breaking news! I somewhere on this forum posted a picture of this car (the 1967 LeMans racer in the raw, build just getting started) from private pictures I have collected over time. Not seen by the public prior to my posting- the one where Guldstrand is taking his drill to the hood! Someone energetic can search down my picture on our forum I shared and move it to here! I am lazy today! Thus I suspect a few more of those super early ones were built up with kits also, like the DX racer also! The Delorenzo car I think was rolled down the production line and was a supervised build, where these special parts were installed direct from the engineers, and the Towers green prototype was the engineering test car (just for the engine drop), as it was lacking the J-56 brakes! Thus technically not an L88, as that was an entire package essentially, but so formally count it as the 21st L88 car, even though technically not.

Let me move my tri carb post here, as we just re-activated these topics and this thread! The Mods love when we do this! The history is better condensed if we don't start new threads and fracture it all up in different spots on the forum!

And Bowtieshop, I haven't helped much in the few email exchanges we have had, except to give you ideas as to the questions to ask of a Gary and the like type of guys that were involved! I have a nack for jarring old obscure memories loose of their cobwebs, with down and dirty questions that lead to an oh ya moment! But armed with bits and pieces of scattered history, we can draw things out, that have been long forgotten! I have struggled questioning some of these famous old timers in that some instead of looking at the questioning as a search for history and a true compliment to them (that they are being asked or interviewed), some see it as an attack on them! Or their memories are so far removed from back in the day, that it can be a disturbing experience to be asked about things that they no longer have a recollection about! The guy I talked to the most was like Guldstrand (but others also) and he had pat stories! If you hit a buzz word or topic, off he ran and you had to reel him back in if you wanted to get questions answered! But it was sure fun just shutting up and listening, even though he had injected some whopper tall tales into his stories! I had one shot at Smokey Yunick similarly when I was searching for some stuff, and I bought some stuff from Grumpy Jenkins and that gave me a momentary license to delve into history with him! I was a customer of the Traco shop, and prior visited as a teenager with my Father who had work done there also! And I have actually walked the hollowed shop of Bill Thomas as a kid, etc. and so when I run into these types, I always try to get a question or two answered that I have! But still too much "history mystery" exists on all of this stuff! Maybe one day, I can devote more time, as I have little free time! And I waste a lot of that lately on PRC or shopping ebay!
I was out at Porsche events this last weekend and ended up in two conversations with two famous Porsche guys,and wow to be an audience of one for a few stories is super cool! I talked about the late 935 hot rod builds! The Silhouette IMSA racers, the final renditions of the true Production based Group 5 racers! The ultimate 911 derivatives!!!! I felt honored, and then I was charged $27.50 for three hours of parking in the garage next to the LAX Hilton, which put a damper on the stories I was committing to memory, from famous guys that lived it!

Ps I do have all of my Race grids and programs out, and have actually put them in date order, but what a horde of literature! I have over a thousand on my dining room table stacked up, not including periodicals like Competition press or other! So for three months, I have stared at the literature mess preventing me from not eating on the sofa, and I want to go thru and improve my National and Regional race records, while keeping an eye out for a Allen Green and many other outfits racing entries! Hope to do that before I die!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-09-2018 at 06:44 AM.
63Corvette (03-09-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 01:21 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

I will put this here in this thread from the other thread as putting together the timeline of all that was happening sometimes can get unlocked by facts or happenings elsewhere in Chevrolet involvement with racing, or other car platforms like the Camaro -

""""I just wonder if this is one that came from the Yunick sale and ended up on this car!

Again, I am trying to remember what I have in the way of literature that talked about this manifold!

And FYI, I have been cataloging stories and facts better in the modern, so I do less winging it on history sharing from memory!

Ps what I am about to write, I am still proofing it and adding and editing, inserting dates, etc., so this is the real rough outline of my notes. A few here, will be able to throw in on this, as many in this thread are some of the good historian enthusiasts like I try to be, and good researchers with merit!

I just was writing the actual history of who and in what order Camaros were getting 427s essentially going thru to, the Vince Piggens end of things and even Grumpy Jenkins doings, Thomas, Dana, Harrell, Nickey, Yenko, Gibbs, and others!. Naturally Harrell's family and Valerie who I have met at a book signing and talked to is claiming Dick her Father was the first, but he bought Novas built by Thomas (Bad Bascom was the first and then one of Bill Thomas' 427 cars). Bill Thomas essentially educated Dick Harrell on 427 drops! Bill Thomas basically proofed and contributed to the basic 396/427 Manuals! Bill had a line of big block headers done with Doug for earlier Chevrolets, and he dropped a 427 in one (a Camaro), plus did the 1967 Hot Rod 427 Camaro that got Nickey's attention! They already had joint sponsorship on Dick Harrell's Nova Match Race Car. Dick Harrell subsequently was the guy doing it for Nickey, the grunt work on these conversions! Then Dick did a deal with Yenko to get his racing backed, and 25 1967 cars were done together (work by Dick)! Yenko never really did honestly much, but found the talent of others to do his thing! He had RST do the Corvairs and Harrell do the 427s! He wasn't much of an actual engineer or wrench (but could tune and drive), so he talked Chevrolet into helping him by dropping those engines thru the COPO program. They ended up getting Lawyers (Yenko and Harrell against one another) and split and Dick now had his own shop from that initial deal, then relocated to KC and peddled some more cars through various dealerships, then Fox pointed Gibb toward Harrell and they went down their path together doing special tuner cars!
Some claim Bill Thomas did the early Dana cars, but I am pretty studied up on Dana Chevrolet, as two of our family cars are from them, the 1968 a Special Tuner build car from Dale Armstrong! Dana did get the idea from Bill thou!

I also was still going down the road on the 1966 HD engines (pre-L88s) and the 1967 L88 program itself. I got the Nickey/Thomas 1967 catalog devoid of the L88 pages, as they had the parts, but not in time for publication! But low and behold, my Berger 1967 catalog has both families of 1967 L88 engines and parts (not 1968 stuff either), and also the carry over 1966 HD race stuff too! As the Nickey part numbers can be converted to the GM numbers, the Berger look similar! Some pages kind of mimic the Nickey style!

But on this Tri-Carb cool stuff! Thanks for sharing!""""

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-08-2018 at 01:24 PM.
63Corvette (03-09-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To L88 Engines

Old 03-09-2018, 07:30 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Ok I lost the participation, so many of you know me and I will ramble on alone!

It is not looking like Bill Thomas did the first 427 engine drop in a Camaro!!!!!

What appears to to have happened in history was a Production prototype car made its way in like May 66 to the Arizona GM proving grounds. Then that car was rerouted after some press releases to Bill Thomas by I suspect Vince Piggens himself. The engine drop done at this time was with a 396 engine!!!!!!!! And that is a car shown in some famous shots like with the Parachutes opening, along with other shots of the engine install! Thus the motor mounts for big blocks to be installed in the coming Camaro was already in his hands. He also had a big block header of his own design that he commissioned for construction by Doug for 396 drop in the 55-57 Chevy cars! Thus that design got tweaked in this 396 installation! I have to dig out those Magazines out of my collection, but I think M/T and PHR ran stories on this car!
Now the first production cars did hit the Dealerships in September 1966. I do believe Dana Chevrolet might have gotten one of the first or actually might have been the earliest in August! These were L-48 350 w/ 295 hp rides. So from the press on Bill Thomas, they consulted with him to build a direct competitor car for the Shelby GT-500. Remember some of the staff was ex-Scarab and ex-Shelby American employees! PS Dana Chevrolet's new HIPo Center across and down the street from the main dealership was peddling also other brands occasionally of performance cars and did deals on the ISO Grifo, and some Shelby cars also, handled two Yenko Stingers also, out to customers! The famous Drag Racer and later Top crew chief- Dale Armstrong was bought in. He was Match Racing the White Chevrolet Redondo Beach sponsored Blue Nova and moonlighting at Torrance CA's 10,000 RPM shop on Torrance.Boulevard! I have been there many a time when my dear old Dad was drag racing his 1957 Corvette and then his 1964 Coupe in C/SP class in those years! He was friends of Guldstrand as they both were C1 racers and friends with Dale Armstrong when we lived in Torrance! But Dana Chevrolet bought Dale into the Hi-Performance Center to work. Dale was a direct competitor to the likes of Dick Harrell driving the bought Bill Thomas Race Cars built Nova with I think a 396 at first, then upgraded to the 427, and not sponsored by a Nickey at first, but later. Thus Dick Harrell and Bill Thomas were already connected, prior going back to Dick taking an interest in buying Bill's Corvette IRS Diff road race setup 1962 Nova (Bad Bascom) and turning it loose on the Drag Match racing scene. Thus Bill hooked Dana Chevrolet up with the components (motor mounts and headers) and the first actual 427 engine drop was done in the fall of 1966. Then two months later, the Nickey/Thomas Camaro was done, and Dick Harrell was there doing it at Bill's Anaheim shop together. And this is a different Red car, than the 396 car, as it has a too high serial number! When this car came up for auction at the high end bull$hit artists auctions, they wrote it up as the very first 427 installed car period! But naturally they stretch the bull$hit always! Typical investor crowd crap! They always got their stories just off in fact and truth! And Valerie Harrell wants to sue everyone, for Bill Thomas getting the credit, but the truth is they did it together! That car went back with Harrell to Nickey and became the Press baby for Nickey Hi-Performance. Dick Harrell and crew built them for East Coast and Mid Country customers and Bill Thomas for the West Coast! But even a funny thing happened, many East Coast "Racer" or racer guys wanted a Bill Thomas built car (and most of these went to the tracks in the Eliminator Classes of AHRA and NHRA, while many West Coast enthusiasts and others from the lower 48 from the Nickey ads bought theirs from Nickey! Plus Nickey offered a one way plane ride to Chicago for any purchaser! So if you want to get a Nickey/Thomas 427 Camaro, you will get this buying tip first hand from me, look for Camaro Racers in those early 1967 year! That is were these cars are hiding! So you guys now have the clue!

The Race on Sunday, Buy on Monday thing was kind of becoming a Ford thing, as Chevrolet was officially not Racing! Nickey coined the motto of their own, "Order on Monday, Pickup on Thursday!"

OK there is a lot more, but I am tired of typing the story! But thinking about paralleling in the Corvette with Zora and loyalists in, with their rival Chevrolet and Vince Piggens and group!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-09-2018 at 08:14 AM.
63Corvette (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 01:12 PM
W Guy
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

Thomas also supplied a conversion kit to put a MK-IV into a solid axle Corvette. In '69 I bought a 396 out of PA that came with that kit, including headers, a bracket for the Z-bar and a few other things that I can't remember.
I appreciate your history about Thomas having Doug build headers. I never knew if he made his own or not in the '60s.

Verne
TCracingCA (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 05:30 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

I am on an actual computer looking at my 4:30am morning sleeping walking post.

I noticed that my iPhone eliminates my paragraph breaks!

Wow! I sure typed a lot!

Quick Reply: L88 Engines