C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 hardtop packaging

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 10:42 AM
64con
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default C2 hardtop packaging

Good morning,
I'm curious to see if anyone can provide me with info on getting a shipper to package a hardtop for shippment. I'm interested in a hardtop but I think shipping costs from the US to Canada are going to be expensive enough to change my mind. If someone could share any experience they have had with packaging and shipping hardtops, I would be grateful.
Thank you

Warren
Old 05-22-2016, 11:39 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 829 Likes on 573 Posts

Heres an old link on packaging one...hope it helps..

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-and-who.html
Old 05-22-2016, 01:15 PM
64con
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 66jack
Heres an old link on packaging one...hope it helps..

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-and-who.html
That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much!
Old 05-22-2016, 02:56 PM
kingwoodvette
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

I had a C2 top shipped from Ohio to Houston several years ago. The seller delivered to his local Old Domimion Freightlines facility. They packed it and delivered for about $225 as I remember-about 7 years ago.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:49 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

NOT that what I write will makes any difference...BUT I have had to repair damaged hard tops due to insufficient packaging. When it is being packaged..THINK OF THE WORST. And thus...build a structure that will hold the top securely so if it gets flipped over...or gets 'cart wheeled'. The top is not being stressed in any way.

BECAUSE ...all of the "THIS SIDE UP^" and 'TOP LOAD ONLY' stickers do not mean JACK SQUAT if they are not observed and respected.

I have built a frame work out of 1" x 1" wood and then secured the top and then encased it in 1/4" plywood. AND I do not worry about the weight as much as making sure the top get to where it needs to SAFELY and UNDAMAGED. No need to try to be cheap when you are trying to get it to where it needs to be....ESPECIALLY when they are no longer being made.

That's my opinion on that.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To C2 hardtop packaging

Quick Reply: C2 hardtop packaging