C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

65 L-76 Oil smells

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 09:50 PM
CWilson
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 65 L-76 Oil smells

Some of you are aware that I was given a 65 vert L-76. I have been working through the issues I can do myself. Hasn't run in 15-20 years.

I changed the oil, and it smells strongly of fuel. It also runs very rough, although the carb was rebuilt before it was last driven decades ago. I'm also getting a little smoke in the exhaust, and it smells TERRIBLE. Any suggestions or thoughts?

I put new plugs in it (AC 45R), and it ran great for about 20 seconds, then started back to it's smelly rough idling.

Last edited by CWilson; 05-23-2016 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:57 PM
ILBMF
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts

I would start with a compression test
Old 05-23-2016, 10:21 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

Have you ever thought about taking the car to a professional to get that beauty back on the road?

Pics?
Old 05-23-2016, 10:25 PM
CWilson
Advanced

Originally Posted by JackTripper
Have you ever thought about taking the car to a professional to get that beauty back on the road?

Pics?
Yes, I am taking it to a Corvette repair shop next week, I just wanted to tackle what I can, before hand.

41k original miles.
The following users liked this post:
JackTripper (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 10:32 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by CWilson
Yes, I am taking it to a Corvette repair shop next week, I just wanted to tackle what I can, before hand.

41k original miles.
Do you have any engine pics?

-Bruce
Old 05-23-2016, 10:46 PM
CWilson
Advanced

Last edited by CWilson; 05-23-2016 at 10:46 PM.
StingU2 (05-23-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 08:36 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Fuel pump

Fuel in the oil could also come from a bad fuel pump. Don't run the engine until you correct the problem. Fuel will dilute the oil and could damage bearings, rings etc. Jerry
Old 05-24-2016, 09:04 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

That's one very nice car you have there. IMO, remove the carburetor and install new gaskets and NEW needle and seats on both floats, don't forget the power valve gasket.

You can do this yourself, these gaskets can dry up from non use and leak including drawing fuel through the power valve gasket. The needles for the floats can shrink up from sitting without wet fuel causing problems. I let my Holley sit for six months one time and the carburetor fuel level ran high, engine ran rough, shut it off and next day it was normal again.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:32 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by tbarb
That's one very nice car you have there. IMO, remove the carburetor and install new gaskets and NEW needle and seats on both floats, don't forget the power valve gasket.

You can do this yourself, these gaskets can dry up from non use and leak including drawing fuel through the power valve gasket.
This the first place I would go.

There are Holley gaskets that don't shrink on the market now. I don't remember whether Holley makes them or aftermarket but that's the kind of gaskets I'd buy.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:28 AM
VITIV Coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 92 Posts

FYI: You might want to put a belt on that other pulley (idler). If that alternator pulley ever brakes you will not have anything to drive the waterpump, which will definatley cause you overheating problems.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:57 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
Fuel in the oil could also come from a bad fuel pump. Don't run the engine until you correct the problem. Fuel will dilute the oil and could damage bearings, rings etc. Jerry
Best advice so far...
Old 05-25-2016, 08:06 AM
71scgc
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

Check the plug cables at the distributor for correct firing order. I was trying to trace them out, but couldn't really.

Carter
Old 05-25-2016, 08:18 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry

nice....someone gave you that wow
Old 05-25-2016, 09:58 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I've never seen gasoline in the crankcase oil cause the plugs to foul.

I've seen carburetors that were flooding the engine, fouling the plugs and the excess/unburnt gasoline running down past the rings.

Last edited by MikeM; 05-25-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:14 PM
CWilson
Advanced

I was told by the mechanic (only works on Corvettes) that the car needs 30-35k worth of work to get the car back running safely. He wants to rebuild the engine, transmission, rear end, suspension, run all new brake and fuel lines, replace the rear spring and both trailing arms, etc.. A complete restoration of everything under the body. He said the body and frame were in really good condition.

I was thinking maybe 5K to get the few things that are safety issues fixed. (which was just a guess based on 0 actual knowledge) He also said the car was worth 22k and offered to buy it. I thought that price seemed really low, for a 65 vert L-76 with 45k original miles on original motor.

Thoughts on any of this?
Old 05-30-2016, 12:20 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

I was told by the mechanic (only works on Corvettes) that the car needs 30-35k worth of work to get the car back running safely. He wants to rebuild the engine, transmission, rear end, suspension, run all new brake and fuel lines, replace the rear spring and both trailing arms, etc.. A complete restoration of everything under the body. He said the body and frame were in really good condition.

I was thinking maybe 5K to get the few things that are safety issues fixed. (which was just a guess based on 0 actual knowledge) He also said the car was worth 22k and offered to buy it. I thought that price seemed really low, for a 65 vert L-76 with 45k original miles on original motor.

Thoughts on any of this?
I would find another mechanic................

Larry
Old 05-30-2016, 12:23 PM
CWilson
Advanced

Originally Posted by Powershift
I would find another mechanic................

Larry
Could you elaborate? Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To 65 L-76 Oil smells

Old 05-30-2016, 12:42 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

The offering price for your car is very low for what I see. Unless the frame and birdcage are both shot and require complete replacement..........and that is probably not the case.

I would start by running a compression and leak-down test on the engine, changing all fluids and lubes and rubber hoses, repacking the front wheel bearings, possibly rebuilding the brakes and replacing the pads (don't cut the rotors unless they are badly scored), replace points and plugs, install a cheap rebuild kit on the carb, check the gas tank for debris and sludge, and see if you can get it on the road. Tires may also be needed, but can be done a bit later after it is running.

You need a good/experienced vintage car or Corvette owner to help you make a list of what to do on the car to get it roadworthy and then follow the list. I provided a few thoughts above. Ohio has a LOT of good Corvette guys, so you should be able to find someone who can help. Hopefully you can do some things yourself..............if not, it will be much more difficult and costly.

Larry

Last edited by Powershift; 05-30-2016 at 12:43 PM.
CWilson (05-30-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 12:45 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

the guy is trying to steal the car from you....
Old 05-30-2016, 12:51 PM
CWilson
Advanced

Originally Posted by Powershift
The offering price for your car is very low for what I see. Unless the frame and birdcage are both shot and require complete replacement..........and that is probably not the case.

I would start by running a compression and leak-down test on the engine, changing all fluids and lubes and rubber hoses, repacking the front wheel bearings, possibly rebuilding the brakes and replacing the pads (don't cut the rotors unless they are badly scored), replace points and plugs, install a cheap rebuild kit on the carb, check the gas tank for debris and sludge, and see if you can get it on the road. Tires may also be needed, but can be done a bit later after it is running.

You need a good/experienced vintage car or Corvette owner to help you make a list of what to do on the car to get it roadworthy and then follow the list. I provided a few thoughts above. Ohio has a LOT of good Corvette guys, so you should be able to find someone who can help. Hopefully you can do some things yourself..............if not, it will be much more difficult and costly.

Larry
Has new tires, I replaced the calipers, pads and some of the brake lines. I've had it on the road and doesn't seem that bad to me. I know the carburetor needs new gaskets, possible rebuild.

Thanks for the info

Quick Reply: 65 L-76 Oil smells