C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Wiring Diagram/Instructions Needed for 65 327Alternator with Internal Regulator

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 04:56 PM
TCKT B8
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 & '11

Default Wiring Diagram/Instructions Needed for 65 327Alternator with Internal Regulator

I removed the external VR and jumped the 4 wires using a plug from the conversion kit. Problem I have is this: 12 v is applied thru the 2 wire input plug to the internal regulator when the ignition switch is off. When the ignition switch is in the run position 0 v is applied. The result is that the regulator is not charging the battery when the engine is running and is a source for discharging the battery when the ignition is off. I have done a ton of research on this and studied several wiring diagrams but have found nothing specific to a 65 C2. I am relatively sure the 12 v source is not connected to the ignition which I think I should be able to trace to a brown wire - but no luck so far finding that connection so far. There were no instructions with the "conversion kit."
Old 05-31-2016, 11:19 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

In a previous thread you mentioned something about " moving the blue wire to the drivers side". Or something to that effect. I'm thinking you are missing part of the alternator conversion harness.

Pictures below of the harness I got from Lectric Limited and the instructions.

Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
TCKT B8 (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 07:44 AM
TCKT B8
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09 & '11

Originally Posted by buns
In a previous thread you mentioned something about " moving the blue wire to the drivers side". Or something to that effect. I'm thinking you are missing part of the alternator conversion harness.
I purchased a chrome alternator with an internal regulator from Eckler's along with the conversion kit. The connectors on the pigtail in their kit does not work with my harness connector and the new alternator, but the plug on my old alternator was the same as the plug on the new alternator so my harness was a direct plug-in.

I received no installation instructions with either the conversion kit or the alternator, but a video I saw said to swap the blue an white wires. I was unable to confirm if the pigtail in the kit would do that so I swapped them at the plug. I suspect that was wrong and is now the likely the reason power is being continuously applied to the regulator causing the alternator case to be hot when the ignition is off. I currently have B+ on the right terminal labeled F on the new alternator and 12V switched by the ignition on the left terminal labeled R on the alternator. So I'm thinking switch them but am hesitant to try that.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:29 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 734 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by TCKT B8
I purchased a chrome alternator with an internal regulator from Eckler's along with the conversion kit. The connectors on the pigtail in their kit does not work with my harness connector and the new alternator, but the plug on my old alternator was the same as the plug on the new alternator so my harness was a direct plug-in.

I received no installation instructions with either the conversion kit or the alternator, but a video I saw said to swap the blue an white wires. I was unable to confirm if the pigtail in the kit would do that so I swapped them at the plug. I suspect that was wrong and is now the likely the reason power is being continuously applied to the regulator causing the alternator case to be hot when the ignition is off. I currently have B+ on the right terminal labeled F on the new alternator and 12V switched by the ignition on the left terminal labeled R on the alternator. So I'm thinking switch them but am hesitant to try that.
Like buns, I installed the Lectric Ltd. conversion harness when we rewired our '65 and went with a 12SI 3-wire internally regulated alternator. The attached PDF shows the connections using the LL harness and VR jumper.

Hope this is of some value. BTW There is a wealth of info at MAD Enterprises (just google mad electrical) and also at the LL web site.
DZ
TCKT B8 (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 02:45 PM
buns
Safety Car

The only chrome alternator I could find at Ecklers (p/n 25-121574-1) appears to be a stock replacement for use with an external regulator. Here's a few pics from Powermasters site showing the difference between a 10DN and a 10SI.

Attached Images   
TCKT B8 (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 04:50 PM
TCKT B8
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09 & '11

The only chrome alternator I could find at Ecklers (p/n 25-121574-1) appears to be a stock replacement for use with an external regulator. Here's a few pics from Powermasters site showing the difference between a 10DN and a 10SI.
That is the alternator I purchased. I called Eckler's again this AM and asked them if this alternator has an internal regulator or if it is for use with a stock regulator. I was told it has an internal regulator and that I needed the conversion kit to install it. I agree that it sure looks like the stock alternator. I'll check further.

Last edited by TCKT B8; 06-01-2016 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:54 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,092 Likes on 1,861 Posts

Originally Posted by TCKT B8
That is the alternator I purchased. I called Eckler's again this AM and asked them if this alternator has an internal regulator or if it is for use with an stock regulator. I was told it has an internal regulator and that I needed the conversion kit to install it. I agree that it sure looks like the stock alternator.
Tom,
The female receptacle on the internal regulated alternator is completely different that the female receptacle for the externally regulated alternator. I'm sure this is by design so that mistakes are avoided. You should have received a two wire adapter with receptacles on each end. One end of the wire adapter should resemble the female end of an externally regulated alternator and the other end of the adapter will fit only an internally regulated alternator. Follow the instructions that Dave sent for you earlier. This conversion couldn't be simpler. Did you install the initial internally regulated alternator? I ask only because in your original post you mentioned not being able to find a wiring diagram to help you with this issue on your '65...the '65 didn't originally come with this setup. Hope this helps.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:14 PM
buns
Safety Car

Looks like the tech guys at Ecklers need a proof reader for their item descriptions. First they say it's internally regulated, then further down say it's for use with an external regulator which it definitely is, as proven by the 2nd picture showing the 10DN connector.

Feel free to send them a link to this thread.

Attached Images   
Old 06-02-2016, 01:53 PM
TCKT B8
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09 & '11

Looks like the tech guys at Ecklers need a proof reader for their item descriptions. First they say it's internally regulated, then further down say it's for use with an external regulator which it definitely is, as proven by the 2nd picture showing the 10DN connector.

Feel free to send them a link to this thread.
This is the alternator I have. I called Eckler's yesterday and pointed out the problem with their item description and the "tech" guy said it is an internally regulated alternator. Obviously it is not an internally regulated alternator so I'm going to re-install the stock voltage regulator and I'll let you all know the results.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:16 PM
TCKT B8
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09 & '11

So I installed the stock voltage regulator and everything checks out - starts, runs charges correctly. Bad on Eckler's, but many thanks to all of you who responded.

Get notified of new replies

To Wiring Diagram/Instructions Needed for 65 327Alternator with Internal Regulator

Quick Reply: [C2] Wiring Diagram/Instructions Needed for 65 327Alternator with Internal Regulator