C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] 427 Hood Clearance Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 08:52 PM
Donnie V
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 427 Hood Clearance Issue

Hope someone can help. 1965 originally BB bought it with a 327. Putting in a 427 and desperately need information. Want to go with an Edelbrock Performer intake with a Holley 770 cfm. Edelbrock catalogue says Performer intake will not fit Corvette hood. Called Edelbrock and they don`t know if this refers to the stock SB hood or also includes the BB hood. Summit didn`t know nor a couple of speed shops in the area. Some say yes others no?? I have a set of oval port heads. Is anyone running a 427 with this manifold and do you have clearance issues with the hood? I you are running another intake without issues let me also know. The engine is now built and the only thing preventing a dyno run and getting the car back on the road is the intake. I don't want to buy an intake and then find out it doesn't fit. I would really appreciate any advice on this.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:18 PM
'65 rat
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Donnie V
Hope someone can help. 1965 originally BB bought it with a 327. Putting in a 427 and desperately need information. Want to go with an Edelbrock Performer intake with a Holley 770 cfm. Edelbrock catalogue says Performer intake will not fit Corvette hood. Called Edelbrock and they don`t know if this refers to the stock SB hood or also includes the BB hood. Summit didn`t know nor a couple of speed shops in the area. Some say yes others no?? I have a set of oval port heads. Is anyone running a 427 with this manifold and do you have clearance issues with the hood? I you are running another intake without issues let me also know. The engine is now built and the only thing preventing a dyno run and getting the car back on the road is the intake. I don't want to buy an intake and then find out it doesn't fit. I would really appreciate any advice on this.

What do you have for hood now?, am thinking minimum requirement is stock BB hood
Old 06-08-2016, 09:35 PM
Donnie V
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by '65 rat
What do you have for hood now?, am thinking minimum requirement is stock BB hood

Thanks for the quick reply. It presently has the original BB hood.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:44 PM
'65 rat
Advanced

Do you have the original 427 intake?, I would measure the dimensions if none can be found on net, lay square across carb flange to measure height of old and new, guessing should be pretty close to OEM?
Old 06-08-2016, 11:20 PM
Donnie V
Heel & Toe

Default 427 hood issues

Do you have the original 427 intake?, I would measure the dimensions if none can be found on net, lay square across carb flange to measure height of old and new, guessing should be pretty close to OEM?

No unfortunately I don't have the original manifold. When I got the car the original 396 was long gone and it had a 327 in it.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:04 AM
'65 rat
Advanced

I'm at work, when l get home i'll take breather off and give you overall measurement from top of carb to front flange on block where intake bolts to, stock '65 396 with factory aluminum intake, 3124 Holley carb, try pic as well, should give you a good idea??
The following users liked this post:
Donnie V (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 01:29 AM
65-StingRay
Burning Brakes

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Don't know for sure if that edelbrock manifold will fit but I think it should with the BB hood. I use a stock GM aluminum manifold in my '65 BB 427.
You can try the plasterseen or putty trick and put some on top of your air cleaner and then let the hood down slowly till it either touches the plasterseen or doesn't.

65-StingRay
Old 06-09-2016, 05:41 AM
'65 rat
Advanced

I'm at work, when l get home i'll take breather off and give you overall measurement from top of carb to front flange on block where intake bolts to, stock '65 396 with factory aluminum intake, 3124 Holley carb, try pic as well, should give you a good idea??
Ok from top of carb where breather sits to top front flange on block the square measurement is 8 inches high, not including horn or carb stud, add 2 more inches, 10 overall, ran out of hands to take pictures, hope it helps?

Last edited by '65 rat; 06-09-2016 at 05:41 AM.
Donnie V (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 07:06 AM
Mossy66
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I think it will fit...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tock-hood.html

Gerry
Donnie V (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 11:31 AM
RoudyRick
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a 66 original 427 with the correct hood. When I bought it it had an Edelbrock Performer with an AFB carb and it cleared the hood fine without an air cleaner. The air cleaner would clear but was butchered sooooo bad it wasn't an air cleaner any more I wanted a Holley and had the same problem your having, it wouldn't clear with a performer manifold. After much research and testing I found that the Edelbrock C396 manifold with a Holley was the best performance and clearance package I run a 3" filter element and a 1/4" heat spacer under the Holley, a 1/2" will clear but is a bit tight.

Last edited by RoudyRick; 06-09-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:05 PM
Donnie V
Heel & Toe

Default 427 Hood issues

Ok from top of carb where breather sits to top front flange on block the square measurement is 8 inches high, not including horn or carb stud, add 2 more inches, 10 overall, ran out of hands to take pictures, hope it helps?
Thanks for taking the time to measure it I really appreciate it. if I am reading this correctly it looks like the performer might fit. Correct me if I am wrong but it looks like there are 10 inches from the block to the top of the carb stud & horn. The Edelbrock is 4.85 inches, plus 3 1/2
inches for the Holley gives me 8 1/2 inches. If I use a 2inch element on a drop base air cleaner it should fit. Does this sound right?
Old 06-09-2016, 05:28 PM
'65 rat
Advanced

Thanks for taking the time to measure it I really appreciate it. if I am reading this correctly it looks like the performer might fit. Correct me if I am wrong but it looks like there are 10 inches from the block to the top of the carb stud & horn. The Edelbrock is 4.85 inches, plus 3 1/2
inches for the Holley gives me 8 1/2 inches. If I use a 2inch element on a drop base air cleaner it should fit. Does this sound right?

NP, 2" will easily fit, should be able to put stock one on, remember the breather envelopes the carb so it sits lower, the high point would be the carb stud, about equal with breather lid.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:31 PM
Procrastinateur
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 37 Posts

Make sure that you use the big block motor mounts. They look interchangeable with small block, but the engine will sit higher if you use the small block ones.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:38 PM
Donnie V
Heel & Toe

NP, 2" will easily fit, should be able to put stock one on, remember the breather envelopes the carb so it sits lower, the high point would be the carb stud, about equal with breather lid.
65 Rat, thank you for your input it was invaluable. I also spoke to Edelbrock again today and they told me the Performer 2.0 will fit as long as it is a BB hood. The warning is for people who try to drop a BB into a SB car using the old hood.
Engine should be ready to go in next week, will let you know.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:40 PM
Donnie V
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Procrastinateur
Make sure that you use the big block motor mounts. They look interchangeable with small block, but the engine will sit higher if you use the small block ones.
Thanks, I never thought of that. Was going to use my SB ones. Its little things like this that can save a world of time. Appreciate it.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:44 PM
'65 rat
Advanced

65 Rat, thank you for your input it was invaluable. I also spoke to Edelbrock again today and they told me the Performer 2.0 will fit as long as it is a BB hood. The warning is for people who try to drop a BB into a SB car using the old hood.
Engine should be ready to go in next week, will let you know.

Ok good, I'm just in process of wiring and installing cooling system, very close myself, although engine has never fired yet, no dyno at builder, cross my fingers and hope to hear the big block bark??
Where you from?, i'm in SW Ontario.

Last edited by '65 rat; 06-09-2016 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:22 PM
Donnie V
Heel & Toe

Ok good, I'm just in process of wiring and installing cooling system, very close myself, although engine has never fired yet, no dyno at builder, cross my fingers and hope to hear the big block bark??
Where you from?, i'm in SW Ontario.
65Rat - I am in Toronto. My engine is being built by Stefko Racing in Stouffville, about half hour out of Toronto. He builds a lot of circle track and drag race engines. I got my car in Scottsdale Ariz. from the widow of the original owner. Car was in storage since the early 80's when original owner passed away, car had 50K miles on it when I got it. But original engine had been blown up and replaced with a 327. It went very well but I have always driven BB cars and missed the adrenaline charge only a BB can give you. I drove to Summit Racing and bought all the parts he needed last week so it should be ready next week. He has two dynos and all his engines are dynoed to make sure they produce what he says they will. There is nothing like the sound of a BB nor the torque they put out.
Where in SW Ontario are you?

Get notified of new replies

To 427 Hood Clearance Issue

Old 06-10-2016, 01:02 AM
'65 rat
Advanced

Sounds like a good solid car to start from, got mine from Kentucky state about 10+ years ago, guy had German shepherd chained to it, dog liked to climb up on back deck, scratched down to glass, had a '69 roadster that played with and restored then, this was my forever car, just about there, yes, agreed about BB!!, run one in my boat too, nothing like it!, was a 396 BB car with NOM in it, had a date coded correct 396 962 block shipped from California, Engine was built by Achison racing in London, turns out just south of you in a little town called Corunna on ST Clair river, nice spot, maybe see you at a show sometime, good luck with car!!

Last edited by '65 rat; 06-10-2016 at 01:27 AM.
Donnie V (06-10-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 01:21 AM
BruZe06
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 55 Posts

Another option is to use the 2" L88 drop base.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:04 PM
RoudyRick
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BruZe06
Another option is to use the 2" L88 drop base.

If you haven't noticed unless you have the you get ignored.

Donnie V (06-13-2016)

Quick Reply: [C2] 427 Hood Clearance Issue