C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

dropping in FI distributor

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 05:27 PM
ah53
Burning Brakes

Received 491 Likes on 176 Posts

Default dropping in FI distributor

Are there any tricks to doing this? I spent about an hour today and can't seem to get it right. I seems when I get it right with the pin on the collar the rotor is wrong. If I try to get the rotor in the right place it doesn't want to drop.

Thanks for any help.

Joe
Old 06-12-2016, 05:32 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

it shouldn't be anymore difficult than getting the engine on top dead center, the rotor pointed at approximately #1, and then dropping it in by letting it rotate to line up with #1.

as you know, the base only fits one way...
Bill

hopefully you have loosened the collar clamp that allows the top of the distributor to rotate independently of the base....

Last edited by wmf62; 06-12-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:30 PM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,120 Likes on 576 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by wmf62
it shouldn't be anymore difficult than getting the engine on top dead center, the rotor pointed at approximately #1, and then dropping it in by letting it rotate to line up with #1.

Bill

hopefully you have loosened the collar clamp that allows the top of the distributor to rotate independently of the base....
Also that the oil pump slot is in the correct rotation...
The following users liked this post:
ah53 (06-12-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 06:34 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Vettrocious
Also that the oil pump slot is in the correct rotation...
yep, that too....
Bill
Old 06-12-2016, 09:29 PM
ah53
Burning Brakes

Bill

This being my first fuelie I'm learning as I go hence I did not loosen the clamp and I'm guessing that is my problem. Thank you for the help.

Joe
Old 06-13-2016, 10:54 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

It just amazes me that people keep saying line it up at TDC #1 of the compression stroke. So how are you going to get it somewhat close to the correct initial timing? Guess?

Line up the balancer notch at the target initial timing value on the timing tab.

Then when the distributor is seated, and the balancer notch is on the proper initial timing value on the tab, merely rotate it until the points just begin to open. You can do this with an ohm meter or eyeball, and with a little practice you will be within a couple of degrees of the correct value so the engine will start easily. Then tweak the distributor to the exact target value with a timing light, or set the total WOT advance while revving the engine a few hundred RPM above the point were full centrifugal advance is in.

On FI distributors you tighten the base clamp bolt and an angular position that minimizes the bend in the FI pump drive cable, then set the timing by rotating the top of the distributor and snugging down the band clamp.

Duke

P. S. I have a special tool that I use to tweak the oil pump intermediate drive shaft as required. It's commonly called a "pain mixing stick"!

Last edited by SWCDuke; 06-13-2016 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:12 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

As far as getting the dizzy to drop,

once you KNOW you are at TDC #1 firing position (and not TDC #6), drop the dizzy into the hole such that the rotor should be in the correct position once fully seated. As you noticed, the rotor turns as you drop in into the cam gear.

It does not matter if it has seated in the pump shaft at this point.

Now, crank the motor over, either by hand, or the starter,and the dizzy will drop down into position as it rotates over the oil pump shaft.

Now install the dizzy lock at just not tight,a nd do the timing as Duke mentioned.

Easy-peasy.

Doug
Old 06-13-2016, 07:26 PM
ah53
Burning Brakes

Doug and Duke

Thank you both for your detailed instructions. i should be hard pressed not to get it right with them. Duke I am familiar with static timing and have used it often with the Healeys. I don't know why but the fixed base of the fuelie distributor and the rotating head are boggling my mind. I'm sure once I get to it things will come together. Doug, your method of dropping the distributor is amazing in its simplicity and I'm a sure revelation to many who read this.
I should get to this on the weekend and will report back. Again thank you both.

Joe
Old 06-13-2016, 07:35 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by ah53
Doug and Duke

Thank you both for your detailed instructions. i should be hard pressed not to get it right with them. Duke I am familiar with static timing and have used it often with the Healeys. I don't know why but the fixed base of the fuelie distributor and the rotating head are boggling my mind. I'm sure once I get to it things will come together. Doug, your method of dropping the distributor is amazing in its simplicity and I'm a sure revelation to many who read this.
I should get to this on the weekend and will report back. Again thank you both.

Joe

the fixed base is because the tach drive needs to be in a specific orientation, the rotating top allows you to set the timing..

but I guess you've already figured that out...

Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 06-13-2016 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:53 PM
ah53
Burning Brakes

the fixed base is because the tach drive needs to be in a specific orientation, the rotating top allows you to set the timing..

but I guess you've already figured that out...

Bill
Bill

I did but my brain hurt afterwards.

Joe

Get notified of new replies

To dropping in FI distributor

Quick Reply: dropping in FI distributor